84% OPPOSE The Hundred

There will be a massive PR campaign early next year to sell tickets. Jazzy adverts with families enjoying their cricket night out etc.

I really can’t see it appealing - England fans prefer test and county set up. Ultimately it’s a kick in the teeth for northeast fans. I know Durham are well compensated- but it doesn’t help us fans.

Or perhaps people know far more about the game in this country, and in turn more about the ECB than you give them credit for.

People can also see that this being a success could result in the death of 10 Counties. Thus WEAKENING, the international team and the game as a whole.

Top Level Football in this country is fucked because there’s far too much money in it - our cricket administrators it seems wish to chase some of that money for themselves. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see that cricket could end up going down the same evil path as football.

I don’t think any of us want cricket to go down the evil path of football, because without a shadow of a doubt we are on the same page with that.

However to me the key point above all others for me in this debate is lack of participation of cricket at schools, local clubs everywhere.

You now amazingly have summer leagues for youngsters at football play stations, internet, club teams folding and conceding games left right and centre, I could go on and on.

Surely you must agree cricket needs participation and to attract new blood at all levels.

You wrong about me wanting ‘The Hundred’ to succeed.

What I want to succeed is a shorter format of the game and could not care less whether it’s the current T20 or ‘The Hundred’ as long as a shorter format is promoted and on free to air telly that is what is important imo.

To increase participation,longevity and attraction of the game is the most important point abive all others for me.

And I dont get traditional cricket fans wanting to destroy and wanting something to fail that could possibly do that.

And that’s before they have even watched one game!

Last edited:
Maybe just maybe it might be actually be a good idea to watch a few games before coming to conclusions.

Normally with anything new in most things it’s a good idea to keep a open mind and see how something goes?

And after that if you don’t like it fair enough.

The whole point is to atttact new audiences who because they new audience will not be included in this poll!

We already knew traditional fans were against, so is this anything we didn’t already know?
Who is this new audience? What is The Hundred going to give them that the Blast can't?

There will be a massive PR campaign early next year to sell tickets. Jazzy adverts with families enjoying their cricket night out etc.

I really can’t see it appealing - England fans prefer test and county set up. Ultimately it’s a kick in the teeth for northeast fans. I know Durham are well compensated- but it doesn’t help us fans.

Free tickets galore, that’s the only way the grounds will be remotely close to being full.

I predict the London grounds to be fullest, but it’ll be largely because there’s a larger group and importantly more fickle kind of person down there. For the record, I’m not talking about @TheRey or the PROPER supporters/members of Middlesex and Surrey.
However to me the key point above all others for me in this debate is lack of participation of cricket at schools, local clubs everywhere.

Surely you must agree cricket needs participation and to attract new blood at all levels.

To increase participation,longevity and attraction of the game is the most important point abive all others for me.

You don’t need a new competition to do that. You simply need the current SUCCESFUL ones to be more accessible.

Why isn’t the Blast on FTA?

How is reducing the teams by OVER half - thus reducing the amount of grounds the competition is played at by over half - making it more accessible?

Look at how many people watched the World Cup Final, how many people were hooked? How many people actively seeked cricket out in the weeks after that game? That wasn't 100 balls was it?

County cricket has been dying for over a hundred years, funny that isn’t it :rolleyes:
And I dont get traditional cricket fans.

We know you don’t, you’ve categorically proven that throughout the entire hundred debate.

This is the crux of the issue. You keep making all this noise about what cricket needs - yet you don’t even follow county cricket.

So respectfully, how can you have anything to add to a debate about county cricket when you admit yourself that you don’t follow it?

When people worry about county cricket, when they express legitimate concerns about the longevity of the likes of Northamptonshire and Somerset - you’re totally and utterly out of your depth.

So why don’t you leave the county cricket to the actual people who have a vested interest in it?

Last edited:
Who is this new audience? What is The Hundred going to give them that the Blast can't?

Free to air on the telly?

Would be happy for the blast to be on instead, but either way cricket needs a new audience to increase the interest in the game for the long term.
Free tickets galore, that’s the only way the grounds will be remotely close to being full.

I predict the London grounds to be fullest, but it’ll be largely because there’s a larger group and importantly more fickle kind of person down there. For the record, I’m not talking about @TheRey or the PROPER supporters/members of Middlesex and Surrey.

