24 hours in police custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post, quite spot on.
Many of these kids are failed from a very young age by parents, authorities, schools, the governments, etc. Generally failed by society as a whole. They are brought up in traditionally neglected areas that are ruled over by gangs and criminals, surrounded by negative role models and the pressures to conform. They feel being in a gang offers protection and a sense of belonging, of which many have lacked from toddler age.
Take the gangs and criminals off the streets and then there are no role models to aspire too. From a young age, as you say, they see these people, nice clothes, nice cars, money and they come from nothing and its easy to aspire to wanting all that. If you remove the role models from the streets, its a good start.

They're absolute half wits like, I thought it was funny when homeboy grassed in full thinking he could get himself out of it and got 11 years :lol:

It's scary the knife thing like, I'm only 27 but feel like the generation slightly younger than me up to about 21/22 are a different breed. They talk different, they act different. They take more drugs than we ever did (and theyre not the fun ones, they're banging xanax, spice, high concentrate thc, crack - no one is enjoying themselves taking that shit), they have less respect for themselves, they have no fear of authority, they have grew up with no hope at all, all they can remember is single parents, sanctioned benefits, Jeremy Kyle, austerity, depravation, failed schooling, failed policing, food banks, Facebook, twitter. They couldn't give a fuck and have no understanding about what they are doing carrying knives

The lad who grassed will probably serve just over 5 year while the rest got minimum terms of 16 and 17 years so he has got away with it really, can't imagine it will be fun inside for him mind being a known grass.

Take the gangs and criminals off the streets and then there are no role models to aspire too. From a young age, as you say, they see these people, nice clothes, nice cars, money and they come from nothing and its easy to aspire to wanting all that. If you remove the role models from the streets, its a good start.
I was going to mention a similar point in my post.;)
This is part of the fix but there is not one single fix.
Areas of deprivation, poverty and crime cost a fortune to manage in policing, health, support services, etc. Regenerate these areas, improve the chances for these kids, get them growing up to work, pay taxes and contribute to society, instead of taking from society in the cost it takes to manage them and the underlying issues.
I believe radical investment into the issues of deprivation will eventually pay off and benefit all of society. Improving young peoples chances to climb out of poverty, reducing crime, health issues and other related issues to deprivation.

Last edited:
Rehabilitation is needed but how many chances do you give someone? Some people are just career criminals who see jail as an occupational hazard and don’t wish to be rehabilitated. The brothers on the program last week had 120k in cash and 80k in criminal assests, crime does pay unfortunately.

Agree, some people can't or won't be helped. I'm not talking about forced reprogramming, obviously if they don't want to partake then they won't partake, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't offer the opportunity for people to get out of that self perpetuating cycle.

No they wouldn't and that's the problem, the vast majority of people who carry knives do it through fear, until you've walked in their shoes you have no idea what goes on in their head, they are often abused and witness violence as children, then as they get older they see that they can't acheive any success academically or in work, so they choose to become "someone" by doing other things like violence, particularly young lads who don't have a dad around they have no direction in their life, they don't respect authority because they have never had any reason to believe people in authority deserve their respect.

They still have the choice but the stats won't lie and young men who's dad wasn't around will suffer because of it.
Bless them.

The lad who grassed will probably serve just over 5 year while the rest got minimum terms of 16 and 17 years so he has got away with it really, can't imagine it will be fun inside for him mind being a known grass.

I thought he got 11 years minimum? Might not have mind

It's the fact he is a known grass, I don't think he realised cos he put his head in his hands after having his charges read out

I’m just watching yesteday’s now and I already know the outcome because I’ve seen the same victim and their family being interviewed on another documentary about knife crime.

Youtube is full of 'Drill' music 'acts' glamourising all this ..

There are hundreds of videos.

e.g see ''Lil Sykes' for instance :

They all get their knives/machetes out during the vid..

I thought he got 11 years minimum? Might not have mind

It's the fact he is a known grass, I don't think he realised cos he put his head in his hands after having his charges read out

BBC news article says half in custody and half on license. Think he had seen Jack Bauer hand out immunity for information too many times.

Need to give the police the upper hand at initial interview stage
change the law about No Comment or telling lies at the initial interview stage could be classed as obstructing the law
for example if they are told what there likely sentence will be if they tell the truth from the off compared to if they go no comment or lie and are found guilty the original sentence they could of had will be doubled if found guilty
reckon that might help police and save a shit load of time having to find the evidence to convict them

reckon that might help police and save a shit load of time having to find the evidence to convict them
Eh?:lol: why would you not want the police actually finding evidence to convict them? What do you suggest, just going on a police hunch?

Eh?:lol: why would you not want the police actually finding evidence to convict them? What do you suggest, just going on a police hunch?

No mate just an idea to put the power back with the Police as at the minute the law seems to be on the villains side
Example when they sit down for the first police interview they are told what sentence they could get for the crime if they come clean and admit the crime and then no need for any further investigation as they have admitted it
but if they choose to go no comment or lie this would lead to police having to investigate further so sentence would be doubled for obstructing an investigation once found guilty

No mate just an idea to put the power back with the Police as at the minute the law seems to be on the villains side
Example when they sit down for the first police interview they are told what sentence they could get for the crime if they come clean and admit the crime and then no need for any further investigation as they have admitted it
but if they choose to go no comment or lie this would lead to police having to investigate further so sentence would be doubled for obstructing an investigation once found guilty
They are warned when they're arrested not saying anything may be used against them in court.

They're absolute half wits like, I thought it was funny when homeboy grassed in full thinking he could get himself out of it and got 11 years :lol:

It's scary the knife thing like, I'm only 27 but feel like the generation slightly younger than me up to about 21/22 are a different breed. They talk different, they act different. They take more drugs than we ever did (and theyre not the fun ones, they're banging xanax, spice, high concentrate thc, crack - no one is enjoying themselves taking that shit), they have less respect for themselves, they have no fear of authority, they have grew up with no hope at all, all they can remember is single parents, sanctioned benefits, Jeremy Kyle, austerity, depravation, failed schooling, failed policing, food banks, Facebook, twitter. They couldn't give a fuck and have no understanding about what they are doing carrying knives
Yeah we watch and judge them and Sadiq Khan makes statements and our world doesn't exist in theres, non of it
We get uptight about sharia law ,this is way worse
Like that old cop said this is turf scraps ,they existed years ago but now it's knives murders and 18 years from one scrap

Clearly shat himself when he was actually at the nick though, spilled his guts whilst the others all went no comment.

If anything, for me that episode highlighted that carrying a knife probably makes you more likely to get stabbed. If the victim hadn't flashed his knife at that ginger kid it may never have ended the way it did.

Decent sentences though, minimum 18 year terms for some of them.

The problem is that prison needs to be a deterrent and an opportunity to rehabilitate. If you bang someone up who has no prospects when they're released in a hell hole of a jail then there's an incredibly high probability of them re-offending. There needs to be some attempt to put offenders on the right path.

That being said, prisons should not be cushy numbers with pool tables, TVs in every room and easy access to narcotics. Prisons need more funding, more staff and less luxuries.
Prison needs to be WTF is this place !? First then starting producing carrots on sticks .Isolation is good for reflection

They are warned when they're arrested not saying anything may be used against them in court.
Doesn’t work that tho anyone who knows the system goes no comment
I think a law change around the no comment would free up a lot of Police resources and maybe the justice system would be more streamlined at the minute it’s not fit for purpose
Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back