3 weights workouts per week?

Ah crap, my quads are still fucked. Can barely sit down, or walk down a slight incline.

But I've been reading a few comments on line that tell me to train anyway - warm up then do what I can. Does that sound right? I'm a tad worried I'm going to pop something. But if its the right thing to do, I'll do it.

What do you mean?

I felt that I was squatting on the balls of my toes - the guy from the gym said I should be pushing up from my heels. Is this the same problem?

If you're starting stronglifts you should be using an empty bar atm for all your lifts so there's no warmup sets beyond a bit of stretching and some unweighted squats.

Some folks cant get into a deep squat without their heels lifting so stick a weight plate or block under their heels so they are lifting from the heel rather than through the foot.

Yeah, I was struggling with exactly the same issue and a trainer came over and gave me some advice, go back to the bar only, and place a couple of 2.5kg plates in the rack and put your heels on them and concentrate on form. That little extra height in my heels allows me to go right down. Or wear a pair of wedge heeled shoes! ;)
I actually dont mind being slightly forward on my toes - but I guess that could change once I start adding weight? I felt like I was working my calfs a bit, which isn't a bad thing in general, but could be bad for form.

I'll try what you say if it doesn't fix itself. Thanks

Quads are a mile better today, even took the stairs at work. So back in tonight. Phew.

Side question - any ideas why my achilles gets a burning sensation on the rowing machine? I like them, but I've had this before and its making me avoid it.

Last edited:
I actually dont mind being slightly forward on my toes - but I guess that could change once I start adding weight? I felt like I was working my calfs a bit, which isn't a bad thing in general, but could be bad for form.

I'll try what you say if it doesn't fix itself. Thanks

Quads are a mile better today, even took the stairs at work. So back in tonight. Phew.

Side question - any ideas why my achilles gets a burning sensation on the rowing machine? I like them, but I've had this before and its making me avoid it.

I don't feel anything in my calves when squatting even when there's more than my bodyweight on my back. I suspect you've got tight calves which can aggravate pulling on the Achilles. DeFranco's Limber 11 routine should sort that out

I don't feel anything in my calves when squatting even when there's more than my bodyweight on my back. I suspect you've got tight calves which can aggravate pulling on the Achilles. DeFranco's Limber 11 routine should sort that out
Just to add, my heel had barely any weight when I was squatting, so I was right on my toes, which is why I could feel my calves coming into play.
So not sure its a problem with the calf as much as its a problem with my form for squatting - does that make sense?

I guess if I put something under my heels so that I have a solid base, then I'll know?

Ah crap, my quads are still fucked. Can barely sit down, or walk down a slight incline.

But I've been reading a few comments on line that tell me to train anyway - warm up then do what I can. Does that sound right? I'm a tad worried I'm going to pop something. But if its the right thing to do, I'll do it.

Early on starting 5X5 I hurt my back and knee's everything was very stiff but I saw the same information as you did and trained, it helped a great deal although I was worried.

However I did my back again last Friday, I could hardly walk but I knew it was nerve related so I have rested and will resume tomorrow. So I guess its the type of pain you're feeling?

Just to add, my heel had barely any weight when I was squatting, so I was right on my toes, which is why I could feel my calves coming into play.
So not sure its a problem with the calf as much as its a problem with my form for squatting - does that make sense?

I guess if I put something under my heels so that I have a solid base, then I'll know?

Maybe, Once there's a decent weight on the bar you'll need to be pushing through your heels anyway. Best tip I was given for squats & deads was to think of pushing the floor down rather than pushing the weight up if that makes any sense.

You shouldn't be on your toes during the squat, it's a sign your falling forward, rounding your back and putting pressure on the discs in your spine, try opening your legs to wider than hips or even wider than shoulders, with your toes pointing to about 11 and 1 (on a clock face) and look ahead during the movement, not down at the floor.

You shouldn't be on your toes during the squat, it's a sign your falling forward, rounding your back and putting pressure on the discs in your spine, try opening your legs to wider than hips or even wider than shoulders, with your toes pointing to about 11 and 1 (on a clock face) and look ahead during the movement, not down at the floor.
Thanks

Early on starting 5X5 I hurt my back and knee's everything was very stiff but I saw the same information as you did and trained, it helped a great deal although I was worried.

However I did my back again last Friday, I could hardly walk but I knew it was nerve related so I have rested and will resume tomorrow. So I guess its the type of pain you're feeling?
In my achillies? Its a burning, electrical sort of thing, but its constant. I think I flex my ankles a lot on the rower, so I might just have to "calm down" a bit?

Maybe, Once there's a decent weight on the bar you'll need to be pushing through your heels anyway. Best tip I was given for squats & deads was to think of pushing the floor down rather than pushing the weight up if that makes any sense.
Yes, perfectly.
I did feel like my weight was forward, I'll try and adjust.

Thanks

In my achillies? Its a burning, electrical sort of thing, but its constant. I think I flex my ankles a lot on the rower, so I might just have to "calm down" a bit?

