4th Ashes Test - Old Trafford

Given Smith was the difference first test and Anderson’s record is abysmal vs him I doubt we would have won it. We got thrashed.

Its not so much what Anderson could have done against Smith but what he could have done against the other batsman and the tail when Australia under pressure.

The problem with England is they often had two good bowlers and the Aussies knew all they had to do was see both of them off and the pressure would ease up with mediocraty following after.

With Australia when you see off Cummins and Hazelwood, you have Starc, Pattinson or Lyon coming on and doesn't necessarily get any easier and there's no let up. The pressure is always on.

Case in point when Australia were 122-8 in the first test which at that point Broad and Woakes had taken all of the 8 wickets and were knackered, Anderson would then have seen them off. Instead they had Moeen chucking pies and Stokes bowling with a blindfold in the first innings and Australia managed to rescue themselves to 284 all out. Momentum was switched completely, England ended up losing by 251 runs.

A genuine world class third bowler would have been massive for England at times in this series. I really do believe that, Andersons presence was hugely missed in this series. He was also England's best bowler down under.

Anderson (27.82)
Overton (37.66)
Broad (47.72)
Woakes (49.50)
Ali (115.00)

Last edited:

I've been traveling today and had attempted to do a Terry and Bob. Sadly, I caught a glimpse of the result. Shit it, but answer me one thing, please. How many overs were left to survive?

I've been traveling today and had attempted to do a Terry and Bob. Sadly, I caught a glimpse of the result. Shit it, but answer me one thing, please. How many overs were left to survive?

13. We just got into the final hour before the last wicket fell. Weren’t far away and leaves you reflecting on little moments like not slowing down their declaration and those two early wickets yesterday

That's interesting about the ball. We got nowhere with our repeated enquiries about the ball during their First Innings. Ah well. I still think the better team has won.

Can’t really agree with that. Anderson, Broad and Archer are as good as Hazlewood, Cummins and Stark, for instance. Burns and Denly just as poor as Warner and Bancroft/Harris. Wade and Paine not as good as Buttler and Bairstow. Stokes is better than Head. Root better than Labuschagne. Smith was a difference maker all series - would help if we didn’t drop him several times and bowl him with no balls. He’s had more than a slice of luck in this - granted totally deserved. But if we fielded better and had Jimmy available it could have been a different story. Teams weren’t too far apart, we just lost key moments - like not winning at Lords and finishing them off at Edgbaston first innings at 120-8.
You mean he’s perceived to be, three ducks in his last five innings and I’m suggesting that his aura of super batsman has slipped somewhat (not singling Root out mind).

You mean he’s perceived to be, three ducks in his last five innings and I’m suggesting that his aura of super batsman has slipped somewhat (not singling Root out mind).

Labuschagne didn’t start the series in the team. I think that ability goes beyond a whole 5 innings. No way is Labuschagne better than Root

Labuschagne didn’t start the series in the team. I think that ability goes beyond a whole 5 innings. No way is Labuschagne better than Root
I agree, I don’t think Labuschagne is better than Root, but you can’t really defend Root’s form, three ducks in five innings isn’t the form of a World class batsman.

Steve Smith pictued in glasses been taking the piss out of Jack Leach

What a prick
They really don't help themselves, do they?

Perhaps all traces of humility and grace are surgically removed at birth in Australia.

I was always taught to try and take defeat with good grace and, similarly, be dignified in victory. (Didn't always happen, mind :lol:)

Terrible losers even worse winners. Absolutely f***ing despise the classless *****.
Totally agree, makes it so much worse losing to them. They’re as bad as the mags. The fact that prick Smith is ripping the piss after what he oversaw in SA, shows he has absolutely no shame. I doubt any of them feel remorse and probably think it’s f***ing hilarious they’ve got away with it. Should’ve been banned for life, I’ll never change opinion on that.

Back