3 departures

That is my thoughts as well but the poster I was responding too implied that he had scored 2 centuries this ( or technically last) season so all I asked is when he scored the other century this season and I am awaiting his response to satisfy my curiosity.
Apologies for a late reply, my mistake. Had him down for a hundred in the Lancashire game, but that was McKinney. Both batted beautifully that day

That's true of course but almost all of those homegrowns came through the academy system several years ago. It's a concern to me, and 2nd team performances confirm it, that no academy players have established themselves in the senior team since the North team took charge.

You’re seeing a problem that isn’t really there though, could it simply be that no second teamers have established themselves in the side because we’re winning? The old adage that you don’t change a winning side?

A number of them have come in and out, clearly part of the plans, part of the wider squad - which has been as evident as any season before that is a valuable asset - but various reasons have seen them drop back down to playing primarily second eleven cricket again. Gibson has been plagued with injuries, Stanley Mac couldn’t seem to harness his line and/or length, Killeen too has suffered from the sort of injuries not uncommon for young seamers and Bushnell - who is clearly the leading name amongst those pushing for first team starts - is being rotated in and out as the situation dictates.

It depends of course on your definition of ‘established themselves’ but several have played a part in the title win - that’s before you talk about the white ball sides.

I think I read we used 23 players (may have been 25) in the Championship this year, without doing any research at all I’d hazard a guess that atleast 12 of them (just over half, 13 if 25 ;)) were products of our own Academy.

John Windows continues to do a stellar job, I have no concerns whatsoever about the production line that is the envy of the entire county structure.

We have 4 homegrowns currently being employed in some capacity by England. With another 4 (perhaps only now 3) in the England Under 19 side.

The future is still bright.

Last edited:
You’re seeing a problem that isn’t really there though, could it simply be that no second teamers have established themselves in the side because we’re winning? The old adage that you don’t change a winning side?

A number of them have come in and out, clearly part of the plans, part of the wider squad - which has been as evident as any season before that is a valuable asset - but various reasons have seen them drop back down to playing primarily second eleven cricket again. Gibson has been plagued with injuries, Stanley Mac couldn’t seem to harness his line and/or length, Killeen too has suffered from the sort of injuries not uncommon for young seamers and Bushnell - who is clearly the leading name amongst those pushing for first team starts - is being rotated in and out as the situation dictates.

It depends of course on your definition of ‘established themselves’ but several have played a part in the title win - that’s before you talk about the white ball sides.

I think I read we used 23 players (may have been 25) in the Championship this year, without doing any research at all I’d hazard a guess that atleast 12 of them (just over half, 13 if 25 ;)) were products of our own Academy.

John Windows continues to do a stellar job, I have no concerns whatsoever about the production line that is the envy of the entire county structure.

We have 4 homegrowns currently being employed in some capacity by England. With another 4 (perhaps only now 3) in the England Under 19 side.

The future is still bright.
Yeh,maybe my concerns are premature. No criticism of John Windows whatsoever. Could we,though,be missing our ace talent scout Geoff Cook?

Last edited:
Yeh,maybe my concerns are premature. No criticism of John Windows whatsoever. Could we,though,be missing our ace talent scout Geoff Cook?

Could be. Having read back, I think we may have been arguing a different scenario to be honest - my initial response was to NCB on a broader point about our ‘local identity’ and true meaning as a club - but your concern was more simply to do with regression from 2022 to 2023. You do have a point in fairness on that and it’s worthy of concern from a position of wanting us to succeed, but we probably need a bigger sample size to fully determine either way - I suppose what I’m getting at, is that every successful youth setup will have boom years and down years, I’m sure we’d all agree that 2023 was a down year by comparison to more fruitful vintages we’ve enjoyed prior, but hopefully the boom is following shortly.

I also think we should be looking to extend Bas’s contract. IIRC he has a 2 year deal. He’s only 23 and I think we should be keeping him.

This. I expect he’ll have the sort of World Cup that got James Rodriguez his Real Madrid move :eek:

I don't have a problem with these lads being released, but it is becoming more noticeable IMO the cuts we have seen in the academy. Don't think we had enough in there to get a full XI out last season. I really think we miss them competing in the Premier League. Yes, these lads get out to clubs but I've seen first hand how much of a nightmare it is with Windows on the phone demanding they bat in a certain position, and only bowl so many overs. The lads are invariably on a few hundred quid a game aswell which can lead to them feeling like they have to volunteer to do more, or the clubs to take advantage in order to get their moneys worth. I am almost certain these would have benefited more from being in a more controlled environment on a Saturday.

Just to add, this is the opposite to my feelings on the matter a few seasons back. I thought getting lads to clubs would do them good, but definitely come round now to the idea of them playing for the Academy, in a league, being much better for them.

I don't have a problem with these lads being released, but it is becoming more noticeable IMO the cuts we have seen in the academy. Don't think we had enough in there to get a full XI out last season. I really think we miss them competing in the Premier League. Yes, these lads get out to clubs but I've seen first hand how much of a nightmare it is with Windows on the phone demanding they bat in a certain position, and only bowl so many overs. The lads are invariably on a few hundred quid a game aswell which can lead to them feeling like they have to volunteer to do more, or the clubs to take advantage in order to get their moneys worth. I am almost certain these would have benefited more from being in a more controlled environment on a Saturday.

Just to add, this is the opposite to my feelings on the matter a few seasons back. I thought getting lads to clubs would do them good, but definitely come round now to the idea of them playing for the Academy, in a league, being much better for them.

I felt the academy would be better for the control it gives us that you mention but was hopeful it would lead to more natural experience and growing up faster kind of effect.

I felt the academy would be better for the control it gives us that you mention but was hopeful it would lead to more natural experience and growing up faster kind of effect.

Perhaps it does with some more than others. I guess it can be a bit sink or swim for an 18 yr old on £250 a game in a relegation battle. Heavily reliant on a club/captain that cares though. Plenty don't.

Back