2021 Cycling Thread

impressive...unlike Adam Blythe who I find as annoying and as cocky as Wiggins.

Dread when he’s a pundit
I don't mind Blythe, doesnt get many names wrong and can tell us what certain riders are doing and why they are doing it which helps people like me, plus doesnt talk about a random castle for 15 minutes and ignores the race.

Decent result for Cav today, 2nd in a sprint at GP Monsere, behind Merlier who attacked with 400 metres to go and kept the field at bay.

Can anyone recommend what type of bike I should go for.

I am looking to do solo or group cycles up to 50/60 miles but also something I can ride around with the my children, at weekends and holidays. I have always had a mountain bike, and also enjoy a bit of light off road/trail riding. I have never had a road bike and although I'd probably enjoy it, I don't want to splash out too much money on the bike and kit as I am also planning on buying a paddleboard.

Would a hybrid like the one below suit my needs and be a good choice? Or any other recommendations welcome.

Can anyone recommend what type of bike I should go for.

I am looking to do solo or group cycles up to 50/60 miles but also something I can ride around with the my children, at weekends and holidays. I have always had a mountain bike, and also enjoy a bit of light off road/trail riding. I have never had a road bike and although I'd probably enjoy it, I don't want to splash out too much money on the bike and kit as I am also planning on buying a paddleboard.

Would a hybrid like the one below suit my needs and be a good choice? Or any other recommendations welcome.

Gravel bike. Essentially road bike geometry (maybe more relaxed?) but with kinder gearing and wider, knobbier tyres for those rougher and hillier terrains
I'd like to see vdP's power stats in the closing stages; just powered away.

An average of 1,004 watts up the final ascent.

Last edited:
Concussion/safety protocols are a joke mind....George Bennett just had a nasty looking spill, helmet smashed and seconds later he's looking like me after a dozen pints.

30 seconds later "concussion protocol" done and he's pushed away on his bike :rolleyes:

Concussion/safety protocols are a joke mind....George Bennett just had a nasty looking spill, helmet smashed and seconds later he's looking like me after a dozen pints.

30 seconds later "concussion protocol" done and he's pushed away on his bike :rolleyes:
Be memes tonight comparing him to a footballer, trying to show just how strong he is. Nothing will change till somebody loses a life sadly as its all about not showing any weakness currently.

Should just be sit out of rest of the day if you crack your helmet and a race doctor then passes you fit to start the next day and you get given the time of the group you are in, bit more awkward on mountain stages but less crashes then I guess.

My miles have dropped quite a lot with the bad weather, and have been doing 4-ish short rides a week just to maintain a certain level of fitness.

Mtb today, mostly tarmac but some off road stuff too. What strikes home for me is that mtb rides are just so much fun. Mainly for the variety of the terrain. Making me look forward to the better weather.

Was convinced my miles are way down compared to first few months of last year.....a quick check suggests only about 50 miles less.

Feels as though I’ve not really got going this year, maybe because I’ve not got any cycling trip booked so far and no need to up ride/miles.

Hi lads, any suggestions for my first set of "proper" pedals and cycling shoes ?,I just don't use them never have, currently cycling a merida road bike ?

Shimano SPD SL Road Pedals,would they be ok to start off and see how they go ?

Hi lads, any suggestions for my first set of "proper" pedals and cycling shoes ?,I just don't use them never have, currently cycling a merida road bike ?

Shimano SPD SL Road Pedals,would they be ok to start off and see how they go ?
Never used anything but Look Keo...on all bikes.
Their entry level ones are about £40 and do a great job

Shoes...PX did/do have some tremendous value

or their carbon and double "boa" fastenings at an amazing price

Use Shimano RC7 myself and really like them, I've paid far more for shoes not as good

Shoes are something i wouldn't buy online just because i'd need to try them on.

Bought a pair of Sidi about 3 years back. Tried them in the shop, fine.
Got them home, wore them a few times and they were knacking my feet. So left them for a year, not i find them okay again. Nice looking shoes, but i've had to put an extra insole in to make them comfortable.

Shoes are something i wouldn't buy online just because i'd need to try them on.

Bought a pair of Sidi about 3 years back. Tried them in the shop, fine.
Got them home, wore them a few times and they were knacking my feet. So left them for a year, not i find them okay again. Nice looking shoes, but i've had to put an extra insole in to make them comfortable.

Always bought online without issues...apart from a fancy pair of Bont shoes...they were insanely small.
They were the type you had to put in the oven to soften and form fit your foot but never got that far as obvious far too small....went for Fizik in the end ( fine but notes good as current Shimano)

Back