Yes, perfectly.
I did feel like my weight was forward, I'll try and adjust.

I'm assuming you over did it (possibly poor form also) and your body's a bit shocked so training wouldn't hurt. I would do some stretching and if the pain gets worse, leave it out I guess. All this however is just my opinion mind, I have 0 expertise in the area.

Just as an aside I did 5x5 and got along okay (except for thrice damned overhead press) but eventually stopped as squats were killing me, as soon as i got to a reasonable weight my form was all over the place. I got a book called convict conditioning which is all about body-weight only exercises. It basically goes through 6 different progressions - for example the push up progression starts with you just pushing off a wall vertically - to slowly get form right. I found it really good to sort of get the mechanics of moving right. Might be worth a look if you arent married to the idea of heading straight to the weight room.

This. Also push your knees out. Don't let them collapse inwards.

Shit. There's me thinking tonight went much better. Did a warm up with no bar just to practice some form, and then empty bar, then the weight it time me to do.
Went well , felt like my feet were much flatter and I had more control. Still struggled with the last set, but just about got them.
Legs feel much much better than this time last time.

But then I re read the foot position suggested. Slightly outwards. I'd done them slightly inwards! Ha. I'll remember for next time.

Over heads with just the bar were fine dead lift with 40kg was fine too.

Then a 20min interval on the elliptical.

Just as an aside I did 5x5 and got along okay (except for thrice damned overhead press) but eventually stopped as squats were killing me, as soon as i got to a reasonable weight my form was all over the place. I got a book called convict conditioning which is all about body-weight only exercises. It basically goes through 6 different progressions - for example the push up progression starts with you just pushing off a wall vertically - to slowly get form right. I found it really good to sort of get the mechanics of moving right. Might be worth a look if you arent married to the idea of heading straight to the weight room.
You say body weight only exercises as if I'm not a fat bastard and entirely handicapped in that way!

Thin people squatting with just the bar are barely pushing half what i am! A push up for me is about what i bench press hehe

Final point, can't believe how much I'm enjoying this. Even though I'm training on my own, which i never thought id do

Last edited:
Shit. There's me thinking tonight went much better. Did a warm up with no bar just to practice some form, and then empty bar, then the weight it time me to do.
Went well , felt like my feet were much flatter and I had more control. Still struggled with the last set, but just about got them.
Legs feel much much better than this time last time.

But then I re read the foot position suggested. Slightly outwards. I'd done them slightly inwards! Ha. I'll remember for next time.

Over heads with just the bar were fine dead lift with 40kg was fine too.

Then a 20min interval on the elliptical.

You say body weight only exercises as if I'm not a fat bastard and entirely handicapped in that way!

Thin people squatting with just the bar are barely pushing half what i am! A push up for me is about what i bench press hehe

Final point, can't believe how much I'm enjoying this. Even though I'm training on my own, which i never thought id do

For feet placement, squeeze your glutes and they will naturally find there position (hopefully).

Just as soon as you get started.......

Had a dental implant fitted last night. Had no idea I wasn't allowed to do any physical exercise afterwards. Supposed to be 7-10 days, but I reckon I can do just my lifts starting tomorrow until next weekend. They're not too strenuous so far.

Shout up if you think that's a stupid idea.

Just as soon as you get started.......

Had a dental implant fitted last night. Had no idea I wasn't allowed to do any physical exercise afterwards. Supposed to be 7-10 days, but I reckon I can do just my lifts starting tomorrow until next weekend. They're not too strenuous so far.

Shout up if you think that's a stupid idea.

I'm just guessing but it will probably be something along the lines of not gritting your teeth until the implant has fully set so probably not the best idea to risk it. It's only another week.

Fuck it, I'm gannin tonight to do my lifts and a gentle 20 on the elliptical.
If I was in your shoes I'd concentrate on doing stretching routines a couple of times a day.
Honestly wouldn't know where to start. But the problem I have is, once I get home, I don't really have much chance or motivation to do anything.
I have a kid running around needing attention, feeding, baths and bed, and a house with a million jobs to do that never end.
This is why popping into the gym on the way home works for me - all the distractions are somewhere else.

Even tonight, I have to be back in Peterlee by 5.15 as I have to pick the bairn up. I'm shoe-horning this stuff into the 1 hour I get to myself every day. Then once the wife gets in, I've got to back out tonight and won't be back till 8.

Same story on Wed and Thu, and got stuff planned on Sat and Sun. I'm spread very thin right now. And if I don't stop and go to the gym, it'll fall by the wayside. That's what I'm really worried about.

Ah, i have to tap all the circles on the app, not just the 5th one. I was wondering why the weights weren't going up.

Last edited:
Now that the weights are going up, I find tonight's a bit tougher. Felt my back a bit after the dead lift.
Then really pushed myself interval training after. In knackered now.

Achilles is still feeling funny though.

Back