2021 Cycling Thread

thought most new bikes came with Press fit BB nowadays...don’t often see threaded on bikes now.

i wasnt aware of it till it was mentioned in the road.cc reviews i'd googled last night, as if press-fit were yesterday's technology. i often find in my own head when reading reviews (not just bikes) in general that negative appraisal of something can be a deal breaker, it just needs context - which is where the smb can be useful! :cool:

i don't want to get in to the position where i order a bike, cancel it, order another one, possible get it delivered then wish i'd gotten the other one after the first ride! :)

Last edited:

thought most new bikes came with Press fit BB nowadays...don’t often see threaded on bikes now.

Fitted new tyres to new summer wheels and even though Contis they went on without levers and just my puny hands..didn’t even get the chance to use new tyre fitting thingy. What the fucks going on?
I think it's much more of a mixed bag now in terms of press-fit vs threaded. I think threaded standard is gaining ground again more because none of the press-fit bb standards have become the de-facto standard that the manufacturers would have hoped for.

tempted with one of these... have you bought a canyon before? seems they only sell direct straight from koblenz so i wouldnt get to see it till the day it turned up in Gateshead!? in august at current delivery times (not that august is a problem).

how has it been so far?

watch for the snapping bars....

tempted with one of these... have you bought a canyon before? seems they only sell direct straight from koblenz so i wouldnt get to see it till the day it turned up in Gateshead!? in august at current delivery times (not that august is a problem).

how has it been so far?
The planet x bikes look canny

how has it been so far?
Absolutely class. Would recommend it. Using it 90% trails and 10% road and it handles it very well.

this is a bit of a bike nerd question, im diving into various gravel bike reviews and finding information i didnt even know i needed to know, for example bottom brackets... does anyone here have an opinion of either press fit versus threaded bottom brackets?

just reading this review of the orro terra c...

The thing with BB is that the two sides should have a tight geometric tolerance, i.e. the axis of the bearings, and therefore the axis of the crank, should ideally be in line but if not, only a little out.
I assume press fit became a thing because you can't cut a thread on carbon but it seems manufacturers got a bit sloppy with their manufacturing methods and the GTol slipped so when a well-manufactured component, i.e. the chainring / crank, is installed it'll immediately highlight any shoddy manufacturing / QA processes. This tolerance can be controlled better when you cut both threads in the one machining process. Mind, that's not to say you can't achieve a good GTol using press fit but it's likely to bump up the price of the bike.

The thing with BB is that the two sides should have a tight geometric tolerance, i.e. the axis of the bearings, and therefore the axis of the crank, should ideally be in line but if not, only a little out.
I assume press fit became a thing because you can't cut a thread on carbon but it seems manufacturers got a bit sloppy with their manufacturing methods and the GTol slipped so when a well-manufactured component, i.e. the chainring / crank, is installed it'll immediately highlight any shoddy manufacturing / QA processes. This tolerance can be controlled better when you cut both threads in the one machining process. Mind, that's not to say you can't achieve a good GTol using press fit but it's likely to bump up the price of the bike.
i noticed that the canyon grail has press-fit, but they've got a new canyon grail 1by that has swapped back to a threaded bb... i get the impression that with an off the shelf bike that i'm unlikely to tinker with, this should be an issue either way.

for some reason i've become intrigued by the gravel bikes that are going with a single chain-ring, and that's coming from a 10yo cyclocross with a triple!
Absolutely class. Would recommend it. Using it 90% trails and 10% road and it handles it very well.
you had no issue with not being able to see or ride it until you'd forked out a decent wedge and it arriving on your door? i feel like if im gonna splash out 2k on a bike i'd like to at least see it first - seems that's not canyon's way of doing business though!?

Last edited:
i noticed that the canyon grail has press-fit, but they've got a new canyon grail 1by that has swapped back to a threaded bb... i get the impression that with an off the shelf bike that i'm unlikely to tinker with, this should be an issue either way.

for some reason i've become intrigued by the gravel bikes that are going with a single chain-ring, and that's coming from a 10yo cyclocross with a triple!

I'm also on the lookout for a new bike but no rush as I appear to be a fair-weather rider. It seems that for what I want out of a bike a gravel bike would be the best solution (potential equal mix of on and off-road) but I can't get away with a 1x as I think I'll run out of gears at top-end when I'm in a scenario where I want to push on, i.e. riding on road with traffic.

you had no issue with not being able to see or ride it until you'd forked out a decent wedge and it arriving on your door? i feel like if im gonna splash out 2k on a bike i'd like to at least see it first - seems that's not canyon's way of doing business though!?
No problem at all. Im in DE and have a few canyons already (all bought off the back of a RTG thread actually!). Got a few mates here who swear by them as well. At the end of the day it's no bother for me cos I'm only a few hours from Koblenz if I have an issue. Build quality has been excellent so far - if you overlook recent pro cycling news 🤣. One thing I would say is that I've upgraded a few peripheral parts but that's not from necessity, I just don't like the look of certain things that they use.

but I can't get away with a 1x as I think I'll run out of gears at top-end when I'm in a scenario where I want to push on, i.e. riding on road with traffic.
i watched a very nerdy youtube video that was part bike episode and part computer programmer where he mapped out the ratio's comparing 1by & 2by with the only ratio that was missing on a 1by being the very final top-end ratio... seems the gaps between them are a bigger issue where finding the right cadence is a problem (depending on your riding style).

i'm torn...

No problem at all. Im in DE and have a few canyons already (all bought off the back of a RTG thread actually!). Got a few mates here who swear by them as well. At the end of the day it's no bother for me cos I'm only a few hours from Koblenz if I have an issue. Build quality has been excellent so far - if you overlook recent pro cycling news 🤣. One thing I would say is that I've upgraded a few peripheral parts but that's not from necessity, I just don't like the look of certain things that they use.
They're absolutely shite from a manufacturing perspective. That's why the build spec is decent, the frames cost about $40USD.

i watched a very nerdy youtube video that was part bike episode and part computer programmer where he mapped out the ratio's comparing 1by & 2by with the only ratio that was missing on a 1by being the very final top-end ratio... seems the gaps between them are a bigger issue where finding the right cadence is a problem (depending on your riding style).

i'm torn...
Hambini?

Back