You don’t need a new competition to do that. You simply need the current SUCCESFUL ones to be more accessible.

Why isn’t the Blast on FTA?

How is reducing the teams by OVER half - thus reducing the amount of grounds the competition is played at by over half - making it more accessible?

Look at how many people watched the World Cup Final, how many people were hooked? How many people actively seeked cricket out in the weeks after that game? That wasn't 100 balls was it?

County cricket has been dying for over a hundred years, funny that isn’t it :rolleyes:

We know you don’t, you’ve categorically proven that throughout the entire hundred debate.

This is the crux of the issue. You keep making all this noise about what cricket needs - yet you don’t even follow county cricket.

So respectfully, how can you have anything to add to a debate about county cricket when you admit yourself that you don’t follow it?

When people worry about county cricket, when they express legitimate concerns about the longevity of the likes of Northamptonshire and Somerset - you’re totally and utterly out of your depth.

So why don’t you leave the county cricket to the actual people who have a vested interest in it?

I never mentioned county cricket or offered a debate on it, and have never pretended to be a expert on it,so not sure why the whole of your second post suggests I did?

I have no idea why the blast is not on free to air, and like I said would be happy for it to be, because the bigger picture is allowing kids to watch cricket on free to air telly.

At the moment rightly or wrongly there is going to be competition next year that is allowing that to happen, which may attract new blood to the game, yet people want it to fail?

Cricket needs new blood and more kids to take up the game!
We coming at this from diffrent angles, I just want to see more cricket available on free to air telly and whatever format it be that is on free to air telly should at least be given a chance.

Last edited:

Would be happy for the blast to be on instead, but either way cricket needs a new audience to increase the interest in the game for the long term.

I never mentioned county cricket or offered a debate on it, and have never pretended to be a expert on it,so not sure why the whole of your second post suggests I did?

You’re having a debate about the hundred but can’t see why county cricket being mentioned is relevant........ Not sure this debate is for you to be honest.

You’re having a debate about the hundred but can’t see why county cricket being mentioned is relevant........ Not sure this debate is for you to be honest.

Never said it wasn't relevant, so not sure why you need to put words in my mouth.

You can see my point, you follow cricket.

It is clear as day at local level in schools and clubs participation is dropping, it's also clear as day free to air telly will give kids the chance to watch more cricket.

Now yes it would have been ideal if the current T20 was promoted more and shown on free to air telly.

However it's not, it's gone we can't change it, there is now a new competition that may do that.

Would be nice if people could be at least open minded to see if achieves that objective.

Maybe people are more concerned about their own counties than the bigger picture of increased participation, it seems you are ( perhaps understanbly soo)

Once again it's something we miles apart on.

Last edited:
Not only am I against it, but I hope it fails.

Forget any arguments about "giving it a chance".They already have a 120 ball format. Why invent a 100 ball format? What next ? The 69 ? Why not call the 50 over format The 300, with "This is Sparta !" played over the tannoy at the fall of a wicket ?

But the main thing is that having fucked Durham over already, they are denied entry to this freak show, as well as any benefit, while the market for current domestic competitions of their ailing, now middle-class game, is cannibaised. Which is why I want it to fail so badly.

If they want to stimulate grass roots interest, they need to start in the schools, put more cricket on terrestrial TV and incentivise the clubs.

Last edited:

Forget any arguments about "giving it a chance".They already have a 120 ball format. Why invent a 100 ball format? What next ? The 69 ? Why not call the 50 over format The 300, with "This is Sparta !" played over the tannoy at the fall of a wicket ?

But the main thing is that having fucked Durham over already, they are denied entry to this freak show, as well as any benefit, while the market for current domestic competitions of their ailing, now middle-class game, is cannibaised. Which is why I want it to fail so badly.

Can’t argue with that.

It will be miles more ailing and middle class if it does though, that's the point. Not sure who you think will be watching Durham in 50 years' time when kids' interest is minuscule.

I have no idea why the blast is not on free to air, and like I said would be happy for it to be, because the bigger picture is allowing kids to watch cricket on free to air telly.

At the moment rightly or wrongly there is going to be competition next year that is allowing that to happen, which may attract new blood to the game, yet people want it to fail?

