**** 2017 Cycling Thread ****

So do you put weight etc into zwift and based on time/distance it calculates your ftp?

Not got access to a wattbike ( loads of gym s have them now) that could give you an accurate one ?

aye, had to enter my lardy weight for it to give me the calculated figure

nah, dont do gyms

aye, had to enter my lardy weight for it to give me the calculated figure

nah, dont do gyms

Ah, it will be a bit like the power figure gives on the non premium Strava account then ?
Same thing as must calculate on speed/weight etc and comes up with figure for power.

Looked back over some old 25 tt's of mine and the power figure given( not using an actual power meter) were not a million miles out ( based on race time and known ftp)but probably slightly over estimated.

Zwift may be more accurate...so go with their figure ;)

Surely a non-power meter setup gives you a bollocks score, simply because of the variable resistance?

Yep....its making some weird calculation to come out with a number.
Using a power meter is accurate as power is an absolute measure...no algorithm etc involved

I suppose if all of the variables stay the same it gives you a number to work to on Zwift though.

Like if you had a set of scales that were 6kg out, they'd always be 6kg out so you'd see what progress you were making.

I suppose if all of the variables stay the same it gives you a number to work to on Zwift though.

Like if you had a set of scales that were 6kg out, they'd always be 6kg out so you'd see what progress you were making.

well that was my thinking, if the only thing that i change is my weight (hopefully) then for me at least i should see how (if) i progress

pretty useless for making comparisons against others, but then i aint bothered if Johnny Internet wants to play with his resistance so he puts out 400 watts all the time

well that was my thinking, if the only thing that i change is my weight (hopefully) then for me at least i should see how (if) i progress

pretty useless for making comparisons against others, but then i aint bothered if Johnny Internet wants to play with his resistance so he puts out 400 watts all the time

Aye, as Walter says, if nowt else you've got a baseline figure you can use to compare against, regardless of whether that figure is correct.

Got a belter of a turbo session for you if you're short of ideas or get bored ;)

Aye, as Walter says, if nowt else you've got a baseline figure you can use to compare against, regardless of whether that figure is correct.

Got a belter of a turbo session for you if you're short of ideas or get bored ;)
Go on? I'm on my turbo 3 times a week currently.

Go on? I'm on my turbo 3 times a week currently.

It's a Pete Read special that he had me doing ;)

"The flat out 50 second sets as demonstrated here. So a thorough warm up then in top gear and a high resistance (this is weight training on the bike) do 10secs flat out 10secs off, 10secs flat out 10secs off 10secs flat out end of set. Have 3 minutes in a tiny gear to allow for full recovery and repeat the set 7 times."

What made it particularly hard was getting your biggest gear ( all my turbo sessions then were on my TT bike so 54/11) going from a v small "off"

Enjoy :lol:

It's a Pete Read special that he had me doing ;)

"The flat out 50 second sets as demonstrated here. So a thorough warm up then in top gear and a high resistance (this is weight training on the bike) do 10secs flat out 10secs off, 10secs flat out 10secs off 10secs flat out end of set. Have 3 minutes in a tiny gear to allow for full recovery and repeat the set 7 times."

What made it particularly hard was getting your biggest gear ( all my turbo sessions then were on my TT bike so 54/11) going from a v small "off"

Enjoy :lol:
Christ. I'm getting coached on my turbo at minute which is involving a lot of 'hills'.

Christ. I'm getting coached on my turbo at minute which is involving a lot of 'hills'.

Who is coaching you out of interest ? or is it an online plan ? Planning Crits/Road or TT ?

My Tuesday session was the one I dreaded( longish tempo) rest of the week seemed "easy" after that

Who is coaching you out of interest ? or is it an online plan ? Planning Crits/Road or TT ?

My Tuesday session was the one I dreaded( longish tempo) rest of the week seemed "easy" after that
A guy from the tri club, used to be a great amateur cyclist. Knows his onions. I do triathlons, managed sub 6 hours on a flat 112 miles earlier this year. He reckons I've got loads more to give, just need to apply myself.

