A Levels today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a joke like. 4 year today I got mine and made the decision to move away.

got told in an assembly in front of the full year I shouldn’t have applied for where I did as I’d never have got in.

would have never have been to do that under this bull**** algorithm.

Little Miss DaveyC is devastated. Predicted A for English and B for History. Never went below that in any assessment in two years. Ended up as B and C. Twats.

Has she got mocks that might help? If so keep eye out for appeals process via school next week. Was she going to uni, and had she rung her first choice? Well worth doing if so. (assuming she's not got in, if she has, that's great and the A levels won't matter in the end)

Nothing like a bit of news to take the covid off the front pages for a bit, sadly we live in a world where this kind of thing happens, I feel sorry for this up and coming generation

It said on news 40% of the kids got downgraded using this wonderful scheme. The appeal system which should sort it all out isn't up and running yet. Another complete fook up by the Government.
We aren't back in schools and colleges until 24th and deadline is set for 31st. We've had no guidance but plenty of obstacles to appealing. It's a complete and utter mindless clusterfuck.

Resits - not a hope unless you take a gap year
Appeals - I'd estimate 1 student in 100 hits potential in their mocks. Anybody else appealing will need a hell of a case it seems and have to pay for it. School/college makes the appeal. Uni places will have gone to the Welsh, sweaty socks and international students before this is resolved. I can't see unis delaying when they are in the shit financially.
Mock grade fall back - see above = laughable in most cases

Triple lock my arse!

I feel so very sorry for these kids and insulted as a teacher. Shit loads of work went into preparing robust, well evidenced predicted grades, only for them to be ignored and worse still publicly used to blame the teachers for this mess.

For the first time in many years, those students who go into their ludicrous one chance only exams hyperventilating with nerves to then bomb it inexplicably and despite huge potential, didn't happen. We see roughly 20% of students who do not cope with their live exam and it's almost impossible to identify who it will happen to. THAT is what saw a spike in the grades, or at least would have if we'd been trusted. Reform it to be more modular is what is needed.

Rant ower

We aren't back in schools and colleges until 24th and deadline is set for 31st. We've had no guidance but plenty of obstacles to appealing. It's a complete and utter mindless clusterfuck.

Resits - not a hope unless you take a gap year
Appeals - I'd estimate 1 student in 100 hits potential in their mocks. Anybody else appealing will need a hell of a case it seems and have to pay for it. School/college makes the appeal. Uni places will have gone to the Welsh, sweaty socks and international students before this is resolved. I can't see unis delaying when they are in the shit financially.
Mock grade fall back - see above = laughable in most cases

Triple lock my arse!

I feel so very sorry for these kids and insulted as a teacher. Shit loads of work went into preparing robust, well evidenced predicted grades, only for them to be ignored and worse still publicly used to blame the teachers for this mess.

For the first time in many years, those students who go into their ludicrous one chance only exams hyperventilating with nerves to then bomb it inexplicably and despite huge potential, didn't happen. We see roughly 20% of students who do not cope with their live exam and it's almost impossible to identify who it will happen to. THAT is what saw a spike in the grades, or at least would have if we'd been trusted. Reform it to be more modular is what is needed.

Rant ower
At least in Scotland before they did a uturn and went with the teachers estimate they'd already said any appeal would be free. Really feel for any kids effected, their whole future could be wrecked by this bunch of twats.

Little Miss DaveyC is devastated. Predicted A for English and B for History. Never went below that in any assessment in two years. Ended up as B and C. Twats.
I know how you feel, my son has got into uni, but he's been affected in his main subject in similar fashion. Phoned him yesterday, he was in a pub, he explained that no one really felt like celebrating, even those with good results, as they all knew others in the group who'd been shafted, just told to get a few down them, wake up tomorrow and start assessing what to do, nothing is ever the end of the world, although hard telling the lads there that.

On local social media about a Hartlepool student who got AAB in mocks and was predicted to get AAA , but was marked down to BBB and doesnt make the cut for her chosen Uni

Lass on the ITV north east news now.

Taking the government to court because her grades weren't as good as she thinks they should be.

However doesn't want to use her mock results either as she "didn't really try for them and started working hard after Xmas"

Boo f***ing hoo, farcical, should've tried harder in her mocks, she's now got nowt to back up her claim that she should have three As

Taking the government to court because her grades weren't as good as she thinks they should be.

However doesn't want to use her mock results either as she "didn't really try for them and started working hard after Xmas"

Boo f***ing hoo, farcical, should've tried harder in her mocks, she's now got nowt to back up her claim that she should have three As
Bollocks that mate.

Nobody takes mocks expecting them to count. That's why they're f***ing mock exams.

Nobody taking their mocks had any reason to believe they would be the basis on which they got into Uni.

The basis on which results have been determined is what's farcical and the government should be held to account for it.

Make them all sit an exam.
Let's see how many over graded cry with that one.

Yeah, sitting an exam after not having finished the syllabus and having had no school/college for 7 months.

Mocks are completely non-standard. I'm sure some schools make their mocks super-hard to give the kids a wake-up call thinking that's for the best.

Last edited:
Bollocks that mate.

Nobody takes mocks expecting them to count. That's why they're f***ing mock exams.

Nobody taking their mocks had any reason to believe they would be the basis on which they got into Uni.

The basis on which results have been determined is what's farcical and the government should be held to account for it.

Aye because the teachers may not have given inflated marks, it's not like they are judged on results ........

Oh had on

If they'd gone with the teachers marks they would have been astronomically high and out of all proportion with prior years man.

As and A stars awarded increased .....

And no students fall apart when the pressure is on, nope not one ..........

Last edited:
Yeah, sitting an exam after not having finished the syllabus and having had no school/college for 7 months.

Where did I mention them not finishing the syllabus?
They didn’t finish the syllabus with mock exams either so is that fine as long as they weren’t marked down?

It’s a joke either way.
Sorry Sir, is it a detention or lines?

No idea what people expected the government to do.

This has never happened before, and mock exams are a poor way to judge things (I certainly didn't take mine seriously, unlike the real thing).
Teachers will always over-estimate

So what else can you do but use a normal distribution chart against each establishment, and moderate the scores accordingly?
Hell, they do the same thing with real exam results every year anyway.

Friends daughter got a ABB rather than predicted A*A*A* but fortunately still enough to get in her first choice of Leeds. Some of the downgrading is a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back