2021 Cycling Thread

No....you can but every hire company I've ever used will hire them for a few euro's a week.
Last bike hire was 4 euro's for the week having just checked.

The one I've used the last 3 or four September trips also take 4 or 5 of the main measurements of your bike at home to try and have set up as near as possible to what you ride at home.

Sept 2019 had some real storms and bike was a real mess by the end of the week...great just handing it back in that state :lol:

4 euro's a week obviously pedal hire rather than bike....

Got my bike delivered today, nearly 11kg road bike. Just in time for spring and way lighter than my 20kg mountain bike. Just need to put a bit wider tyres on so I can get to the shepherd and shepherdess on a sunny day 😄

Got my bike delivered today, nearly 11kg road bike. Just in time for spring and way lighter than my 20kg mountain bike. Just need to put a bit wider tyres on so I can get to the shepherd and shepherdess on a sunny day 😄

Just went past that this morning. Lights were on but not sure if it was open. Seemed loads of cars parked alongside that and just outside Beamish. Maybe everyone was walking in the woods.

I was really apprehensive about dealing with PlanetX after sales support because one of my mates had a couple of really bad experiences with them a few years ago. But I take it all back. It was two and a half months after I bought it that I discovered they had sent me a 1x instead of the 2x SRAM shifter/caliper set that I ordered. But they have just swapped it out for the correct thing with nee bother.
I can get on and finish building the bike tomorrow. Another bike in the house 😁

Used my voucher today. New gear cable on my TCR and a gears resetting.

I never touch gears now ... rather give a government voucher to someone to do it for me. 😀

Not fancy it?

Granted it will be colder than Majorca/France but some of the scenery looks tremendous.

Do I balls... :lol:

Seriously though, chapeau and aye I bet the scenery is fantastic.

Will be going to Scotland in July with the lads but that will be boozing/whisky tours.

Cycling wise we booked the usual France trip to in laws,being a bit optimistic a few months ago, that now looks less likely.
We will hope to do something Spain wise in October half term, but again so much up in the air

Do I balls... :lol:

Seriously though, chapeau and aye I bet the scenery is fantastic.

Will be going to Scotland in July with the lads but that will be boozing/whisky tours.

Cycling wise we booked the usual France trip to in laws,being a bit optimistic a few months ago, that now looks less likely.
We will hope to do something Spain wise in October half term, but again so much up in the air
Aye, owt abroad is looking highly unlikely.

The Mrs (bless her) keeps buying me bits and bobs for the ride, obviously thinks its a 6 month arctic expidition where I can lug 20kg of weight about.
I've got 2x18ltr panniers and will take essentials only (max 10/12lb)

Fuck me, but the labyrinthine world of hydraulic brake caliper mounting options is complex and intriguing. After looking into the many possible options of different mounting brackets and bolt/washer types, sizes and combinations I have concluded that I actually have the wrong configuration of front caliper for the fittings on me front forks. I have a direct mount unit and I need a post mount one (albeit with direct mount bolt type!) Keep up at the back. So I now need to get a new caliper, shorten both hoses cos they are too long as new, then bleed the fuckers.
Next time I build a bike I'm sticking with rim brakes. After all - as David Millar said, he never heard anyone complain that they hadn't won a race cos they couldn't brake hard enough.
So credit where it's due, the support lads at PlanetX have accepted that they have sent the wrong mount type of caliper with my R/H hydraulic shifter/caliper unit - albeit wrong in a different way to their sending the wrong thing for the L/H lever unit. So even though the delivery guys fucked up spectacularly the support guys have been really responsive & helpful in putting it right. With a bit of luck I might finally have the right bliddy bits in a few days.

Luckily the delay isn't a problem because I'm building the bike for my son and due to a nasty motor bike accident a few months ago his wrists are still not in a state where he can ride a bike again yet. Every cloud & all that...

Last edited:

Back