Cricket needs new blood and more kids to take up the game!
We coming at this from diffrent angles, I just want to see more cricket available on free to air telly and whatever format it be that is on free to air telly should at least be given a chance.
If Free to Air coverage guarantees success then Rugby League & Indoor Athletics would be bigger than Football.

Both the CPL & IPL have been on FTA TV here and both were ratings flops.

Edit: The London teams are going to get fucked over by the Junk Food ad-ban and sports journalists (Not Cricket journos) on Twitter are already laughing at it.

Last edited:
I was disagreeing with you man 😜
As things stand, who will be watching and playing in Durham in 50 years ?

Clubs are struggling. The county team is on a slow track to a new form of minor counties status, a feeder county for the chosen few (mostly southern, excluded from major revenue earning, which is where the (London centric) powers-that-be want us. There is little cricket on terrestrial TV, or in the schools. The Test match (if they still exist) will seem as remote a sporting event as the Boat Race or the Burghley horse trials.

I was playing (at a very modest level) when Durham joined county cricket.I thought with the strength of the game in the area, the addition of a professional county team with coaches and feeder systems could only make it even stronger. Barely 30 years on, it saddens me greatly to see the state of the game now. And some flash new gimmick, yet another rebrand of domestic cricket (just like T20 was not so long ago) is not going to help.

Last edited:
If Free to Air coverage guarantees success then Rugby League & Indoor Athletics would be bigger than Football.

Both the CPL & IPL have been on FTA TV here and both were ratings flops.

Edit: The London teams are going to get fucked over by the Junk Food ad-ban and sports journalists (Not Cricket journos) on Twitter are already laughing at it.

Of course is does not guarantee success, but with clubs folding and participation dropping do you not think been able to watch cricket and enjoy it on free to air is a good idea?
As things stand, who will be watching and playing in Durham in 50 years ?

Clubs are struggling. The county team is on a slow track to a new form of minor counties status, a feeder county for the chosen few (mostly southern, excluded from major revenue earning, which is where the (London centric) powers-that-be want us. There is little cricket on terrestrial TV, or in the schools. The Test match (if they still exist) will seem as remote a sporting event as the Boat Race or the Burghley horse trials.

I was playing (at a very modest level) when Durham joined county cricket.I thought with the strength of the game in the area, the addition of a professional county team with coaches and feeder systems could only make it even stronger. Barely 30 years on, it saddens me greatly to see the state of the game now. And some flash new gimmick, yet another rebrand of domestic cricket (just like T20 was not so long ago) is not going to help.

I am not sure of your point there like, other than let’s just give up!

Last edited:
Of course is does not guarantee success, but with clubs folding and participation dropping do you not think been able to watch cricket and enjoy it on free to air is a good idea?

I am not sure of your point there like, other than let’s just give up!
The point is that the game's future is better served by investing in making the game accessible and getting kids playing, rather than indulging in a retread of T20 with a high marketing budget.

I thought with the strength of the game in the area, the addition of a professional county team with coaches and feeder systems could only make it even stronger.

It did, we won three County Championships and two one day cups - the cricketing talent that the region has produced since 1992 cannot be faulted.

However, the establishment got jealous and decided to clip our wings. The rest, is history.

The future though, looks bright again, with that same excellent local structure proving to have fed our county once more with talent.

Only the hundred and the establishment can fuck us over again.........

The point is that the game's future is better served by investing in making the game accessible and getting kids playing, rather than indulging in a retread of T20 with a high marketing budget.

And you don't think more cricket available on free to air telly has a better chance than doing that than currently?

For example kids watching this then taking up playing, you have said yourself correctly that cricket is not what it was and that it is struggling on not in free to air telly and it saddens you the state of the game,, yet criticising someone to some body doing something about it.

Last edited:
It did, we won three County Championships and two one day cups - the cricketing talent that the region has produced since 1992 cannot be faulted.

However, the establishment got jealous and decided to clip our wings. The rest, is history.

The future though, looks bright again, with that same excellent local structure proving to have fed our county once more with talent.

Only the hundred and the establishment can fuck us over again.........

I don't know whether this has occurred to you, but this is not about Durham or the ECB.

It's about attracting new people to the game, because the future is not bright at all, as levels are dropping, clubs are folding and conceding games left right and centre.

What you now have in this area is a few elite clubs, while the majority of the rest are struggling and need new blood.

Last edited:

Back