[1st Test] England v Pakistan (Old Trafford)

Status
Not open for further replies.

How is scoring 38 being in form? Your standards are so low

Again you totally missing the point, scores and value of them are totally dependant on the state of the game, value to the team, conditions, you can’t just say 38 is a good or bad score or that 75 is good or bad it depends.

For example the way Woakes and Buttler under immense pressure decided to change tactics and attack Pakistan and not only that but win the game with those tactics means imo their 75 and 80 were miles better than a 75 by number 3 on a flat wicket in the first innings of a game

His knock in the first innings contributed to winning the game and his partnership with Pope got us out of the shit and again was made under pressure.

It’s not just a question of what is a good score it’s the game situation.

Frankly I am amazed you can’t see that and you just quoting his average in this game rather than looking at the game situation, suggests to me your totally missing my point

Last edited:
Again you totally missing the point, scores and value of them are totally dependant on the state of the game, value to the team, conditions, you can’t just say 38 is a good or bad score or that 75 is good or bad it depends.

For example the way Woakes and Buttler under immense pressure decided to change tactics and attack Pakistan and not only that but win the game with those tactics means imo their 75 and 80 were miles better than a 75 by number 3 on a flat wicket in the first innings of a game

His knock in the first innings contributed to winning the game and his partnership with Pope got us out of the shit and again was made under pressure.

It’s not just a question of what is a good score it’s the game situation.

Frankly I am amazed you can’t see that and you just quoting his average in this game rather than looking at the game situation, suggests to me your totally missing my point

So you are happy with Buttlers 1 100 in 70 odd innings? And his 5 drops in the last game? Just for clarity

So you are happy with Buttlers 1 100 in 70 odd innings? And his 5 drops in the last game? Just for clarity

No, of course would like it better,however firstly I don’t think a wicket keeper batsman should be judged on 100s coming in with the tail at 7 as hard to do that ,they should be judged on 50s and Buttler’s record on that score not too bad.

Secondly his poor wicket keeping display is this test match, to me makes his two innings even better, as played under a lot of pressure when not only the team was in the shit but himself under pressure as well.

To me cricket is about adapting your game to the situation and performing when the pressure is on, and while I see your point overall with Buttler, his performance in this test match with the bat were matching winning performances.

Not trying to be awkward mate that my genuine take on it.

His wicket keeping could be better and his record with the bat could be better, but his keeping overall has not been too bad as has his batting record, for you to call his record a disgrace and his keeping a disgrace as you did quoting another poster is way over the top and out of context imo.

And disrespectful to a undoubtably very talented cricketer
Just my opinion but Buttler is a big game player a man who you need on your side both as a character and a player!

Last edited:
Who are we judging buttler up to in history?

he is right up there in the averages for keepers in recent history.

yes his keeping was horrendous in this last test but that can and will improve in time.

in world cricket terms, he is feared as a batsman. I really can’t see him being dropped and he will be playing unless injured. Foster of Essex had to live with this in his time, and foakes will be unlucky in this era.

im reading jack russells autobiography and similar arguments were around between him and Alec Stewart. They went with Stewart’s superior batting

Who are we judging buttler up to in history?

he is right up there in the averages for keepers in recent history.

yes his keeping was horrendous in this last test but that can and will improve in time.

in world cricket terms, he is feared as a batsman. I really can’t see him being dropped and he will be playing unless injured. Foster of Essex had to live with this in his time, and foakes will be unlucky in this era.

im reading jack russells autobiography and similar arguments were around between him and Alec Stewart. They went with Stewart’s superior batting
Is he?

Baistow, Watling, De Kock, Dhoni, Sarfaraz, McCullum, are all well ahead of his average.

he’s just ahead of Tim Paine and Shane Dowrich.

Is he?

Baistow, Watling, De Kock, Dhoni, Sarfaraz, McCullum, are all well ahead of his average.

he’s just ahead of Tim Paine and Shane Dowrich.
England keepers, I should have said. I think he is higher than knott, Russell, Taylor, Jones, Downton, etc etc etc. As for bairstow his record was decreasing in time.

he won’t be getting dropped buttler

Last edited:
9 for Prior, 8 for Stewart (admittedly didn’t always keep), down to 2.5 for Bairstow. Which shows how bad his form has been as well
Well as prior and Stewart have gone, we will use bairstow. That will change after this series.

buttlers record is pretty good in that respect. He is feared by the overseas teams. He won’t be getting dropped as he is in the management group and has a full contract.

his keeping will need to improve but that will be getting worked on. It’s a good debate though.

Well as prior and Stewart have gone, we will use bairstow. That will change after this series.

buttlers record is pretty good in that respect. He is feared by the overseas teams. He won’t be getting dropped as he is in the management group and has a full contract.

his keeping will need to improve but that will be getting worked on. It’s a good debate though.
He isn’t feared in tests at all.

And you know, we could try a different keeper? It’s not Bairstow or Buttler and that’s it

He isn’t feared in tests at all.

And you know, we could try a different keeper? It’s not Bairstow or Buttler and that’s it
He is as was shown yesterday. I would lay a decent potato wedge on that if asked to any overseas captain, buttler or foakes they would go foakes everytime.

Looking forward to seeing him on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back