80s memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw the Damned in 79, seeing them again next year, hopefully.
I saw the damned at a punk festival a few years back, it will have been pap compared to seeing them in 79 as they’re all old men now, but it was ok. One off the list I suppose. I saw the Macc lads back in the late 80’s, that’s as close as I’ll have got to the atmosphere of a 70’s punk gig, it was utter bedlam, fights, a bottle off my heed, I loved every second of it :lol:

As an old bastard now I think I have the right to say the teenagers of today spend more time tarting themselves up and staring at a phone screen instead of getting out there,when allowed, and drinking themselves into oblivion while listening to classic music, and Depeche Mode.

I can remember when I was a lad finishing work on a Friday at half four, bus from Peterlee to Thornley, tea ready on table. Bath, ready and knocking on the window at the Colliery Inn before six.

Yes weebill as a fellow Thornleyer I can remember everybody turning out at six but you a tad older than me how time's has changed

80 - 84 My university years; Watching TISWAS in a completely full TV lounge on a Saturday morning. some great gigs Squeeze, the Jam, OMD, Slade, Roy Wood, Aswad, to name but a few.

There's a show on Radio 2 on Friday nights full of 80's music. I usually listen on catch up on a Monday at graft. Some canny tunes (with odd bit of shite tbf).

Unfortunately Gary Davies is still as boring today as he was then so you have to endure that but hey ho. (yes, he has a "bit in the middle" & a "sloppy bit").

There's a show on Radio 2 on Friday nights full of 80's music. I usually listen on catch up on a Monday at graft. Some canny tunes (with odd bit of shite tbf).

Unfortunately Gary Davies is still as boring today as he was then so you have to endure that but hey ho. (yes, he has a "bit in the middle" & a "sloppy bit").
Radio Solent Saturday morning ... Bubble gum n cheese... 9 til 11 very good 2 hours of nostalgia....

Lying on my Da's back when I was a nipper while he lay on the floor on a Sunday dinnertime watching the old black and white serial reruns like Lost in Space and Land of the Giants.
I hated those old re runs and hated sundays beyond belief when I was a kid.
Give me the Christmas radio times with Indiana Jones on the front cover and getting excited as fuck for real modern blockbusters on the box.

As an old bastard now I think I have the right to say the teenagers of today spend more time tarting themselves up and staring at a phone screen instead of getting out there,when allowed, and drinking themselves into oblivion while listening to classic music, and Depeche Mode.

I can remember when I was a lad finishing work on a Friday at half four, bus from Peterlee to Thornley, tea ready on table. Bath, ready and knocking on the window at the Colliery Inn before six.

Aye, how on earth did we survive before music/film downloads, social media, mobile phones etc.

A quick phone call on the land line to one of your mates to find time of meeting and where, if somebody wasn’t there tough. Just wander for a bit from place to place until either find them, or give up and head off.

miner's strike
greenham common

used to drive home from dorset as much as i could, car full of northern lads travelling up and down the country during a strike, didn't get pulled over as much as i thought we would. drove past greenham common for a look once or twice for no good reason as it was on the way.

Aye, how on earth did we survive before music/film downloads, social media, mobile phones etc.

A quick phone call on the land line to one of your mates to find time of meeting and where, if somebody wasn’t there tough. Just wander for a bit from place to place until either find them, or give up and head off.

If I was out late I could guess what pub my mates were in and at what time and catch them up easy enough. On some occasions I used to gan out at about ten o'clock, meet my mates for a couple then pull some bird at last orders and head home on the last bus at 11pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back