It's a great option for many

It's also the only option for many

That's the thing. My bro-in-law and his wife or girlfriend at the time wanted their own place.
Renting was their only option but also a sensible one. You don't know what someone is like until you've lived with them!

But as time has gone on, they've wanted their own place but saving for a deposit is hard.
They didn't want to move back in with parents - which is understandable, so they're stuck.
That said, if anything needs fixing - that's not their fault - I foot the bill for it, so in many ways they have it good too.

I have a small rental property. When I bought it, it was empty and had been up for ages. It’s not in the most desirable of areas. Paid a bit out and had it done up by professionals (rather than my bodge jobs) to a good standard. Currently rented out to a young migrant family who weren’t in a position to buy a property (at least at that time). It rents out at below the market rate. Any issues they have had with the property have been dealt with swiftly. When they leave it’ll be sold.

People think it’s hugely profitable but it really isn’t unless you own about 50 properties.

But, yeah, SCUM!
The house I rent out had been empty for years too. I lived in it for four years and spent the whole time fixing it up. I’ve got a lot of sweat equity in there and don’t plan on selling any time soon.

The AC went in the summer (Texas) - full replacement cost $8k - that doesn’t come out of the tenants pocket.

The “all landlords are scum” thing is a tad naive.

The house I rent out had been empty for years too. I lived in it for four years and spent the whole time fixing it up. I’ve got a lot of sweat equity in there and don’t plan on selling any time soon.

The AC went in the summer (Texas) - full replacement cost $8k - that doesn’t come out of the tenants pocket.

The “all landlords are scum” thing is a tad naive.
The tenants have already paid for that replacement AC with the rent that you're profiting from.

The tenants have already paid for that replacement AC with the rent that you're profiting from.
Ultimately yeah. I have no qualms with that, I rented my whole life before that house.

So to answer the thread - I could get a mortgage for 3% down in the states. Find an undervalued house that needs work, have it appraised and pull out the equity to fix it up then sell it.💰

But that’s cos I’m geet scummy.

Trainers, I already do it but with 20k and a bit of knowledge and a lot of motivation you could become self employed within a year. I started off with 5 pairs and probably invested less than £20k of my own money over the first 3 or so years when working full time, just kept buying more and more till I'm now self employed and have around 2500 pairs in stock, and like to stick around that amount for storage reasons.

On landlords, I currently rent as I have no idea where I want to live short/medium term so it's perfect for me, plus as others have said any issues fixed within a few days of me mentioning them, would be nice to pay less but they aren't a charity.

Trainers, I already do it but with 20k and a bit of knowledge and a lot of motivation you could become self employed within a year. I started off with 5 pairs and probably invested less than £20k of my own money over the first 3 or so years when working full time, just kept buying more and more till I'm now self employed and have around 2500 pairs in stock, and like to stick around that amount for storage reasons.

On landlords, I currently rent as I have no idea where I want to live short/medium term so it's perfect for me, plus as others have said any issues fixed within a few days of me mentioning them, would be nice to pay less but they aren't a charity.

Out of interest what styles do you go for to maximise profit? The American style Yeezy/ Air Max market seems to have the bigger mark-up than the British ‘casual’ ones?

and have a hard working family pay off your mortgage for you, whilst you sit and do nothing and they end up with nothing to their name. couldn't live with myself personally
I think there’s plenty of room for ethical landlords. It’s a much longer term investment though as if you look after your tenants, don’t rip them off and have decent property then you’re really investing in the value of the property long term. I’d love to be able to rent good accessible property to people with disabilities that gave them genuine long term security of decent housing cheaply.

Out of interest what styles do you go for to maximise profit? The American style Yeezy/ Air Max market seems to have the bigger mark-up than the British ‘casual’ ones?
I don't touch the yeezy/hype stuff tbh, you basically need somebody at a store to backdoor to make it worthwhile or create a bot to win hundreds of raffles.

Running trainers are my best seller, runners (obviously mental to start with) usually stick to the same shoe (style) for years so when they are sold out everywhere as a new version has been released I'm there to help. It's all just in eBay so don't even need to deal with customers face to face.

Back