84% OPPOSE The Hundred

The Blast has 18 counties and could, if scheduled properly, i.e. in August/September when England have finished, consist of England players + 4 overseas. Each round has 150-200000 spectators, thousands of kids watching the game in person, gripped by the action and wanting to get their bat and ball out in the field and play cricket. And the county game flourishes. However, I suspect we'll be left with 8 counties in years to come and watching the game on TV won't inspire kids from up here, and other places where the remaining counties have gone.

Hope its a massive failure.

Everytime ive seen it advertised on Facebook its full of negative comments.

The response to the T20 idea was fairly luke warm from many cricket fans iirc.

I'm just playing devils advocate by the way, I have my reservations about the T100 too. This does stink a bit of the ECB trying to get one up on the BCCI that nicked the T20 idea, pimped it up and took the game to a different level as well as their bank balance.

Last edited:
People are screaming for cricket on free to air TV to raise the sports profile and remedy participation levels. They didn't need to invent the f***ing 100 to do this.
Why not call the 50 over format The 300, with "This is Sparta !" played over the tannoy at the fall of a wicket ?
:lol: I hope nobody from the ECB reads this page

Last edited:
People are screaming for cricket on free to air TV to raise the sports profile and remedy participation levels. They didn't need to invent the f***ing 100 to do this.

:lol: I hope nobody from the ECB reads this page

I could not agree more that you did not need to invent the hundred to get cricket on free to air.

But the bottom line is at the moment it looks like it’s the only format that is going to be on free to air telly.

Therefore everyone should hope it does increase participation in the game because the simple fact is more participation at kids level is needed!

I will never get my head round people wanting something to fail that could do that?

Last edited:
I could not agree more that you did not need to invent the hundred to get cricket on free to air.

But the bottom line is at the moment it looks like it’s the only format that is going to be on free to air telly.

Therefore everyone should hope it does increase participation in the game because the simple fact is more participation at kids level is needed!

I will never get my head round people wanting something to fail that could do that?

There are good reasons why people want it to fail.

The summer schedule is already overcrowded and now the ECB bring in a new format with strange rules. That is 4 different formats 3 of which are limited overs. The fear is that having already having a couple of games shaved off, it is felt the County Championship is seriously under threat. The spectators of our premier tournament are considered as dinosaurs.

I remember when T20 began with just a handful of games and the ECB said the wouldn't expand it. Well they did. However that did end up a good thing as it is very popular today. So why bring in another? It can only be for the money and no doubt it will expand if it's a success as more new teams get invented. That will result in the CC being slashed again and again until it is no more. Death by a thousand cuts.

Very few supporters trust the ECB. That is certainly the case in Durham where we felt the full force of what they are capable of.

Ido not make any apology for wanting the Hundred to die on its arse. The sooner the better.

There are good reasons why people want it to fail.

The summer schedule is already overcrowded and now the ECB bring in a new format with strange rules. That is 4 different formats 3 of which are limited overs. The fear is that having already having a couple of games shaved off, it is felt the County Championship is seriously under threat. The spectators of our premier tournament are considered as dinosaurs.

I remember when T20 began with just a handful of games and the ECB said the wouldn't expand it. Well they did. However that did end up a good thing as it is very popular today. So why bring in another? It can only be for the money and no doubt it will expand if it's a success as more new teams get invented. That will result in the CC being slashed again and again until it is no more. Death by a thousand cuts.

Very few supporters trust the ECB. That is certainly the case in Durham where we felt the full force of what they are capable of.

Ido not make any apology for wanting the Hundred to die on its arse. The sooner the better.

The problem is mate, too many people want to talk about the ECB and their obsession with them.

Rather than the most important thing which is that free to air cricket is now available.

If kids watch it and take up the game that is miles more important than the f***ing ECB!

The bottom line is you right the hundred is probably not needed but free to air cricket certainly is?

And anything that possibly gets new blood into the game needs to be encouraged.

The problem is mate, too many people want to talk about the ECB and their obsession with them.

Rather than the most important thing which is that free to air cricket is now available.

If kids watch it and take up the game that is miles more important than the f***ing ECB!

The bottom line is you right the hundred is probably not needed but free to air cricket certainly is?

I mean we could take the money being spent on a The Hundred and spend that on infrastructure and marketing instead of giving it to over the hill, out of shape 30-somethings looking for a pay day at the expense of clubs most likely to be in the poorest areas of the country but whatever.

I mean we could take the money being spent on a The Hundred and spend that on infrastructure and marketing instead of giving it to over the hill, out of shape 30-somethings looking for a pay day at the expense of clubs most likely to be in the poorest areas of the country but whatever.

Who are the over the hill players?

Gayle smashed England all over less than a year ago!

And Maligna bowled a brilliant last over the win the IPL final only this year!

Anyway the point for me is to get kids watching the game and taking up the game and could not care less what form of the game that is as long as on free to air and achieving that objective.

