4th Ashes Test - Old Trafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

At most, one of the pair will go, probably Buttler, but I suspect there'll be minimal changes to a winning team (Jimmy for Woakes if definitely fit and someone for Roy).

I'm intrigued to see what the Aussies do. Smith has to come back in but Labuschagne batted very well at Headlingley. That leaves one of Head, Wade and Khawaja likely to be vulnerable.
They wouldn't miss any of them - neither contribute much with the bat. It amazes me that Khwaja still gets a game for them

I don’t think Anderson will play. I also think if he had played all series, he would have retired at The Oval, like a lot of players do.

I feel it’s too much of a gamble for him to come in for a fully fit player.

This is no downer on Anderson who is obviously one of the greats but time catches up with everyone

They wouldn't miss any of them - neither contribute much with the bat. It amazes me that Khwaja still gets a game for them

He keeps getting starts but not capitalising. Looking at the three, Khawaja has scored 122 runs over the 3 matches, Head 160 (including a not out inning in the drawn game) and Wade 151 (but 100+ in one innings). Based on that, I'd say Khawaja goes. Of course, aside from Warner's 50 in the first innings at Headingley, their openers have done nothing as well.

Weather may play a big role in these games in September. Aussies need draws or one win, still a big advantage with two left

They are fortunate to have around a ten day break now though

He keeps getting starts but not capitalising. Looking at the three, Khawaja has scored 122 runs over the 3 matches, Head 160 (including a not out inning in the drawn game) and Wade 151 (but 100+ in one innings). Based on that, I'd say Khawaja goes. Of course, aside from Warner's 50 in the first innings at Headingley, their openers have done nothing as well.
I'd imagine Wade might stick in the team for a few tests yet so he can take the gloves in March when Paine resigns/retires and Smith conveniently gets the captaincy back
Weather may play a big role in these games in September. Aussies need draws or one win, still a big advantage with two left

They are fortunate to have around a ten day break now though
With this current weather, it's hard to see anything other that dry, flat pitches for the last 2 tests. Doesn't exactly play into our hands
Wish Mark Wood was fit so we could pair him and Archer together

Last edited:
I'd imagine Wade might stick in the team for a few tests yet so he can take the gloves in March when Paine resigns/retires and Smith conveniently gets the captaincy back

With this current weather, it's hard to see anything other that dry, flat pitches for the last 2 tests. Doesn't exactly play into our hands
Wish Mark Wood was fit so we could pair him and Archer together
There’s a new Saj who plays for lancs who has pace and can reverse it. Very unlikely though

Just to highlight that Leach averages 4 for Somerset this year

He did very well yesterday but he still only faced 17 balls.

Broad got 29 at Edgbaston

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Foakes w
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

Or move Denly to open and keep Bairstow in, I’m indifferent

There won't be 4 changes, not a cat in hells chance.

I'd bring Anderson in for Woakes if he gets wickets in the 2nd 11 game, at least 4 or 5 and he proves his fitness. Possibly open with Denly and drop Roy to 6.

I would give Butler the gloves, 2 poor drops by Bairstow last match. Put Johnny up to 4.

There won't be 4 changes, not a cat in hells chance.

I'd bring Anderson in for Woakes if he gets wickets in the 2nd 11 game, at least 4 or 5 and he proves his fitness. Possibly open with Denly and drop Roy to 6.

I would give Butler the gloves, 2 poor drops by Bairstow last match. Put Johnny up to 4.
There won’t no. But there probably should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back