22 years and 20 years

I apologise, but some cases make me seriously wonder why the death penalty was abolished.

Part of me wants them to fully understand the depravity of what they've done but there's only really one way to make them fully comprehend the suffering they put Brian a and her family through.

Part of me wants them to fully understand the depravity of what they've done but there's only really one way to make them fully comprehend the suffering they put Brian a and her family through.
"Understanding" what they've done & how it directly affects others is beyond them. I'd also prefer them to have some pain, suffering & misery before their end.

I apologise, but some cases make me seriously wonder why the death penalty was abolished.
Errr…. It was abolished because you can’t bring hanged people back if it turns out they were wrongly convicted 🙄. It’s frightening to think how many innocent people would have been killed if it hadn’t been abolished.. the Birmingham six, the Guildford four, the Maguire seven, Stefan Kisko,… George Heron in Sunderland…. That’s why it will never be reintroduced in the very many developed countries that have abolished it.

Errr…. It was abolished because you can’t bring hanged people back if it turns out they were wrongly convicted 🙄. It’s frightening to think how many innocent people would have been killed if it hadn’t been abolished.. the Birmingham six, the Guildford four, the Maguire seven, Stefan Kisko,… George Heron in Sunderland…. That’s why it will never be reintroduced in the very many developed countries that have abolished it.

If you're going to start a post with 'er...' you need to come up with a more pertinent argument than that.

If the evidenced events reach a certain point I'm all for long term detainment while further facts are sought. I know it won't be reintroduced but are you actually suggesting they should be released & rehabilitated at the end of their sentence.
If you're going to start a post with 'er...' you need to come up with a more pertinent argument than that.
I'll listen to anyone's evdence based argument on the subject but for me the facts are clear, hence my post.

Last edited:
Because we are a civilised society.

Detaining someone against their will for the majority of their life is not particularly civilised mind. I think there's a case to be made for the severity of punishment being a direct indication of how much we value civilised behaviour. Japan and Singapore are infinitely more civilised societies than ours and both have the death penalty to be sure it stays that way.

Those are the minimum terms. Anyone aged under 18 cannot be given a whole life conviction so the sentence is "At His Majesty's Pleasure" which means that it could be a lot longer up to full life.

Lad down here who was well known (And a ticking time bomb) was found guilty of killing 2 teenagers in the late 90’s.

Escaped an open prison in 2010. Not sure when he was released but was recently rearrested for new offences.

Point being he was detained ‘at her majesty’s pleasure’ after killing 2 people and was out within 15 odd years despite escaping too

Detaining someone against their will for the majority of their life is not particularly civilised mind. I think there's a case to be made for the severity of punishment being a direct indication of how much we value civilised behaviour. Japan and Singapore are infinitely more civilised societies than ours and both have the death penalty to be sure it stays that way.
Silly logic, but most pro death penalty logic is.
Heard all the arguments and none hold water bar the possibility of re-offending, but imo the possibility of executing an innocent is just as bad, if not worse.

Silly logic, but most pro death penalty logic is.
Heard all the arguments and none hold water bar the possibility of re-offending, but imo the possibility of executing an innocent is just as bad, if not worse.

I’m not necessarily for the death penalty but there is one major difference today compared to when it was abolished: Scientific and DNA evidence.

A lot of people talking about wrongful/innocent convictions are talking about those in an era when science didn’t make something irrefutable.

Whether you agree with the death penalty or not is still subjective. But the wrongful conviction argument has massively decreased in most cases (not all) where you have DNA evidence in the probabilities of millions to 1

Lad down here who was well known (And a ticking time bomb) was found guilty of killing 2 teenagers in the late 90’s.

Escaped an open prison in 2010. Not sure when he was released but was recently rearrested for new offences.

Point being he was detained ‘at her majesty’s pleasure’ after killing 2 people and was out within 15 odd years despite escaping too
Our "society" has produced an increasing number of such examples ^.

Back