2021 Cycling Thread

I was just reading an article about how the pandemic has affected the bicycle industry where there was a sales boom last year & everyone is trying to get more stock to sell this year & how consequently suppliers are increasing prices. The UK distributor for Lightweight wheels commented that last year one of the shops they supply was selling five or six pairs of the Lightweight wheels that cost £8,000 per pair - every week! They said that in normal times that shop would expect to sell that many in a month anyway. Don't know where the shop was but fuck me, how many people would you expect to buy an 8-grand pair of wheels? Who is buying them? Will it be mainly genuine racers being funded by sponsors - surely they haven't multiplied four-fold because of the pandemic. Or will it be knobs with more money than sense? It f***ing certainly isn't me.
Could it not be the riders for the pro conti/conti level teams? Not sure how easy it would be for some of these to get parts from manufacturers knowing they can sell to stores and get more money back so only way to do it is to buy from the stores.

Also I'd not be shocked if cycling uptake was around 2 or 3 times what it was pre pandemic so there will be 2/3 times as many rich people cycling wanting to buy the best to show off to their mates as they struggle up a slight hill on a pair of £8k wheels.

can you post the article?

It is in the CTC (sorry, "Cycling UK" now innit) magazine Cycle. But you can only view online if you are a member I think.

I was just reading an article about how the pandemic has affected the bicycle industry where there was a sales boom last year & everyone is trying to get more stock to sell this year & how consequently suppliers are increasing prices. The UK distributor for Lightweight wheels commented that last year one of the shops they supply was selling five or six pairs of the Lightweight wheels that cost £8,000 per pair - every week! They said that in normal times that shop would expect to sell that many in a month anyway. Don't know where the shop was but fuck me, how many people would you expect to buy an 8-grand pair of wheels? Who is buying them? Will it be mainly genuine racers being funded by sponsors - surely they haven't multiplied four-fold because of the pandemic. Or will it be knobs with more money than sense? It f***ing certainly isn't me.

Al you would know like me ( mid pack fodder when racing) that there seems to be no bounds to what some spend.

Remember seeing blokes really slow but wheeling up on Pinarellos, Lightweight Wheels and skinsuits costing a fortune, while bragging about wind tunnel testing.

Always my view it’s their dosh and let them spend/ spunk it how they wish, but amusing nonetheless.

Not just racing, see loads of weekend riders out with a set up that must be costing the price of a family car

Not just racing, see loads of weekend riders out with a set up that must be costing the price of a family car
everyone needs an expensive hobby... i was at the traffic lights in chester-le-street high street last summer next to the stereotypical mamil on his specialized s-works of some description, absolutely gorgeous bike. whilst he didnt have a bikers physique (bit of timber) he looked happy and having fun... i imagine his car is also 10x the cost of mine too, horses for courses.

everyone needs an expensive hobby... i was at the traffic lights in chester-le-street high street last summer next to the stereotypical mamil on his specialized s-works of some description, absolutely gorgeous bike. whilst he didnt have a bikers physique (bit of timber) he looked happy and having fun... i imagine his car is also 10x the cost of mine too, horses for courses.

yep doesn’t bother me....in fact like it when overtaking them, even better if I’m on my heavy/cheap winter bike.

yep doesn’t bother me....in fact like it when overtaking them, even better if I’m on my heavy/cheap winter bike.
it works both ways too, i got overtaken at the red lion plawsworth by a fat lad on an e-bike who was hardly pedaling! that's not cricket.

it works both ways too, i got overtaken at the red lion plawsworth by a fat lad on an e-bike who was hardly pedaling! that's not cricket.

Aye but e bikes don't count...a few times I've nearly killed myself to catch what looked a wibbly wobbler before realising on an e bike.....im eventually wishing up ;)

It doesn't bother me at all. People can spend their money on whatever they want. I'm just genuinely surprised that they sell so many things like that.
I remember a mate of mine spending nearly £8k on a new competition bike about eight years ago, but then he was one of the top local racers. A couple of months later he was near the sharp end of the sprint at the end of the North West regional road race championship when there was a big pile-up and his expensive new frame got snapped in half.

Last year a bloke on an ebike with a smug look on his face started to overhaul me on a gentle uphill slope and just as he was going past he got half way through some fuckin smart-alec comment when he looked down at my bike and said "fuck me, sorry I didn't realise you were on fixed gear. Respect mate". He still overtook me like but we both knew I was the most manly man :cool:
i presume that takes your mind off any road-rash issues he may have been suffering from!?
Sliding along the tarmac on his back at 40mph didn't do him much good like. Hospital job 😮

Last edited:
This years tour de france will see ineos back geraint thomas for his 2nd yellow jersey...

Should be an entertaining watch backed up by Tao Geoghegan Hart & Richard Carapaz...

What do people recommend for a hybrid? Budget 3k. Looking for carbon as have a fairly long/heavy commute now. Roughly 50% Road and 50% forest trail type surface.

This years tour de france will see ineos back geraint thomas for his 2nd yellow jersey...

Should be an entertaining watch backed up by Tao Geoghegan Hart & Richard Carapaz...

Tough ask at 34 and time out with injury......big changing of the guard if last year was anything to go by.

What do people recommend for a hybrid? Budget 3k. Looking for carbon as have a fairly long/heavy commute now. Roughly 50% Road and 50% forest trail type surface.
3k’s a bit of a decent budget for a commuter, fair play!

I’d go gravel. Ribble CGR or Canyon Grail 6.You’d save a decent amount of that 3k and still get an excellent bike with a top group set.

Are ribble decent in your experience?

What’s the going rate for one of those? Had been sniffing round the idea of a specialized diverge if the stock levels improved this year.

I have a diverge atm......decent enough all round bike. Not quite as fast as my road bike but it handles light trails no bother. You can fit tyres from 25 up to 35....I just run 28s.

Doubtful id ever get the chance of a 3k ribble ;)

Last edited:
3k’s a bit of a decent budget for a commuter, fair play!

I’d go gravel. Ribble CGR or Canyon Grail 6.You’d save a decent amount of that 3k and still get an excellent bike with a top group set.
Thanks, went for the Canyon Roadlite CF 9.0 LTD. Excited for new bike day 😎
PS. 3k is fine when you don't want to drive 😒

Last edited:
Are ribble decent in your experience?

What’s the going rate for one of those? Had been sniffing round the idea of a specialized diverge if the stock levels improved this year.
I’ve got a ribble r872 ultegra as my main bike and couldn’t recommended highly enough. Amazing bang for your buck.

Canyon Grail 6 is £1,649

I have a diverge atm......decent enough all round bike. Not quite as fast as my road bike but it handles light trails no bother. You can fit tyres from 25 up to 35....I just run 28s.
I’ve a 10yo tricross (recommended by this place) which has served me well, i have a touch of brand loyalty which is why i had my eyes on a diverge as the next bike. Do you have a double or single chainring on yours? I’m thinking of a single chainring gravel bike but am concerned it’s a come down from the triple on the tricross?
I’ve got a ribble r872 ultegra as my main bike and couldn’t recommended highly enough. Amazing bang for your buck.

Canyon Grail 6 is £1,649
Cheers... will have a look into those two.
Just googled that... nice! What was the lead time on it?

Last edited:

Back