Today's if i can be arsed, feeling a bit crappy though.

Warm up, 10min

Main set all at 90rpm
8 x (1min 6/10, 1min 9/10, 1min 6/10, 2min 9/10)

Cool down, 10min

A guy from the tri club, used to be a great amateur cyclist. Knows his onions. I do triathlons, managed sub 6 hours on a flat 112 miles earlier this year. He reckons I've got loads more to give, just need to apply myself.

Today's if i can be arsed, feeling a bit crappy though.

Warm up, 10min

Main set all at 90rpm
8 x (1min 6/10, 1min 9/10, 1min 6/10, 2min 9/10)

Cool down, 10min

Guessing your sets are based on perceived exertion ?

Well I have finally decided on a replacement for my Kona. I have ordered a Lapierre from CRC Being delivered by parcelforce, who I think are either riding it up or pushing it :(

Part time cyclist here, so just bought a cyclo cross bike in sale. Ridley Xbow 20. Lovely looking bike and looked ideal for what I want, mainly road use with occasional light trails. Been on a few times now and fk me, hills seem harder on it than my old roady and hybrid. Am fairly fit but just seems to be hard work. Is this the case with cyclo cross bikes?
Tyres are normally a bit softer than a hybrid or roadie, giving a lot more grip but at the cost of poorer rolling resistance. Wait till you get out on a horrible slippy road, or even the ice. You will love it. Mine is higher geared than my roadie

Last edited:
Ebay/Cycling question

Going to sell TT bike( sat in spare bedroom for two/three years but will make sure it's clean/in good order)
While I've sold and bought stuff on e bay before, its been for relatively small or low value items. I'm not on facebook etc nor do I want to use other auction sites as i'm familiar with fleabay.

Would I be better off saying pick up only and cash on pick up ? Guessing I'd also not allow a test ride before having cash in hand ?
You sometimes hear horror stories about scams and lack of paypal protection etc.

Any ideas or anyone sold a bike on e bay ?

Cheers

Ebay/Cycling question

Going to sell TT bike( sat in spare bedroom for two/three years but will make sure it's clean/in good order)
While I've sold and bought stuff on e bay before, its been for relatively small or low value items. I'm not on facebook etc nor do I want to use other auction sites as i'm familiar with fleabay.

Would I be better off saying pick up only and cash on pick up ? Guessing I'd also not allow a test ride before having cash in hand ?
You sometimes hear horror stories about scams and lack of paypal protection etc.

Any ideas or anyone sold a bike on e bay ?

Cheers
Are you in tyne and wear? If so i can advertise the bike on a few groups.

Are you in tyne and wear? If so i can advertise the bike on a few groups.

Aye Sunderland

That would be good ta.
I'm going to get it down from spare room, get cycleworld to replace gear cables etc, give it a clean and take some photo's
Might let you know when all that is done if you don't mind and give you details ?

It will be a lot of bike for someone( was half thinking of selling parts on their own as I know the likes of Hed Tri spoke are always sought after) but can't be arsed

@Cee Jay when you say it's a TT bike , to a novice what does that men exactly ? is it a bike you would just specifically use for shot speed sessions or something ? or would it be suitable for triathlons ?

@Cee Jay when you say it's a TT bike , to a novice what does that men exactly ? is it a bike you would just specifically use for shot speed sessions or something ? or would it be suitable for triathlons ?

Full TT bike, but also more than suitable for Triathlons. Most bikes are now even badged as TT/Triathlon.
I only used it for TT but would have certainly used it for tri's or duathlons if I'd had it when I did them.
Very good spec ( Rocky Mountain TT frame( carbon) Vision Tri Max carbon Chainset, Vision Tri max Integrated bars etc, TT Shimano shifters, Hed front tri spoke
and Hed rear disc wheel.

All bought brand new( apart from the wheels which were bought second hand but run true etc)

Back