[4th Test] South Africa v England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope Stokes doesn’t get on bother for this mind.
Why on earth fans think they can abuse people from the safety of their seat and then throw their hands up in faux incredulity is beyond me.
For the first time ever, I agree with you. Happens more at football than cricket, but the amount of times fans goad players under stress from the stands with abuse and insults, and then cry when the player reacts...fair play to Stokes for giving some back.

For the first time ever, I agree with you. Happens more at football than cricket, but the amount of times fans goad players under stress from the stands with abuse and insults, and then cry when the player reacts...fair play to Stokes for giving some back.

I've just got back in and read this.
Didn't realise Stokes had an altercation.

The way I see it, if a fan hoys personal abuse at a player, in whatever sport, ban him, or fine him, and if the offence warrants it, prosecute him.
Easy to say, but in football, the players just walk away from abuse, unless it is racist or aimed at his family, report it to a steward, even then, it goes with the territory.

They are professional sportsmen.

I realise, Stokes is obviously a bit angry with himself for getting out in such a fashion for a very low score and it is possible he is venting on the fan as well.

But calling someone a 4 eyed whatsit is at the very least a bit unprofessional

I've just got back in and read this.
Didn't realise Stokes had an altercation.

The way I see it, if a fan hoys personal abuse at a player, in whatever sport, ban him, or fine him, and if the offence warrants it, prosecute him.
Easy to say, but in football, the players just walk away from abuse, unless it is racist or aimed at his family, report it to a steward, even then, it goes with the territory.

They are professional sportsmen.

I realise, Stokes is obviously a bit angry with himself for getting out in such a fashion for a very low score and it is possible he is venting on the fan as well.

But calling someone a 4 eyed whatsit is at the very least a bit unprofessional
For me unprofessional is not preparing, training etc properly. Making poor decisions whilst out in middle that sort of thing.

Having a go back at some mouthy wanker who thinks it’s clever to abuse from safety of his seat is a very human reaction.

For me unprofessional is not preparing, training etc properly. Making poor decisions whilst out in middle that sort of thing.

Having a go back at some mouthy wanker who thinks it’s clever to abuse from safety of his seat is a very human reaction.
As I said, I've just got in, so only know what I've read in here and then a quick Google.

Genuine question. Do we know who this person is that hoyed abuse at Stokes?
Is he a "mouthy wanker" or did he say something innocuous?

I don't think that anyone should be calling someone a 4 eyed kerrnt, whether it is an England cricketer saying that or, or if someone should, for example say that to Jack Leach.

Until now, I really thought Stokes would make a great captain of England.
He is by far our best player, amazing commitment and dedication, iconic, in fact.

But now, I realise that he is too volatile, and all those things that make him the great player he is, also means that he doesn't have the temperament to be England Captain.

As I said, I've just got in, so only know what I've read in here and then a quick Google.

Genuine question. Do we know who this person is that hoyed abuse at Stokes?
Is he a "mouthy wanker" or did he say something innocuous?

I don't think that anyone should be calling someone a 4 eyed kerrnt, whether it is an England cricketer saying that or, or if someone should, for example say that to Jack Leach.

Until now, I really thought Stokes would make a great captain of England.
He is by far our best player, amazing commitment and dedication, iconic, in fact.

But now, I realise that he is too volatile, and all those things that make him the great player he is, also means that he doesn't have the temperament to be England Captain.
Well I’d say if he has hurled abuse at a Stokes that would make him a mouthy wanker.

Not sure why it's turned into such a big issue tbh. Some mouthy Boer hoying abuse at him and got what he deserved, just so happened it got caught on the pitchside mics. As for the game think we're in an excellent position. Hopefully get up to 300 which will be a good score here and against their dodgy batting line up

Last edited:
I already think we've scored enough to give bowlers something to work with. The Seuth Efreken batting is so fragile and lacking in confidence I can see a total as low as 400 could be enough for an innings victory.

I agree with that up to a point mate, although don’t think he is that overrated, just picked becuase lack of other options, in a diffrent era would be no where near the test side,

Just doesn’t rotate the strike and jûst gets totally bogged down.

Scott Borthwick or Sam Hain could challenge the perceived lack of other options. He's been slightly less worse than Vince but only made half a dozen fifties in 14 matches, which is comparable to Dawid Malan or Mark Stoneman. His bowling is bang average, useful make weight at best. Scott Borthwick took more wickets in 15 overs than Denly has in 60.

They'll keep picking him as he's an almost guaranteed 25-35 runs and his bowling takes some of the strain off our knackered bowlers but it's a cowardly, short sighted pick.
Cringe piece from Dobell:

And the worst drop in test match history:

Last edited:
Scott Borthwick or Sam Hain could challenge the perceived lack of other options. He's been slightly less worse than Vince but only made half a dozen fifties in 14 matches, which is comparable to Dawid Malan or Mark Stoneman. His bowling is bang average, useful make weight at best. Scott Borthwick took more wickets in 15 overs than Denly has in 60.

They'll keep picking him as he's an almost guaranteed 25-35 runs and his bowling takes some of the strain off our knackered bowlers but it's a cowardly, short sighted pick.
Cringe piece from Dobell:

And the worst drop in test match history:

Denly not good enough I agree but Borthwick for England come on!

Denly not good enough I agree but Borthwick for England come on!

No worse than Denly. Towards the back end of last season he was rediscovering the sort of form he had with us. Jonny Bairstow has a better average than Denly, batting at 3.

For a player that age to get a run in the team he really needs to be showing better form than he has.

Last edited:
No worse than Denly. Towards the back end of last season he was rediscovering the sort of form he had with us. Jonny Bairstow has a better average than Denly, batting at 3.

For a player that age to get a run in the team he really needs to be showing better form than he has.

He's just a stop gap really, as soon as Burns is fit he'll be out of the team. I don't mind him either, he can bat time which makes things easier for the middle order

He's just a stop gap really, as soon as Burns is fit he'll be out of the team. I don't mind him either, he can bat time which makes things easier for the middle order
I'd like to think you're right, but Smith is a big fan of his and they'll be looking at his leg spin as a shoo in for SL. Wouldn't be surprised if Crawley gets dropped when Burns is fit. Fingers crossed he makes another good score in the second innings.

I agree he's a useful as a speed hump to protect the middle order but didn't do it in this innings, scored 27 off 35 balls. Its not his natural game, like Sibley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back