Been done to death. Its how it is measured nationally and it’s bought ticket’s considering tax and police etc. probably illegal to do otherwise.

Are you expecting SAFC to risk breaking the law?
I get that all clubs need to do it, and of course safc must obey the rules. But the rules are daft. The should tell hmrc the number sold, and tell everyone else (fans, police, media) the number in actual attendance on the day.

It won’t be police man, why would they give a flying F on tickets sold…. They want to know numbers there and risk management

It is to a degree ….. but a real issue at the SOL …. It’s not as though there are many Tourists/ foreign fans
The police will want to know daft lad - they will plan resource’s accordingly on the crowd expected.
I get that all clubs need to do it, and of course safc must obey the rules. But the rules are daft. The should tell hmrc the number sold, and tell everyone else (fans, police, media) the number in actual attendance on the day.
Then some need to blame the rules not the club then. There are very good reasons, some legal, why they use the tickets sold number.

Last edited:
Funny how one person saying there was 20000 in the ground on 80 mins is now as if it’s an actual head count and correct !
We scored just before then and I was pleasantly surprised how many were there and got behind the side hoping for another -we have tremendous support which the players at the end appreciated
TM used to comment all the time about our huge numbers and support for the young lads -we sit mid table and to get the crowds we do is incredible
Fans are the least of our problems

Anyone in the outside with plenty of cash who wants to invest in a club outside of premiership who have massive potential and arguably have never fulfilled that .,,, can’t think of a better example than us
We are not attractive compared to southern clubs, they'd rather buy the likes of Brentford. We are in the poorest region in the UK by some measures, they can only get so much revenue out of us before they start pricing us out whilst wealthier areas have a higher revenue ceiling.

I think the Saudis are realising the limitations up here in terms of revenue and the strict FFP rules coming in. They'll have to build a new stadium à la Tottenham with bars, restaurants, entertainment on all week etc. to increase their revenue significantly and even then it won't result in anywhere close to Spurs.

Then you have the problem of many players not wanting to live up here when they can live in London instead. I can see Newcastle opening a training facility and academy down London to attract top talent without having to offer huge wages to beat off Arsenal, Chelsea etc. They'll then fly them up for match days every 2 weeks.

Aye we get big crowds but ticket sales are a small percentage of a clubs revenue. In the premier league it's less than 10% of most clubs total revenue. Broadcasts and commercial sales make up the brunt of a clubs revenue, in terms of the latter again I think our potential is limited given the wealth of the area. Fans in the south have more money to spend on merchandise, food, and drink.

End of the Day, Brentford, Luton, Bournemouth, Sheffield United all have lower crowds obviously because of capacity, but they are successful in a short term because they don't punch above their weight, we don't want to end up like the Mags ffs expecting instant success because they are supposedly the Richest club in the World 🤷‍♂️

NR man read what I typed…. They want to know people there not tickets sold
I have eyes.

Generally tickets sold would give good indication of how many will be there and they have to record it for tax purposes as it’s earned income. Can you imagine the stick the police would get if there was a serious incident and they didn’t have the resources because they thought a considerable amount of people might not turn up when they paid £30 for a ticket? Look at the varying estimates of the attention Saturday….could you rely on good guesswork?

I can fully understand why people are beating the club at the moment but criticism of attendance figures is just daft when the club follow the legal requirements like all other clubs and would likely face prosecution if they didn’t.

Last edited:
We are not attractive compared to southern clubs, they'd rather buy the likes of Brentford. We are in the poorest region in the UK by some measures, they can only get so much revenue out of us before they start pricing us out whilst wealthier areas have a higher revenue ceiling.

I think the Saudis are realising the limitations up here in terms of revenue and the strict FFP rules coming in. They'll have to build a new stadium à la Tottenham with bars, restaurants, entertainment on all week etc. to increase their revenue significantly and even then it won't result in anywhere close to Spurs.

Then you have the problem of many players not wanting to live up here when they can live in London instead. I can see Newcastle opening a training facility and academy down London to attract top talent without having to offer huge wages to beat off Arsenal, Chelsea etc. They'll then fly them up for match days every 2 weeks.

Aye we get big crowds but ticket sales are a small percentage of a clubs revenue. In the premier league it's less than 10% of most clubs total revenue. Broadcasts and commercial sales make up the brunt of a clubs revenue, in terms of the latter again I think our potential is limited given the wealth of the area. Fans in the south have more money to spend on merchandise, food, and drink.
Lot of good points there mate. Club will never be able to compete with the top clubs but we can do more. Ticket pricing needs to be realistic when we get back to PL. Yes, we will at some point.

This is a major problem for the one time successfull provincial clubs that are now in unfashionable parts of the country.
Think Burnley, Preston, Blackpool and now Sunderland.
I read that the average spend of a Spurs fan at their new stadium is something like £16. They could let everyone in for free and still swamp our matchday revenue.
When we were in the Premier League in the Reid era there was a less uneven playing field. The broadcasting money from SKY alone, if spent wisely, would guarantee relative success for any club. Matchday revenue was a small part of turnover for all but three or four clubs - most grounds were basic with sponsorship and overseas commercial income hardly a factor. Now everything is different. The game has captured the attention of just about everyone; it is no longer the preserve of the poorer working class.
Money is no object. As you correctly point out we are situated in a poor part of the country. This didn't matter before. In the early eighties, for example, we were able to charge slightly higher admission prices than Arsenal. In the sixties, as a team striving to get out of the Second Division, Sunderland paid higher wages than Manchester United and most of the other top flight clubs.
If Newcastle were to allow their players to live and train in London if would only be viable if the earning potential at St James' was much greater and the club could overcome FPP constraints. That is highly unlikely unless they go for the nuclear solution of a brand new stadium.
The Saudis may at some point question their whole involvement with Newcastle.

This is a major problem for the one time successfull provincial clubs that are now in unfashionable parts of the country.
I read that the average spend of a Spurs fan at their new stadium is something like £16. They could let everyone in for free and still swamp our matchday revenue.
When we were in the Premier League in the Reid era there was a less uneven playing field. The broadcasting money from SKY alone, if spent wisely, would guarantee relative success for any club. Matchday revenue was a small part of turnover for all but three or four clubs - most grounds were basic with sponsorship and overseas commercial income hardly a factor. Now everything is different. The game has captured the attention of just about everyone; it is no longer the preserve of the poorer working class.
Money is no object. As you correctly point out we are situated in a poor part of the country. This didn't matter before. In the early eighties, for example, we were able to charge slightly higher admission prices than Arsenal. In the sixties, as a team striving to get out of the Second Division, Sunderland paid higher wages than Manchester United and most of the other top flight clubs.
If Newcastle were to allow their players to live and train in London if would only be viable if the earning potential at St James' was much greater and the club could overcome FPP constraints. That is highly unlikely unless they go for the nuclear solution of a brand new stadium.

Average spend of a Spurs fan per game is £71. Man Utd £64 and Chelsea £62.

The demise starred in the 60s when the players started moving to the cities. Up until then they were more than happy to stay placed in the smaller towns and being the big fish.

Some right f***ing loons on here like.
People saying there was 35k there ffs.
That's 11k empty seats, do people realise what 11k empty seats looks like?

Newcastle took up about 7.5k (including the blacked out segregation) imagine another 3.5k on top of that.

The demise starred in the 60s when the players started moving to the cities. Up until then they were more than happy to stay placed in the smaller towns and being the big fish.
And we benefitted from being close for signing Scottish talent - their game had footballers on a par with many in the English game.

I thought the ground looked canny full on Saturday from where we sit I've seen it a lot emptier and they still come up with 41,000

Back