4th Ashes Test - Old Trafford

Paddy O'Dors

Striker
Anyone reckon Jimmy will be lucky to get back in the starting XI? Dunno who you would drop to accommodate him.

Aussies will drop either Wade or Head I reckon for Labuschagne and Smith will be back in the team. Bowlers as you were.

Jimmy needs to prove he's fit to me. We don't need a repetition of the first test, where we gifted them a 10 man opposition and the game. For me he should play a match somewhere and be ready for the fifth test.

We need to do something about Roy, he can’t be given another 2 chances.

Even if the selectors don’t want to try someone knew, it can hardly end up worse then Roy is doing.

If Jimmy is fit then he comes in for Woakes, no question.
I'd have the tail Archer 8, Leach 9, Broad 10 and Anderson 11.
Just to highlight that Leach averages 4 for Somerset this year

He did very well yesterday but he still only faced 17 balls.

Broad got 29 at Edgbaston

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Foakes w
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

Or move Denly to open and keep Bairstow in, I’m indifferent

Anyone reckon Jimmy will be lucky to get back in the starting XI? Dunno who you would drop to accommodate him.

Aussies will drop either Wade or Head I reckon for Labuschagne and Smith will be back in the team. Bowlers as you were.
You could make a argument for dropping Roy, Bairstow, Buttler & Woakes

FWIW I think they'll make a change at the top of the order and bring in Anderson for Woakes
Just to highlight that Leach averages 4 for Somerset this year

He did very well yesterday but he still only faced 17 balls.

Broad got 29 at Edgbaston

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Foakes w
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

Or move Denly to open and keep Bairstow in, I’m indifferent
I like the look of that team but I don't think they will drop Bairstow or Buttler as the appear to be Ed Smith's personal picks

You could make a argument for dropping Roy, Bairstow, Buttler & Woakes

FWIW I think they'll make a change at the top of the order and bring in Anderson for Woakes

I like the look of that team but I don't think they will drop Bairstow or Buttler as the appear to be Ed Smith's personal picks
I’ve been critical of them both. Bairstow has done enough to stay. Buttler hasn’t

At most, one of the pair will go, probably Buttler, but I suspect there'll be minimal changes to a winning team (Jimmy for Woakes if definitely fit and someone for Roy).

I'm intrigued to see what the Aussies do. Smith has to come back in but Labuschagne batted very well at Headlingley. That leaves one of Head, Wade and Khawaja likely to be vulnerable.

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Bairstow
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

I think sibley and pope have to come in for this next match in the top 6 so it’s a case of dropping 2 from 3 of Roy, Denly and buttler. I would probably prefer to have kept buttler over Denly but think we need someone to protect root at 4 rather than the middle order power of buttler so had to go with that call. Jimmy for woakes is natural choice at old Trafford although the tail all of a sudden looks worryingly long.

Anderson will have played in two 3 day games by then, if he comes through them then he is an automatic pick.

Roy and Buttler have 112 runs between them (57 and 55) at an average of 9.33, one or both of them has to go. The fact that they called Ollie Pope up as concussion replacement points to the fact that he is next man up, I would like to see him and Sibley called into the squad.

Burns
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

That's what I think they'll do. Buttler could have no complaints if he was dropped, but he still has a little bit of goodwill in the bank from last summer. But if he's not now even considered good enough to bat in the top 6, I'm not sure what the thinking from the coaches is. Batting at 7 behind the keeper and all-rounder is, frankly, embarrassing. Bairstow has shown signs of life and did OK yesterday, so he can stay as well.

Last edited:
Anderson was bowling before the game yesterday, looked sharp and is due to play at least one 2nd team game before the next test.

Burns
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Bairstow
Foakes (wk)
Archer
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Back