**** 2017 Cycling Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed their event on FB. Last few times i've been round that way i've intended to do it, then talked myself out of it.
They need to try something different on the Peth. What about reversing it, and making it a TT decent. That would test your brakes. And your sanity.

some of us do Peth Bank for fun - never realised there were crazy people who attempt to go up as fast as possible

:)

some of us do Peth Bank for fun - never realised there were crazy people who attempt to go up as fast as possible

:)

Some strong riders on the start list...wind might be in their favour as well ( Southerly) though not a course overly exposed, certainly not at bottom steep bit

Some strong riders on the start list...wind might be in their favour as well ( Southerly) though not a course overly exposed, certainly not at bottom steep bit

might get a little help in the exposed part, normal prevailing winds in the Derwentside microclimate being normally westerly

(or in my case, headwind out, headwind back)

I appear to have retired from hill climbs. Last one I did was the big annual Cat&Fiddle event 4 years ago. Considering I was 59 at the time I was really pleased to do it inside 30min (29:25). Then I saw that the bloke who won the over 60s category did 21min!

I appear to have retired from hill climbs. Last one I did was the big annual Cat&Fiddle event 4 years ago. Considering I was 59 at the time I was really pleased to do it inside 30min (29:25). Then I saw that the bloke who won the over 60s category did 21min!

Never done one....not built for them :lol:
Good laugh to watch mind....and given the National is on up this way might be tempted to go and spectate

Is that the one we went down @percy when you were going faster than the van?

Think Percy has been up it by looks of Strava...:cool:
Wouldn't want to cane it near the bottom, got a little sharp turn that is lethal, especially if vehicle coming the other way...
Saw the odd collapse shortly after finish today :lol:
Hill TTs done half produce some gurning ;)

Last edited:
Is that the one we went down @percy when you were going faster than the van?
No mate. That was Howden Bank. Peth Bank is the next left heading towards Durham. Far too scary to go over 50 going down there. Howden Bank nice and straight.

Think Percy has been up it by looks of Strava...:cool:
Wouldn't want to cane it near the bottom, got a little sharp turn that is lethal, especially if vehicle coming the other way...
Saw the odd collapse shortly after finish today :lol:
Hill TTs done half produce some gurning ;)
Couldn't get up it with an engine strapped to me back these days mate.:oops:.
Never get out these days. Pushed mesel out a few weeks back and had a bit of an altercation with a motorist couple of mile after setting off. Had to leg it it for home and sort of put me totally off going out.

Last edited:
No mate. That was Howden Bank. Peth Bank is the next left heading towards Durham. Far too scary to go over 50 going down there. Howden Bank nice and straight.

Never get out these days. Pushed mesel out a few weeks back and had a bit of an altercation with a motorist couple of mile after setting off. Had to leg it it for home and sort of put me totally off going out.

What's you real name ? Thought you here on list of SMB red having done Peth....done Howden even more than Peth...another fucker( the false flats at top get me every time) :evil: as you say straight so can cane it downhill

I'm over 200 pounds, no way I'm getting over anything 20% +

What's you real name ? Thought you here on list of SMB red having done Peth....done Howden even more than Peth...another fucker( the false flats at top get me every time) :evil: as you say straight so can cane it downhill
No mate. won't be me.

Cyclocross is the future mate, especially where you live. Straight onto the lines and miles of opportunities to annoy pedestrians and leave the motorists alone. Saying that, apart from a bit of farm support cycling. I have done next to nowt for months :(

Cyclocross is the future mate, especially where you live. Straight onto the lines and miles of opportunities to annoy pedestrians and leave the motorists alone. Saying that, apart from a bit of farm support cycling. I have done next to nowt for months :(
I did one ride of 14 miles and was cramping up. Was like broken kite when i got home.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back