84% OPPOSE The Hundred

Me cousin who don’t live that far from edgbasten messaged me last week about coming down to watch a game in it next summer

he was proper put out when i explained Id rather staple gun my testicles

He is the archetypal casual fan (sees a day or two of test ODI cricket annually at one of the big midlands grounds but no real affection for the game) so they’ve clearly enthused his type

This isn’t the worst thing he’s invited me too mind you.He once told me he had a spare ticket for soccer aid at OT and would I like to join him

9% neither support or oppose - so basically, it proves that mathematically barely anyone actually wants the fucker.

No, it's proves that 84% of the Cricketer's readership - which will be overwhelmingly white, middle aged and middle class - oppose it.

The ECB have dropped a load of clangers to hit that 84% but it doesn't prove anything in terms of them reaching to a new audience. I think they will achieve that aim and it'll benefit grass roots cricket.

No, it's proves that 84% of the Cricketer's readership - which will be overwhelmingly white, middle aged and middle class - oppose it.

The ECB have dropped a load of clangers to hit that 84% but it doesn't prove anything in terms of them reaching to a new audience. I think they will achieve that aim and it'll benefit grass roots cricket.

Bit racist that innit.
On a serious note though - it proves that over 90% don’t like the idea.

Yes, they want to appeal to a new audience, but by alienating over 90% of your current loyal fan base, you’re basically KILLING cricket.

Last edited:
Bit racist that innit.

Yes, they want to appeal to a new audience, but by alienating over 90% of your current loyal fan base, you’re basically KILLING cricket.

We'll see mate, I think the likes of me and you will hate it (although I hope it works). But 8 year old me would have probably got hooked in by it and that's what they're after and really need.

Bit racist that innit.

No he's right. These type of newpaper polls are inevitably biased, if you think that a proper polling company goes to great length to find a representative polling sample (and still often get it wrong) then you can see why.

At best it means that people who already like cricket don't like the idea of The Hundred, it doesn't say anything about this 'new audience' the ECB are punting this at.

No he's right. These type of newpaper polls are inevitably biased, if you think that a proper polling company goes to great length to find a representative polling sample (and still often get it wrong) then you can see why.

At best it means that people who already like cricket don't like the idea of The Hundred, it doesn't say anything about this 'new audience' the ECB are punting this at.

I never said it did. But, refer to my earlier point about alienating your loyal supporters.

Could have easily been done using current 20/20 leagues. Instead theyve pissed off clubs not involved and fans of cricket.
Yeah they may gain some new fans, but they wont be fans of cricket as such. Also if they got into it, they wouldnt actually enjoy the real cricket that the world actually plays, not just 8 counties. Relegate domestic competitions for this bastardisation of cricket, when we just won the 50over world cup, have previously won the 20/20 world cup and have a test side thats at a cross roads

Me cousin who don’t live that far from edgbasten messaged me last week about coming down to watch a game in it next summer

he was proper put out when i explained Id rather staple gun my testicles

He is the archetypal casual fan (sees a day or two of test ODI cricket annually at one of the big midlands grounds but no real affection for the game) so they’ve clearly enthused his type

This isn’t the worst thing he’s invited me too mind you.He once told me he had a spare ticket for soccer aid at OT and would I like to join him
I think disowning him is the only outcome like

Maybe just maybe it might be actually be a good idea to watch a few games before coming to conclusions.

Normally with anything new in most things it’s a good idea to keep a open mind and see how something goes?

And after that if you don’t like it fair enough.

The whole point is to atttact new audiences who because they new audience will not be included in this poll!

We already knew traditional fans were against, so is this anything we didn’t already know?

Maybe just maybe it might be actually be a good idea to watch a few games before coming to conclusions.

Normally with anything new in most things it’s a good idea to keep a open mind and see how something goes?

And after that if you don’t like it fair enough.

The whole point is to atttact new audiences who because they new audience will not be included in this poll!

We already knew traditional fans were against, so is this anything we didn’t already know?

You’re absolutely desperate for this to succeed aren’t you?

Pretty much the only supportive voice on here.

You’re absolutely desperate for this to succeed aren’t you?

Pretty much the only supportive voice on here.

Not really and I am not even supportive, I am just open minded and would like to see how it goes and watch it before making a view.

Plus I would like to see more people take up the game for the good of cricket and with more free to air cricket that is a strong possibility.

You would think people would watch something first before having such strong views.

But guess people are closed minded, and the fact people have such strong views without even watching one ball of the tournament bears that out sadly.
If anything people like yourself seem desperate for it too fail, which I find sad.

Last edited:
But guess people are closed minded, and the fact people have such strong views without even watching one ball of the tournament bears that out sadly.
If anything people like yourself seem desperate for it too fail, which I find sad.

Or perhaps people know far more about the game in this country, and in turn more about the ECB than you give them credit for.

People can also see that this being a success could result in the death of 10 Counties. Thus WEAKENING, the international team and the game as a whole.

Top Level Football in this country is fucked because there’s far too much money in it - our cricket administrators it seems wish to chase some of that money for themselves. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see that cricket could end up going down the same evil path as football.

Last edited:

Back