*********2018 Cycling Thread********

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got any tips on avoiding painful thighs when cycling?

I just did a 40mile ride and in the last 10,despite it being easy going, the muscles down the front of my thighs felt like they were going to explode.

I’m used to doing 5-20 mile rides. Is it just the muscle burn as I work my legs more? I got off my bike feeling that my core fitness would allow me to do another 20 miles. My legs said otherwise!
Are you varying your position? Could also be worth tweaking your saddle height.

Anyone got any tips on avoiding painful thighs when cycling?

I just did a 40mile ride and in the last 10,despite it being easy going, the muscles down the front of my thighs felt like they were going to explode.

I’m used to doing 5-20 mile rides. Is it just the muscle burn as I work my legs more? I got off my bike feeling that my core fitness would allow me to do another 20 miles. My legs said otherwise!

As Ross says if it’s the quads it might be saddle too low ?

Mrs has bought an excercise bike and asked me if I had a pair of cycling shorts she could use since her arse is hurting.

Apparently
"I might have a pair way to big fer me and divvnt sleep with yer back to me" wasn't the answer she was looking for.

As Ross says if it’s the quads it might be saddle too low ?
Cheers, and Ross too. I was always told that saddle height should be set with you standing on the balls of your feet. Looking online, that seems to be bollocks.

I did wonder if my leg was just not getting straight enough on the down stroke, because if I stopped and walked for a minute the pain would stop quickly. I’ve raised it by around 5cm. I’m off out again on Sunday so I’ll see how it goes.

Cheers, and Ross too. I was always told that saddle height should be set with you standing on the balls of your feet. Looking online, that seems to be bollocks.

I did wonder if my leg was just not getting straight enough on the down stroke, because if I stopped and walked for a minute the pain would stop quickly. I’ve raised it by around 5cm. I’m off out again on Sunday so I’ll see how it goes.

5cm is a big rise mind....how about taking out a multi tool and adjusting it bit by bit while out. You can then see how each raising or dropping of saddle makes a difference ?

By the sounds of it, your saddle was too low and hopefully that will sort it. But you also did twice your normal distance so a bit of pain or discomfort is understandable. Keep going, making little adjustments as necessary to get your right set-up, and you'll be doing a century ride in no time..... :)

By the sounds of it, your saddle was too low and hopefully that will sort it. But you also did twice your normal distance so a bit of pain or discomfort is understandable. Keep going, making little adjustments as necessary to get your right set-up, and you'll be doing a century ride in no time..... :)
I’m doing one tomorrow on a bike I’ve not yet ridden :lol:

I do want to build up to 100 miles. I’m reasonably fit and a couple of my regular football games have fizzled out so I was going to replace them with cycling. I have this daft idea of cycling up to my parents in Washington - from my place in Kent. I’m not going to seriously consider it until I have done a century.

I’m doing one tomorrow on a bike I’ve not yet ridden :lol:

Is that what you were up to last week in Cycleworld ?

Btw see Blaine has downed tools or rather sprockets and not riding anymore :eek:
Apparently sold all bar two of his bikes and signed off Strava etc

I do want to build up to 100 miles. I’m reasonably fit and a couple of my regular football games have fizzled out so I was going to replace them with cycling. I have this daft idea of cycling up to my parents in Washington - from my place in Kent. I’m not going to seriously consider it until I have done a century.

Good on you! That'd be about 250 miles, i reckon (it was exactly 240 from my place in Greenwich to Roker Park!! :cool:). That'll be a long day! Hope you get a tail-wind..... :lol::lol:

Good on you! That'd be about 250 miles, i reckon (it was exactly 240 from my place in Greenwich to Roker Park!! :cool:). That'll be a long day! Hope you get a tail-wind..... :lol::lol:
I reckon 360 going cycle routes, it is 330 by car. 4 or 5 days was my plan. For now it is to have done a 75 mile by autumn.

Do it in July and you can hang on the back of our group going from London to Newcastle

If your hips start rocking, you've raised it too much . Hope it's sorted mate

I reckon 360 going cycle routes, it is 330 by car. 4 or 5 days was my plan. For now it is to have done a 75 mile by autumn.

Just go up the A1, man. Much more direct and you can draft the juggernauts! Most of it is legal to ride on. :cool::cool:

I think you may be surprised how quickly your distance can progress. If you try and extend your ride by @ 10% each week you'll be doing a century by the middle of summer......ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back