3 weights workouts per week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
Just started back at the gym after not being a regular for well over 15 years. Only been a few times, but I'm basically doing the exact same routing I did back then, just a bit less intense as I need to get rid of the cobwebs and get myself used to pushing weight again.

But I understand I should really be splitting that workout into body groups, an possibly only training each body group once per week - is that right?

Looking to create a 30-45min weight session, with a 20 min cardio to follow.

Being basically a beginner again, I like to do the things I'm comfortable with - but I'm willing to add anything that people think it vital. As it happens, I'm mates with the owner (a big step with me finally getting myself back into this), and I'm happy to ask him to show me anything new.

So here's what I usually do, in order - all 3 x 10 at the moment, but happy to change this

Bench Press
Peck Desk
Shoulder Press
Lat pull downs
Seated row
Concentration curls
Barbell curls
Tricep pushdown
Overhead tricep push
Leg press
Calf raises
Thigh curls

I'm thinking, there's not enough there to split into 3 sessions, right?
There's a couple of things that I'm familiar with that I could add that I'm not currently doing
Inclined bench press with the barbell or some dumbbells
Bent over dumbbell row

One thing I've never ever done is anything with a barbell freestanding - squats and deadlifts.

And the kicker - the most important thing about me going to the gym again was to try to fix a problem I have. If I'm on my feet for more than an hour, my right leg starts to go numb. After about 4 hours, I start to get pain in my hip. If I go away to a festival, or on holiday, after a few days I'm throwing painkillers in.
I went to see a physio and he said its a core muscle issue. So I'm wanting to build general strength and fitness, but also want to really improve core strength.

I'm 37, very unfit, canny fat and injury prone as fuck. I had to pack in every type of exercise I enjoyed (basically football and squash) because my back would "go off" after a bit. Another reason why I'm looking to do as much as possible that I'm already comfortable with.
I'm not at all looking to build mega muscles or even drop a ton of weight overnight.

I did try a new abs exercise using one of those ball thingies, moving my legs around in the air. That was 8 days ago - my stomach muscles are still broken now.

Any advice?

Stronglifts looks interesting, and someone else mentioned it too - seems like a very short workout though 15 / 11 sets per workout? How does that take 45mins?
Would it be ok given how injury prone I am?
It also sounds ever so slightly serious - belts, chalk? I just want to create 2-3 separate workouts really, with some exercises that will help to build core strength.

The lad who runs the gym agrees its a good routing, but said I need to be careful as I have "a bad back" and deadlifts might not be ideal.

But I've had my back checked by a physio and he said it was just core muscle issues, not any problem with my spine or owt. So training it is a good thing, yes?

going to the gym now, will let you know how I got on.

Last edited:
Stronglifts looks interesting, and someone else mentioned it too - seems like a very short workout though 15 / 11 sets per workout? How does that take 45mins? You're supposed to do warm up sets on top of them. And, you'll need one and a half to 3 minutes rest, depending on how hard the set was, or 5 minutes if you fail the set.
Would it be ok given how injury prone I am? How lang is a piece of string? Try it and find out.
It also sounds ever so slightly serious - belts, chalk? I just want to create 2-3 separate workouts really, with some exercises that will help to build core strength. No need till you're lifting bigger weights.

The lad who runs the gym agrees its a good routing, but said I need to be careful as I have "a bad back" and deadlifts might not be ideal. Bullshit, if it is just "core muscle issues."

But I've had my back checked by a physio and he said it was just core muscle issues, not any problem with my spine or owt. So training it is a good thing, yes? Yes.

going to the gym now, will let you know how I got on.

Went well. I think Ill give this a proper go. Got the app and will look into the warm up stuff as well.

Added a hiit on the elliptical and that's me happy.

Went well. I think Ill give this a proper go. Got the app and will look into the warm up stuff as well.

Added a hiit on the elliptical and that's me happy.

You probably aren't going to make the same amount of progress on each of the compound movements but concentrate on proper form. I tried and tried with squats but I'm just not flexible enough and my back started to hurt so I substituted it. At my age I just think that doing any programme is better than sitting on my arse.

Reactions: PTR
You probably aren't going to make the same amount of progress on each of the compound movements but concentrate on proper form. I tried and tried with squats but I'm just not flexible enough and my back started to hurt so I substituted it. At my age I just think that doing any programme is better than sitting on my arse.
in f***ing deed mate

My quads are totally fucked. They were last night, as soon as I came off the elipical, I knew I was buggered as I couldn't get down the stairs.

Put more on the squat bar than I should, it turns out, and its buggered me up. Walking like I've got 2 wooden legs today. Hope it heals up by tomorrow, or I won't be able to do routine B. :(

Last edited:
I seem to have fucked my back on squats on Friday. Either that or the rows, felt fine all of Friday, woke up Saturday with a small tweak and within about 3 hours I could barely walk. Might take a break from 5X5 this week if I get back in the gym tomorrow.

On topic, if you do 5x5 properly @PTR , you shouldn't put more on the bar. Its a bit embarrassing at first but it soon comes around to hitting your plateau's. The starting weight is one of the reasons it makes it a great program for someone returning to the gym after so long imo.

On topic, if you do 5x5 properly @PTR , you shouldn't put more on the bar. Its a bit embarrassing at first but it soon comes around to hitting your plateau's. The starting weight is one of the reasons it makes it a great program for someone returning to the gym after so long imo.

Yeh, I fucked up. I'd just put a light weight on the bar to learn how to do squats properly. It felt ok, so I didn't take the weight off to do the sets.
Although I also put more on the bench, as it was far too light.

Paying for it massively today, can barely walk. Lesson learned.

Squats are known as the 'king of exercises' and I'm not arguing that the evidence shows that they're needed for weight training programmes ....

... but they seem to cause a lot of problems for people. Even if they try to conform to best form it's often a physical limitation that causes injury or restricts their range of motion. I cannot easily squat below parallel unless I lift my heels onto plates and I've never been happy with my form so like I've said before I do goblet squats or use a machine where I can do upright squats that support my back. They won't be as good as properly hoying a weight onto my back but I'd rather not be injured.

Reactions: PTR
At 40 I'm the same, I was advised to put a couple small plates under my heels and it makes the world of difference.

Ah crap, my quads are still fucked. Can barely sit down, or walk down a slight incline.

But I've been reading a few comments on line that tell me to train anyway - warm up then do what I can. Does that sound right? I'm a tad worried I'm going to pop something. But if its the right thing to do, I'll do it.

At 40 I'm the same, I was advised to put a couple small plates under my heels and it makes the world of difference.
What do you mean?

I felt that I was squatting on the balls of my toes - the guy from the gym said I should be pushing up from my heels. Is this the same problem?

Ah crap, my quads are still fucked. Can barely sit down, or walk down a slight incline.

But I've been reading a few comments on line that tell me to train anyway - warm up then do what I can. Does that sound right? I'm a tad worried I'm going to pop something. But if its the right thing to do, I'll do it.

What do you mean?

I felt that I was squatting on the balls of my toes - the guy from the gym said I should be pushing up from my heels. Is this the same problem?
Yeah, I was struggling with exactly the same issue and a trainer came over and gave me some advice, go back to the bar only, and place a couple of 2.5kg plates in the rack and put your heels on them and concentrate on form. That little extra height in my heels allows me to go right down. Or wear a pair of wedge heeled shoes! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back