So put T20 on free to air then if TV is the important issue. Or 50 over cricket. What the kids are going to see instead is a weird version of cricket. What made cricket popular this summer albeit briefly? Our World Cup win. What else this summer got everyone excited? Ben Stokes turning an Ashes test defeat into victory? Those two incidents do more for cricket in this country than a Mickey Mouse made up format will ever do.

The ECB are envious they invented something that become much bigger in India & Australia. Why there and not here? Well those countries don't have football as their most popular game. Football here is talked about all year round. Cricket doesn't get much of a chance even if they stuck it on the BBC. I predict after the initial curiosity ratings will decline and the BBC will put the rest of the games on BBC4 or on the red button.

Didnt need a new format for free to air. Also it has chamged the very rules of cricket. So if youngsters do enjoy it, its nothing like the real game. It will probably infect village cricket as well

So put T20 on free to air then if TV is the important issue. Or 50 over cricket. What the kids are going to see instead is a weird version of cricket. What made cricket popular this summer albeit briefly? Our World Cup win. What else this summer got everyone excited? Ben Stokes turning an Ashes test defeat into victory? Those two incidents do more for cricket in this country than a Mickey Mouse made up format will ever do.

The ECB are envious they invented something that become much bigger in India & Australia. Why there and not here? Well those countries don't have football as their most popular game. Football here is talked about all year round. Cricket doesn't get much of a chance even if they stuck it on the BBC. I predict after the initial curiosity ratings will decline and the BBC will put the rest of the games on BBC4 or on the red button.

Yeah I think T20 should have been on free to air too instead of the hundred!

But the bottom line is it isn’t and the only free to air cricket been shown is the hundred which could increase participation and take up of the game, yet people want it to fail!!!

Who are the over the hill players?

Gayle smashed England all over less than a year ago!

And Maligna bowled a brilliant last over the win the IPL final only this year!

Anyway the point for me is to get kids watching the game and taking up the game and could not care less what form of the game that is as long as on free to air and achieving that objective.
And he looked out of shape and disinterested at the World Cup.

Malinga didn't even chart in the top 20 of in terms of best bowling averages at the CWC.

Even though i've made the point a dozen times, i'll make it again; If FTA coverage guaranteed success then why aren't sports like Rugby League, Snooker and Cycling not bigger than Football? Both in terms of popularity and participation numbers. Hence why I said in my last post that the ECB should concentrate on marketing and improving facilities.

FWIW: I'm not as opposed to a franchise/city based league in England as I was but The Hundred is a ridiculous concept, especially with the amount of money going into it from the ECB's end and also the opposition from 84% of Cricket fans.

Didnt need a new format for free to air. Also it has chamged the very rules of cricket. So if youngsters do enjoy it, its nothing like the real game. It will probably infect village cricket as well

That’s we it’s needed man becuase village cricket is getting less and less participation every season and village cricket teams are folding and conceding games with regularity!
And he looked out of shape and disinterested at the World Cup.

Malinga didn't even chart in the top 20 of in terms of best bowling averages at the CWC.

Even though i've made the point a dozen times, i'll make it again; If FTA coverage guaranteed success then why aren't sports like Rugby League, Snooker and Cycling not bigger than Football? Both in terms of popularity and participation numbers. Hence why I said in my last post that the ECB should concentrate on marketing and improving facilities.

FWIW: I'm not as opposed to a franchise/city based league in England as I was but The Hundred is a ridiculous concept, especially with the amount of money going into it from the ECB's end and also the opposition from 84% of Cricket fans.

Free to air doesn’t guarantee anything buts it’s worth a try?

Last edited:
That’s we it’s needed man becuase village cricket is getting less and less participation every season and village cricket teams are folding and conceding games with regularity!

Free to air doesn’t guarantee anything buts it’s worth a try?
Of course but it should be done with The Blast first before a franchise based league is introduced and also properly pitched to other terrestrial/streaming providers. Don't buy for a second that all the major broadcasters passed up on The Blast.

Of course but it should be done with The Blast first before a franchise based league is introduced and also properly pitched to other terrestrial/streaming providers. Don't buy for a second that all the major broadcasters passed up on The Blast.

I agree with that mate, but that ship has sailed and I simply want something to succeed to increase kids taking up the game!

Whatever format that is!

Worth a listen to The Analyst podcast this week, which features Botham. It’s comically bizarre...

Botham says he’s massively for The Hundred and the general sentiment is positive from the staff and members, with many members willing to travel to Headingley to watch games. Huw Tubervill then adds that that’s a significant statement given the distance to Leeds from Newcastle.

Absolute full house in terms of sending this place into a frenzy 😂

Last edited:
Worth a listen to The Analyst podcast this week, which features Botham. It’s comically bizarre...

Botham says he’s massively for The Hundred and the general sentiment is positive from the staff and members, with many members willing to travel to Headingley to watch games. Huw Tubervill then adds that that’s a significant statement given the distance to Leeds from Newcastle.

Absolute full house in terms of sending this place into a frenzy 😂
Well he's talking absolute shite
Any link to podcast?

Last edited:

Back