4th Ashes Test - Old Trafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we had lost this game there would have been a lot of changes but there will be barely any and the likes of Bairstow, Buttler will keep their places and maybe even Roy. They wont bring an unproven, uncapped player into an Ashes Test at this stage and the fact there there has barely been any 4 day cricket in the last 2 months make it even more unlikely. Rightly or wrongly I think the only change they will make will be Jimmy for Woakes if fit. They may look to solve the Roy problem but I don't think they will go for a Sibley or a Crawley for the reasons given above. They will either:

1) Keep the order the same and take the view that having come this far with Roy he may come off once in the remaining tests and make a telling knock. I think they will do this.
2) Swap Denly and Roy around.
3) Open with Denly and bring Pope into the middle order - Maybe my choice but it would be harsh on Denly having done well at 4 in his last innings.
3) Drop Roy and replace him with a player that has played against Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood before such as Vince or Stoneman who are capable of getting a moderate knock against their bowling.

No easy solution but they wont throw in an uncapped player IMO.

Just to highlight that Leach averages 4 for Somerset this year

He did very well yesterday but he still only faced 17 balls.

Broad got 29 at Edgbaston

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Foakes w
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

Or move Denly to open and keep Bairstow in, I’m indifferent

Aye, but he averages in the 70s for England iirc!!!
Be tempted to swap Stokes and Roy. Get the 2 best techniques (Root and Stokes) in at 3 & 4, then let the bashers take over

Stokes is perfect at five for me. Can bat all ways.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow *
Buttler
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Frothing at the mouth at seeing that bowling attack.

I think they'll bring Pope in for Denly and give Roy another go.
Or 19. Inflated by one knock

That's how averages work marra. It's a pointless saying "inflated by one knock" as it is saying "if you took out the one bad score". The point is - that's what he has!
Agree. It's time for Johnny to be a batsman again and stop hiding behind the gloves as an excuse for his poor form with the bat.

Don't think Buttler has a cat in hell's chance of keeping to Jof on a fast deck like OT. Foakes is a player I like though. Few too many changes, but I'd happily see Foakes in for Buttler or Bairstow personally.

Last edited:
Burns
Sibley
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow *
Buttler
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

That's how averages work marra. It's a pointless saying "inflated by one knock" as it is saying "if you took out the one bad score". The point is - that's what he has!
Indeed. Still below Broad then ;)

I'd just get rid of Roy me. Not sure who comes in. Sibley perhaps? Roy just isn't suited to test cricket.

Pray that Root can find his 'test mode' like he did 2nd innings and really grind it when he needs to.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow *
Buttler
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Don't think Buttler has a cat in hell's chance of keeping to Jof on a fast deck like OT. Foakes is a player I like though. Few too many changes, but I'd happily see Foakes in for Buttler or Bairstow personally.

They definitely won’t bring Pope in for Denly after he grafted really well with a crucial knock against world class bowling. I love Pope as a player but if he comes in it would be in the middle order with Denly moving up. I would probably do that but I have a feeling that they won’t change things in the batting with their being barely any 4 day cricket in the last 2 months
If they do that, I'd question as to whether they've lost their minds.

Me too - they won’t drop Denly after his second innings effort. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pope was in the squad though.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’ll change too much. They never really do. If Anderson gets through this week and can prove his fitness he’ll play at Old Trafford, likely for Woakes - which will weaken the batting (on paper), but then Woakes has been poor and more to the point the 7 lads above the bowlers who get picked for their batting will have to stand up and be counted.

I called for Root to go up to 3 to plug that particular hole, as I felt he was our best batsman and needed to take responsibility - now, I’d like to see him in his comfort position of 4 and have Denly at 3. He’s a proper batsman, he can graft, he’s got the technique and the concentration and whilst he isn’t Trott in his pomp - he’ll have to do.

Roy isn’t working, I’d love him to smash a hundred of 80 balls in the first innings at OT but I can’t see it, I’d drop him for Sibley, but England won’t do that.

Aside from that, I wouldn’t necessarily keep Buttler or Bairstow in, but following yesterday I get a sense that this ‘team’ will get the job done from here. I think those two, Bairstow and Buttler have had their wake-up call somewhat.

I'd imagine Wade might stick in the team for a few tests yet so he can take the gloves in March when Paine resigns/retires and Smith conveniently gets the captaincy back

With this current weather, it's hard to see anything other that dry, flat pitches for the last 2 tests. Doesn't exactly play into our hands
Wish Mark Wood was fit so we could pair him and Archer together

Current forecast has rain on days 1,3,5

Poor planning having a test match in Manchester in September mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back