2022 Cycling Thread

just started reading “God is dead - the rise and fall apart of Frank Vandenbrouke”
Going to enjoy this, shortlisted for William Hill book of the year
be interested to know what you make of the book when you're finished, as subjects go i think he was one of the more 'out there' lives of that mad 90s/00s period.

If you have a bike with a full complement of frame mounts / bosses would you opt for proper mudguards or a more simpler solution?

You don't even need frame mounts /bosses to have a fairly sturdy set of mudguards, which reminds me, i need to put mine on my road bike.
I got a pair of fairly quick fit guards with my road bike 2 years back. All you need is a through axel. They fit any bike. Not cheap mind.

just started reading “God is dead - the rise and fall apart of Frank Vandenbrouke”
Going to enjoy this, shortlisted for William Hill book of the year

Might give it a go.....Matt Rendall's book on Marco Pantani is worth a read if you haven't already...

David Millars book is another....might just be me but there's something about Millar I just can't get away with..

Might give it a go.....Matt Rendall's book on Marco Pantani is worth a read if you haven't already...

David Millars book is another....might just be me but there's something about Millar I just can't get away with..
The Pantani book is in my pills to read, and I have just started the Jens Voigt book.

I was taught VAT by David Millard uncle in Edinburgh, who is a top bloke and had a few tales about him. He would be about 18 stone, but commutes by bike so he got a skin suit from DM for Christmas, he said it was about the same size a handkerchief.

Not read Pantani one…have read Millars and like you I just can’t stand the fucker. Clearly knowledgeable but don’t like his commentary either
I thought he came across really well in that book.
😉 be a dull place if we all liked/disliked the same people and things
The Pantani book is in my pills to read, and I have just started the Jens Voigt book.

I was taught VAT by David Millard uncle in Edinburgh, who is a top bloke and had a few tales about him. He would be about 18 stone, but commutes by bike so he got a skin suit from DM for Christmas, he said it was about the same size a handkerchief.
What’s that ( I’m guessing you mean Value Added ?)

Last edited:
Not read Pantani one…have read Millars and like you I just can’t stand the fucker. Clearly knowledgeable but don’t like his commentary either

😉 be a dull place if we all liked/disliked the same people and things

What’s that ( I’m guessing you mean Value Added ?)
Yes, its Value added tax, and I also meant to say it was David Millar's uncle.

How was he training you in VAT ? As part of C&E ( HMRC) or external training ?

Used to be a BVT ( Basic VAT Training) trainer in C&E
I'm HMRC based in Benton Park View and I was lucky when I moved across to VAT it was still very much old school training.

I probably just missed your training.

Even luckier the course was 2 years and my tutorials were in Edinburgh, so I had about 25 trips to Edinburgh during the course. DM's uncle had been C&E and then HMRC all his career and was based in Aberdeen at the time.

Last edited:
I'm HMRC based in Benton Park View and I was lucky when I moved across to VAT it was still very much old school training.

I probably just missed your training.

Even luckier the course was 2 years and my tutorials were in Edinburgh, so I had about 25 trips to Edinburgh during the course. DM's uncle had been C&E and then HMRC all his career and was based in Aberdeen at the time.
Ah right…most training I did was PBH ( Leeds) though quite a bit in Newcastle( Cale across House and at Gosforth)

Proper full mudguards are best, and if the frame is designed to accommodate them then why not? If it's a bike you use all year-round then fit them for winter & take them off for summer.
Assuming it's a road bike, aye. Off road bike, I'd be buying mudhuggers.

While we are on the subject are you aware of any solution for a front mudguard on a rigid lefty fork? (Cannondale Slate)
New bike?

The only one I know is the Mudhugger Left One, which I think has been discontinued and was more for MTB than grav grav.

The book was excellent....just something a bit cycling snobbery about him....to be fair he can back it up mind.

Just started Mark Beaumont's endurance book that I received off Santie.......

Class that book. There’s a full supporting podcast series which is brilliant.
Geraint Thomas confirmed as riding the giro 2023. Seems like a shootout between him and Remco, if he can stay upright.

Last edited:

Back