2023 Cycling thread

You thought about getting the ferry over to NL and doing any audax over there? I fancy the Amsterdam 200 on March 16th.

I've never looked at audax rides over there, was aware of PBP but not others on the continent....I've fancied just taking the bike over for 3/4 days for a mooch....
A flattish 200 sounds class tbf :)

I've never looked at audax rides over there, was aware of PBP but not others on the continent....I've fancied just taking the bike over for 3/4 days for a mooch....
A flattish 200 sounds class tbf :)

Thursday ferry to IJmuiden, spend a day riding to the start. 2/300, home on the Sunday.

Last edited:
I follow some Dutch cyclists on Instagram and was fascinated with an event which circled the entire border of the Netherlands… 1/3rd of which was an exposed coastal ride into a headwind which finished off a few riders…
Race around the Netherlands, looks shite to be honest, and full of ultra-bros who are guaranteed DNFs. I did the Borders of Belgium 1000 audax, much more fun.

The RATN organiser has a new ride in Norway that looks way better.

Are audax rides typically the domain of road bikes or could you take part with other drop-bar bikes?

Other bikes are fine....a lot of old school audax riders use steel framed bikes.
Comfort is generally key due to the distances involved.
I've used a steel framed genesis and a carbon trek....all depends on distance/weather etc...

Blitzed through Daniel Friebe's book about Jan Ullrich over Christmas.....cracking read.
Added that to my Amazon list. Currently reading Jeremy Wilson’s ‘Beryl’… only a third way through but it’s brilliant.

although I’m equally consumed by rage for the misogyny that elite woman sports stars must have had to face in years gone by… that a cyclist who was undoubtedly the best in the world was treat with so little respect by the male ‘suits’ of the british cycling establishment. You have to assume the current crop of world leading female cyclists don’t have the same issue, but this book makes me think twice.

Added that to my Amazon list. Currently reading Jeremy Wilson’s ‘Beryl’… only a third way through but it’s brilliant.

although I’m equally consumed by rage for the misogyny that elite woman sports stars must have had to face in years gone by… that a cyclist who was undoubtedly the best in the world was treat with so little respect by the male ‘suits’ of the british cycling establishment. You have to assume the current crop of world leading female cyclists don’t have the same issue, but this book makes me think twice.
Aye but she got the likes of BBC SPOTY…probably in the golden age of Time TrIalling when they got big crowds and interest n cycling was huge.
Amazing athlete mind.

Suits/blazers always been a set of twats in most sports it seems

Blitzed through Daniel Friebe's book about Jan Ullrich over Christmas.....cracking read.
brilliant recommendation, just finished it. kinda knew the highlights but not really who Jan was... bit of a sad story, slight echo of Paul Gascoigne... especially the last 10 years or so. seems a really nice guy though... its sad though that really EVERYONE was at it, and every team too... can see a T-Mobile echo in Sky's original white and transparent approach to drug free cycling anarl.

to think that if ullirch was born into a different generation, things *might* have been different.

don't suppose anyone can recommend anything similar they've read on Marco Pantani? For what its worth too, the documentary mention in the pipeline in the epilogue was out on German Amazon before christmas (Der Gejagte or The Hunted in english), doesnt look like theirs an english version just yet but i'd like to think its something they'll adapt for amazons world wide platforms...

brilliant recommendation, just finished it. kinda knew the highlights but not really who Jan was... bit of a sad story, slight echo of Paul Gascoigne... especially the last 10 years or so. seems a really nice guy though... its sad though that really EVERYONE was at it, and every team too... can see a T-Mobile echo in Sky's original white and transparent approach to drug free cycling anarl.

to think that if ullirch was born into a different generation, things *might* have been different.

don't suppose anyone can recommend anything similar they've read on Marco Pantani? For what its worth too, the documentary mention in the pipeline in the epilogue was out on German Amazon before christmas (Der Gejagte or The Hunted in english), doesnt look like theirs an english version just yet but i'd like to think its something they'll adapt for amazons world wide platforms...

Matt Rendells book on Pantani is excellent...

Back