2ND ASHES TEST: LORDS

Quinn-Is-A-God

Midfield
12:50pm
Team selection
We do not know the teams as yet, and I wonder if the rain/conditions will play much of a part. Hard to see spinners being much use at all.

What’s everyone opinion on the toss? What do you reckon the best option would be? Have a bowl?
Bat for me. We need to win this Test, the conditions overheard aren't going to change throughout, it's going to be a four day test, and Smith aside it's two low scoring sides.

Bat first, bat SENSIBLY (like 1st innings at Edgbaston), then put runs on the board. We don't want to be in a position where we're chasing, or having to bat out time to save a game - put all the fourth innings pressure on them.

If there is play today, I'll reverse my thoughts on the toss and bowl first. Will be a horrible session in these conditions, lights on, only an hour or so until tea.

Surely the rain doesn’t need to stop the toss? or do the rules say otherwise? It’s not like they would have had a re-toss if it started bucketing down straight after the toss had been held, so the argument that it would affect what the winner of the toss would choose seems irrelevant. It would at least give us something to dissect. Am I wrong?”

Surely the rain doesn’t need to stop the toss? or do the rules say otherwise? It’s not like they would have had a re-toss if it started bucketing down straight after the toss had been held, so the argument that it would affect what the winner of the toss would choose seems irrelevant. It would at least give us something to dissect. Am I wrong?”
Rules, mate. Not sure of the specific wording, but you can only have a Toss once you have a definitive start time

What’s everyone thoughts on the wicket of Steve Smith... Is Archer is the key to dismissing him? The fact he bowls so close to the stumps (bowlers end) and fast, means that Smith’s trigger movement across the stumps will make him more susceptible to LBW because he can’t get outside the line of off stump like he can to those that deliver from wider on the crease. Archer should also bowl a knuckle ball an over with a catching cover and midwicket in place so that any mistimed shot can be taken – similar to Maxwell’s dismissal in the WC semi-final when he was through his shot early and completely deceived. The faster you bowl, the harder it is to detect the slower ball, so ideally one after a very slippery bouncer would be my instruction.

Back