2024 Holidays

We're off to Cumbria (again), boring to some but I love the Lakes from my walking days. I'd prefer to go overseas but my wife won't fly or sail, added to the fact she won't kennel the dogs so we're all off to Keswick.

We're doing Lanzarote. Been to Majorca a lot but the prices have been rising steadily for a while.
Had our first proper family holiday there with our lass and the bairn a couple of year ago, loved it. Looking to get back there before he gets too old for it.

Don't think we'll be doing a holiday abroad this year. Funds a bit tight for the time being, might be best to skip this one and look at going away next year. Probably look to stay in the UK and visit family instead.

I've did the WWI ones and the Normandy beaches, really interesting.

Thought about doing a bike ride from Le Havre to Bray-on-Somme following the route my grandad took to the front in WWI. It's in the battalion diary where they went and stopped.
Those places hold some historic poignant memories & thoughts, going somewhere like that would freak me out. The respect for those that were there in such times is impossible to fully comprehend. I'm at a stage in life where I can appreciate what people went through to get us where we are.

Last edited:
Those places hold some historic poignant memories & thoughts, going somewhere like that would freak me out. The respect for those that were there in such times is impossible to fully comprehend. I'm at a stage in life where I can appreciate what people went through to get us where we are.

My grandad was a wet-behind-the-ears 16 year old when he set off. He was only 15 when he enlisted (lied about his age).

My grandad was a wet-behind-the-ears 16 year old when he set off. He was only 15 when he enlisted (lied about his age).
Our nation was built on people like him, words fail me when I hear about what they had to face. Utmost respect is due. Then I think on those that didn't come home & those that did with injury. My Grandparents (that I met) wouldn't speak about wartime so the only brief bits I heard came via my Mother about her Brother that was in the WW2 desert, but he just would not entertain war service mention from anyone.

Booked the flight to Malaga and back on Sunday. I think it has gone up to £923 because my half is £461.50. Same flight number there and back too. LS557 going and LS588 returning.

We're off to Cumbria (again), boring to some but I love the Lakes from my walking days. I'd prefer to go overseas but my wife won't fly or sail, added to the fact she won't kennel the dogs so we're all off to Keswick.

Boring? It makes buying some emulsion paint and building a very high wall seem exciting. It took about 26 years for me to go on a holiday that wasn't in Cumbria. It was about 1992 when I first went to a particular holiday let (a pebble-dashed, 3 bed detached property) in a village a few miles south of Kendal and it wasn't till 2018 when I got to go somewhere else and finally live out my ambition and take a flight when I spent 4 days in Jersey.

Back