2021 Cycling Thread

Hit a pothole that was hidden by the shadows this morning. Chain went over the spokes and snapped the mech hanger, so a nice 3.5 mile walk back to the start. Nowhere open so will have to wait to get it in on Tuesday. Nice.

Went for a short (8mile) but hilly trip around the rez on the tractor bikes (MTB) with Mrs Fish this afternoon.
You don't half realise how slow and cumbersome they are compared to the roadies. It felt like hard work riding them, unlike the proper bikes and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

32miler this morning, got slightly lost a couple of times :oops: can anyone recommend a decent sat nav/bike computer that isn't a silly price?

32miler this morning, got slightly lost a couple of times :oops: can anyone recommend a decent sat nav/bike computer that isn't a silly price?
Not being facetious - an OS map in the jersey pocket is a cheap option that works well. Also, getting lost is an effective way of discovering the area anyway. I have nowt against expensive bits of smart electronic magic, but they shouldn't be regarded as necessary.

Not being facetious - an OS map in the jersey pocket is a cheap option that works well. Also, getting lost is an effective way of discovering the area anyway. I have nowt against expensive bits of smart electronic magic, but they shouldn't be regarded as necessary.
No that's a very valid point, I guess I'm lazy in that sense.

You can upload a route on Strava on your phone and follow that I think (?)
Don't get turn by turn but you can still follow it. My lad followed one of my old routes the other day somehow.

Compatibility question regarding set up and gearing options...

On “best“ bike I’m currently running Ultegra DI2 ( older 11 speed version 6870 ) with 52/36 and 11-28 cassette.

As getting older/slower and unlikely to ever race again I’m looking at going full compact rather than semi compact.

As the current crankset is a 4 arm design, everything I’ve read suggests that simply swapping chainrings over to 50/34 should be straight forward, mentions that I may need to shorten chain slightly.
Is it as straightforward compatibility wise ?

Also as I’m using a current short cage rear mech would a 30 cassette be compatible with 50/34 ? Not a problem keeping 11-28 just thinking about options and been told set up could take up to 30t

Ridiculous to think I used to have road bike and TT bike with 54/42 :oops:

Back