1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 weights workouts per week?

Discussion in 'Diet and Exercise' started by PTR, Feb 26, 2017.

1. PTR

PTR Striker

Good news. No longer getting much muscle pain after sessions.

Bad news. Really bad pain inside of left knee. Felt it twinge whilst doing squats on Wednesday. Feels very much like I shouldn't push my luck and give it a week or two to settle down.

So, what do I do? Skipping the squats and deads means there's no real point doing any more of the SL5x5 routine. I was thinking of doing various other upper body stuff, in the 5x5 pattern, until I can squat again

Oh, I had some advice (which I missed earlier, damn) about pushing my knees out when squatting. Hopefully that's the solution to my issue, rather than me just having bad knees in general - which I already knew about.

2. General rule of thumb is 2+2+2, rest it for 2 days & try again, if its still painful rest it for 2 weeks, if it's still painful after that, 2 months.

3. PTR

PTR Striker

Did a couple of no weight tests tonight. Felt quite different pushing my knees out, definitely felt better.

Still sore though when I move it on the wrong way , I'll try back end of next week I think

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. I feel a bit empty inside without any updates .....

PTR likes this.
  5. PTR

PTR Striker

Aww, bless.

I twisted my ankle quite badly in Newcastle on Monday lunchtime. So I was resting my knee and doing upper body only, but now I can't really walk very well and I'm working from home to avoid driving.

I MIGHT try to get to the gym tonight, but Friday is more realistic.

Pretty gutted.

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  6. Thanks I feel whole again!

You are going to go back to being a couch potato aren't you? Just another inadequate fatty? ;)

PTR likes this.
  7. PTR

PTR Striker

I can feel the momentum draining out of me. Its an absolute shitter. I managed to take the first set back when my knee went off, but this is going to be a bastard, it'll be ages before I can train my legs at all now.

But, upper body from Friday. Still no CV though.

8. Why not just do something that you enjoy, won't hurt you, and you can do consistently?

Even 3 different things a week until you are at the point to start stronglifts or another beginner programme? Yoga, Pilates, Yogilates, swimming, biking, walking etc.

If one particular movement is giving you grief on stronglifts then swap it for something that exercises the same muscle group but isn't going to knack your knees. I use a standing leg press machine which won't be good as proper squats but it supports my back and I can break parallel on it.

9. PTR

PTR Striker

It was only one time, so far.

I'll try again, improve my form, see if it helps.

Trick is, i need to do it in the gym on my way home.
    Once I'm home from work, i have "distractions" and absolutely nothing will happen. Years of evidence to back this up!

I actually enjoy being in the gym.

10. PTR

PTR Striker

Back in today.
    Ankle isn't great, but did a few free standing squats. Good news was nee knee pain.
    Managed to get enough movement in the ankle and did a set with just the bar. Which was fine. Concentrated on form and pushing my knees out, felt lots better, much more flexibility

So threw some weight on, and did my five sets very easily. Which is impressive, considering it was hard two weeks ago.

Didn't do ant cv stuff though, don't want to tempt fate too much.

11. Bored of the updates now. How much can you bench press?

Macho and PTR like this.
  12. PTR

PTR Striker

No idea, haven't tried. I'm pushing 5 x 5 sets of 55kg and not struggling too much. We'll see how the next couple of weeks go.

13. You will probably hurt your elbow next. ;)

14. PTR

PTR Striker

It'll be something mate. I'm fucking useless.

I'm bloody happy that I'm back in the SL program though.

15. Stick with it and reappraise after a few months.

PTR likes this.