2022 Cycling Thread

It's either up and out at 7am or options to shave 30km off the ride...don't fancy riding when it's above 25c either...not climbing anyway.
Earlier start might mean you miss the worse of the trip buses etc that descend ( pun intended) on the place. The time I went up "the fastest" was caught repeatedly by coaches at hairpins and had to unclip a fair few times.

A decent alternative might be to miss Sa Calobra but do a loop involving going up or down Femenia and battala ( the opposite)
Up battala and drop down Femenia or up Femenia and down Battala( I'd go for the former) as going down Battala's switchbacks can be very busy( slow) with coaches, whereas Femenia quieter and is fast and fantastic to ride down and takes you to Pollenca on the flat and new tarmac

Earlier start might mean you miss the worse of the trip buses etc that descend ( pun intended) on the place. The time I went up "the fastest" was caught repeatedly by coaches at hairpins and had to unclip a fair few times.

A decent alternative might be to miss Sa Calobra but do a loop involving going up or down Femenia and battala ( the opposite)
Up battala and drop down Femenia or up Femenia and down Battala( I'd go for the former) as going down Battala's switchbacks can be very busy( slow) with coaches, whereas Femenia quieter and is fast and fantastic to ride down and takes you to Pollenca on the flat and new tarmac

I remember going up Bealach Na Bar on single-track and it being a right pain stopping at the passing points to let traffic through. Mare getting going again.....
Might look at transport options to get over or closer....do the climb and extend the ride back...

I remember going up Bealach Na Bar on single-track and it being a right pain stopping at the passing points to let traffic through. Mare getting going again.....
Might look at transport options to get over or closer....do the climb and extend the ride back...
This might suit

they do a Sa Calobra drop off from Pollenca and Alcudia I recall

Last edited:
Decent cycling channel on YouTube called the cycling tattooist. He’s relatively new to cycling and is some talent. He’s too late into it to go pro but I’m fairly sure he’d have managed it if he started young.

He vloged a trip to Pollenca and everested Sa Colobra on his last day.

Aye....they've peddled Lopez due to some serious doping allegations.
Fall guy imo to take the heat off the team....
Will be a huge ask for Cav to take even one win at the tour.....then again, one is all he needs.
I wouldn't back against him somehow nabbing another, not the fastest or strongest but with his experience and how motivated he‘ll be for it he could manage it.

Vino getting rid of someone for dodgy behaviour :lol:

Mildly disappointed to read that Remco is doing the Giro, against Geraint & Primo (amongst others). Was hoping quickstep would put him up against the big lads in the tour this year.

Two way fight between Jonas & Tadej for the yellow jumper presumably.

Out for a short local ride down Mill lane onto Monkton lane Hebburn. Heading East towards Lukes lane just as you get to the new estate, a vehicle has mounted the kerb flattened a couple of small trees, shot across the road through a metal garden fence and straight through someones bay window into their living room.

Probable injuries as the Ambulance was just pulling away when i went past. Someones xmas ruined. Hopefully no serious injuries or worse.
I'm guessing it happened early-ish this morning.

Out for a short local ride down Mill lane onto Monkton lane Hebburn. Heading East towards Lukes lane just as you get to the new estate, a vehicle has mounted the kerb flattened a couple of small trees, shot across the road through a metal garden fence and straight through someones bay window into their living room.
Is that the little mini roundabout for the road that goes over spuggies bridge towards the lakeside?

Is that the little mini roundabout for the road that goes over spuggies bridge towards the lakeside?

Yeh, house is straight across the roundabout heading towards Lukes lane.

Not sure whats happened. It looks about 50 yards from mounting the kerb just before the r/b across the r/b through a small garden and into house. May even have gone into their kitchen at the back.

If you have a bike with a full complement of frame mounts / bosses would you opt for proper mudguards or a more simpler solution?

If you have a bike with a full complement of frame mounts / bosses would you opt for proper mudguards or a more simpler solution?
Depends really if you want the clip on type of guards ( say used on a good bike that you can easily remove guards) or as a more dedicated “winter bike “

Proper fenders miles better but more of a faff if you’re wanting to take on and off

Proper full mudguards are best, and if the frame is designed to accommodate them then why not? If it's a bike you use all year-round then fit them for winter & take them off for summer.

Back