50.1% Of 30 year old women are childless.

Why? Is it the carrying the baby that concerns you?
Pregnancy seems very hard on women. perinatal depression is common, makes you hungry all the time & cranky.
Then the birth itself, excruciating pain and quite dangerous still (I know a girl who almost died during it).
Then after postnatal depression is very common (affects 1 in 3 I think), plus the work of looking after the baby etc.

I know there's positives but I just wouldn't do it.

Pregnancy seems very hard on women. perinatal depression is common, makes you hungry all the time & cranky.
Then the birth itself, excruciating pain and quite dangerous still (I know a girl who almost died during it).
Then after postnatal depression is very common (affects 1 in 3 I think), plus the work of looking after the baby etc.

There's the aftermath too. Heavy bleeding for a week or more, then the flow lessens but it drags on for about six weeks or so. You also get contractions as your uterus shrinks back into place.

Breastfeeding can be painful and difficult too. You have colostrum for the first couple of days. On the day the real milk comes in, your breasts go really hot, hard and painful and you can't stand having anything near them at all. It takes it out of your body making all the milk and feeding the baby which can go on for months depending on how long you can keep it up.

Just after giving birth, when your undercarriage feels like it's had barbed wire dragged through it, you're sleep deprived, your breasts hurt, you're leaking blood into your pants and milk into your bra, your belly looks like a burst balloon and you feel like utter shit. That's the point a cheery midwife pops round and says "now have you thought about contraception?" Can honestly say that was the last thing on my mind 😂

There's the aftermath too. Heavy bleeding for a week or more, then the flow lessens but it drags on for about six weeks or so. You also get contractions as your uterus shrinks back into place.

Breastfeeding can be painful and difficult too. You have colostrum for the first couple of days. On the day the real milk comes in, your breasts go really hot, hard and painful and you can't stand having anything near them at all. It takes it out of your body making all the milk and feeding the baby which can go on for months depending on how long you can keep it up.

Just after giving birth, when your undercarriage feels like it's had barbed wire dragged through it, you're sleep deprived, your breasts hurt, you're leaking blood into your pants and milk into your bra, your belly looks like a burst balloon and you feel like utter shit. That's the point a cheery midwife pops round and says "now have you thought about contraception?" Can honestly say that was the last thing on my mind 😂
You really know how to spoil things 😂

Well done titheed. Read this ^^^

your fault.

You wanna try having the snip!!!!

That might be one of the factors. In 1901, the UK average life expectancy was 45 for men, 49 for women. I'd be classed as ancient 122 years ago! People had bigger families and started earlier.
Life expectancy is meaningless if you don't factor out infant mortality. If you lived to see five, your average life expectancy back then might well have been into you 60s/70s.

Wife and I aimed to have our first at 30, for various reasons it didn't happen until 2 weeks ago, we are both 33, about to turn 34.

Having a 2nd now up in the air given we'd probably be 37 or so by then.

Typing this absolutely knackered after 2 weeks of broken sleep 😫 wouldn't change her for the world though!

Christ 😢
Women then do it again so can't be all bad??
My wife is pregnant btw.

Can't be that bad or they'd all stop at one tbf. Plus, not all women go through the same. The missus didnt find proper labour too bad. She found whatever they give to kick start things pretty bad mind so perhaps that's why. On the last point, blokes should be doing more than their fair share in the first few weeks whilst she recovers and gets some rest. I did.
Wife and I aimed to have our first at 30, for various reasons it didn't happen until 2 weeks ago, we are both 33, about to turn 34.

Having a 2nd now up in the air given we'd probably be 37 or so by then.

Typing this absolutely knackered after 2 weeks of broken sleep 😫 wouldn't change her for the world though!

Congrats. Get those early weeks over with and then it gets much better/easier. Those midnight and middle of the night feeds are killers.
You wanna try having the snip!!!!
That's ridiculous. No chance ever!

Last edited:
Christ 😢
Women then do it again so can't be all bad??
My wife is pregnant btw.
Can I just say first of all I have never given birth, however I always imagine it is like when you buy a beautiful pair of shoes. You wear them and they knack, you get home, kick them off and vow never to wear them again. But the blisters heal and you look at the shoes and you think they are so beautiful so you wear them again. And then it knacks all over again.

Mind you it is this x 42 million.....

I’ve got 4 boys with the wife from 11 through to nearly one having had the first mid twenties and its 100% tiring now a lot more than the first but i think the world n opinion is different now I think the worlds more ‘ female ‘ in its position of emotion and feeling so i’m a bit concerned about blokes growing up as the idea of being masculine is more difficult but unnecessary. There doesnt need to be masculine or feminine there just needs to be good and bad and right and wrong but we’re a lost in spectrums and shit.

I think too many people arent growing out of the ego-centric stage of childhood development and that explains a lot of the modern world

Also having kids is a significant risk n giving yourself a person that you love more than your partner ( or indeed yourself - which should be a given ) and that can be very impactful

I’ve got 4 boys with the wife from 11 through to nearly one having had the first mid twenties and its 100% tiring now a lot more than the first but i think the world n opinion is different now I think the worlds more ‘ female ‘ in its position of emotion and feeling so i’m a bit concerned about blokes growing up as the idea of being masculine is more difficult but unnecessary. There doesnt need to be masculine or feminine there just needs to be good and bad and right and wrong but we’re a lost in spectrums and shit.

I think too many people arent growing out of the ego-centric stage of childhood development and that explains a lot of the modern world

Also having kids is a significant risk n giving yourself a person that you love more than your partner ( or indeed yourself - which should be a given ) and that can be very impactful
Interesting post. I was reading something the other day about ""Main character syndrome"" apparently it's a thing but got worse since, yes you guessed it, the rise of social media.

Also your third paragraph. There is probably research and statistics re the break up of relationships after the arrival of a baby and how it impacted and facilitated the split.

Interesting, and I suppose something people should think about.

Interesting post. I was reading something the other day about ""Main character syndrome"" apparently it's a thing but got worse since, yes you guessed it, the rise of social media.

Also your third paragraph. There is probably research and statistics re the break up of relationships after the arrival of a baby and how it impacted and facilitated the split.

Interesting, and I suppose something people should think about.
In regard to the third paragraph theres so much that influences it, the kids are ultimately more important and anyone that argues against it shouldnt be a parent full stop so instantly you take a back step and you’ve got make the most of what time you can make together but that gets so hard and phones and the use of them makes that so much more difficult !

Can I just say first of all I have never given birth, however I always imagine it is like when you buy a beautiful pair of shoes. You wear them and they knack, you get home, kick them off and vow never to wear them again. But the blisters heal and you look at the shoes and you think they are so beautiful so you wear them again. And then it knacks all over again.

Mind you it is this x 42 million.....
Jesus! If a man made this analogy we would fully be expecting a slap. 😂

Back