3rd Ashes Test - Headingley

Status
Not open for further replies.

What will be interesting in this test, is how Archer bowls. Will he keep the aggression or will he subconsciously dial it back.

No doubt there will be excessive scrutiny on his short balls bringing pressure . Hopefully, he keeps the fire and does what he's been doing, intimidating batsmen.

Last edited:
Why was he allowed to go out and bat again
Because he passed the concussion tests. He suffered from delayed concussion the next day and has been ruled out
Yes, in hindsight you can question why he went back out but if a senior player is insistent and the tests are all clear there isn't realy an argument against it

I have a feeling Denly will open, and Roy will move down to about number 5.
Wouldn't be a bad call. Denly is just as shit at 2 as he is at 3 or 4

Roy on the other hand may offer something a bit different at 5

FWIW I'd stick Bairstow at 4, Stokes 5, Roy 6 and Buttler 7 with Jos taking the gloves

4 feels too high for Stokes (I know he is in fornm and has an excellent technique but it still feels high)

Burns, Denly, Root (c), Bairstow, Stokes, Roy, Buttler (w), Woakes, Archer, Leach, Broad

Last edited:
Then if Buttler doesn't perform it's a straight swap for Foakes. If Bairstow doesn't perform then you bring in a Vince, Sibley or Crawley without destablising the batting order

Depends what position pope? Sibley? Crawley? Foakes?
We need a middle order batsman, someone capable of batting 3-5 as we seem to have plenty of no.6s and 7s (Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler & Woakes) and a few openers (Burns, Denly) but no proper middle order batsmen unless Bairstow can be persuaded to give up the gloves and bat at 4. This also rellies on Root staying at 3 (which I think is a place too high if he's staying as captain)

In an idea world (IMHO) we'd have:

Burns, SOMEONE, Root, Bairstow, Roy, Stokes, Foakes/Buttler (w) Woakes, Archer, Anderson/Broad, Leach

But I have no idea who captains if Root doesn't, but I can't keep Root at 3 is he's captain.
Could Buttler keep wicket and captain?

Those were the days. Even when they restricted it to 4(?) cans each it wasn't too bad. Now they force you to buy beer in the ground at what £5-6 a pint? Bit of a piss take

It’s a disgrace really especially as the beer is like piss water.

We need a middle order batsman, someone capable of batting 3-5 as we seem to have plenty of no.6s and 7s (Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler & Woakes) and a few openers (Burns, Denly) but no proper middle order batsmen unless Bairstow can be persuaded to give up the gloves and bat at 4. This also rellies on Root staying at 3 (which I think is a place too high if he's staying as captain)

In an idea world (IMHO) we'd have:

Burns, SOMEONE, Root, Bairstow, Roy, Stokes, Foakes/Buttler (w) Woakes, Archer, Anderson/Broad, Leach

But I have no idea who captains if Root doesn't, but I can't keep Root at 3 is he's captain.
Could Buttler keep wicket and captain?
Buttler barely desurves a place in the team

Interesting to see what we’re made of without him having the sign of over us. Given how spotty both teams have been over the past year either could massacre the other or both could fall to pieces or anything else in between

We are putting all of our eggs in the Archer basket. We've had a huge swing in our favour for this next test with Smith being ruled out but our top order is still as unreliable as ever. There is only Stokes and Burns in any sort of form although Bairstow showed signs of returning to form at Lords. Thankfully Australia's batting line up is just as creaky at the moment with Warner in no form, Bancroft all over the place and Khawaja flattering to deceive away from home again. Labuschange looks the part and Head is looking solid at 5 but they could easily roll over as quickly as we can.

Their selection has been poor IMO, Labuschange should have started the series after his mountain of runs for Glamorgan this season, he also offers them a part-time spin option. Wade might have scored a century at Edgbaston but he's a place too high at 6 and arguably shouldn't be in the side even if he was given the gloves. Paine is a real weak link and is offering nothing, Wade and Carey surely would be better options than him at 7 - I expect his captaincy journey will end should they lose this series. Then there's Starc being omitted for 2 tests and whilst their bowlers have performed well, a firing Starc with a swinging ball is a match for anyone.

Buttler barely desurves a place in the team
Hence why I had him or Foakes at 7. He's showed a bit of form with the bat at Lords so tempted to give him the rest of the series with the gloves and bring in Foakes if no significant improvement
We are putting all of our eggs in the Archer basket. We've had a huge swing in our favour for this next test with Smith being ruled out but our top order is still as unreliable as ever. There is only Stokes and Burns in any sort of form although Bairstow showed signs of returning to form at Lords. Thankfully Australia's batting line up is just as creaky at the moment with Warner in no form, Bancroft all over the place and Khawaja flattering to deceive away from home again. Labuschange looks the part and Head is looking solid at 5 but they could easily roll over as quickly as we can.

Their selection has been poor IMO, Labuschange should have started the series after his mountain of runs for Glamorgan this season, he also offers them a part-time spin option. Wade might have scored a century at Edgbaston but he's a place too high at 6 and arguably shouldn't be in the side even if he was given the gloves. Paine is a real weak link and is offering nothing, Wade and Carey surely would be better options than him at 7 - I expect his captaincy journey will end should they lose this series. Then there's Starc being omitted for 2 tests and whilst their bowlers have performed well, a firing Starc with a swinging ball is a match for anyone.
Yeah, Paine is a big issue for them. He's not even the best keeper in the squad.
It's clear he's only keeping the captaincy warm for Smith to resume it in March 2020 when his 2 year captaincy ban is up - they only have a series in New Zeland to negotiate before he's eligible again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back