16-8 fasting?

Anyone tried this? Does it work?
I’ve been doing a form of intermittent fasting for about 5 years.

There’s quite a few threads on here, but the idea is to eat normally within a restricted ‘window’.

I usually start eating at about 12 mid-day so any weight loss will probably come from not eating an earlier meal.

Mosley has quite a few articles on BBC.

Last edited:
has been show to contribute to many health benefits.

strictly weight loss, it proves absolutely zero benefit.

You can however use it as a tool IF it helps you to stick to your calorie intake.

I have just done 2 months where I have 2 fast a week each one lasting 24 hours - rest of the week eat and drink as normal. Lost 13lbs in this time which was a 5% weight loss.

I done 5/2 fasting before, I just remember being f***ing freezing on the fast days and having about 100 cups of tea to try and warm up

I kind of naturally live like that when im at it . Only eat between 10am and 6 pm . I dont think it does much weight wise but i feel lighter most of the day .
Just one thing marra , i seem to remember you saying you are under the weather at present .
Just check with the quack its an optimal regime to help you pick up quick 👍

Andrew Huberman goes into the science/evidence of the benefits.

There are a few cut down clips of this discussion. One of them:

You can however use it as a tool IF it helps you to stick to your calorie intake.
makes sense, and the fact you havent slammed it means it can work, but people still need to live with the mantra of tracking calories, no point in gorging for 8 hours per day and going over calories, else it is negating all the health benefits

Breakfast is the least important meal of the day and should be skipped regularly

Breakfast is for wimps iirc
It depends I think.

Ideally I would eat in this pattern:

08:00 breakfast
12:00 dinner (largest meal)
16:00 evening meal
18:00 healthy snack

I can’t really fit this in around work and family commitments.

Of course you could probably eat at whatever time you like as long as it’s about an hour before bedtime?

You could eat 1000 calories of rubbish at breakfast, dinner, tea time, bed time.

Or 300 cals of half decent food. I’m off to make some porridge.

If you look at it from a calories in / calories out perspective, you’re right.

But it does reduce your eating window, which in itself can be a benefit, if you’re not gorging crap for 8 hours.

September/October, I did 16:8 with keto-level carbs and the weight just fell off. I lost over a stone in the first 4 weeks.

Granted there will have been a lot of water weight there, but it steadily kept going even after the initial quick drop.

I had keto-flu for about a week. After that energy levels went through the roof, and I have generally felt great.

The reason I am taking in the past tense is that for the last 3 weeks or so I have been trying out alternate day fasting, with 3 days a week with no food.

I am absolutely stunned at how not hungry I am on fast days, and the weight keeps coming off. I feel great too.

I am monitoring blood sugar, blood pressure and urine ketones to make sure all is well. All is well and getting better.

Just my experience. No warranties. DYOR.

TL,DR I'm turning into a right boring bastard. But thinner.

I do 16/8 couple of times weekly because there's absolutely no reason not to. It's not just weight it helps with either.

The short story version of it because the body is not time consumed on digesting foods it resorts to other things it could be doing such as muscle repair and skin repair hence why athletes swear by it, also end up with clearer skin if you're prone to breakouts or ezcema if you're asthmatic

16/8 is piss easy if you just skip evening meal or breakfast

Depends on the persons routine so it's pretty ignorant to say piss easy. A shift worker will find it horrendously hard with body clocks all over the place, a nightshifter such as myself finds it too easy, last meal at midnight, awake til 6am, wake up at 3pm I've done 15 of the 16 hours already without even trying.

Honestly, the whole fasting thing is completely overplayed in terms of the health benefits and much of the other nonsense surrounding it.

When you realise that meat and fish for example can take up to 2 days to fully digest, meaning you’re technically not fasting, it starts the ball rolling in terms of how absurd much of the logic behind it actually is, but if it helps people psychologically consume fewer calories then fair enough.

That said, if you’re someone who consumes a lot of carbs and bloats pretty easily, a 24 hour fast might see you drop up to half a stone. But even then, the better, longer term solution would be to just balance your macros more effectively.

Honestly, the whole fasting thing is completely overplayed in terms of the health benefits and much of the other nonsense surrounding it.

When you realise that meat and fish for example can take up to 2 days to fully digest, meaning you’re technically not fasting, it starts the ball rolling in terms of how absurd much of the logic behind it actually is, but if it helps people psychologically consume fewer calories then fair enough.

That said, if you’re someone who consumes a lot of carbs and bloats pretty easily, a 24 hour fast might see you drop up to half a stone. But even then, the better, longer term solution would be to just balance your macros more effectively.

I think you've totally misinterpreted what the purpose of the diet is and how digestion works.

The body stops digesting after 12 hours, which means it's got 4/6 hours to work on other functions - Infections, skin repair, muscle repair, red cell blood repair, white cell blood repair, the list goes on. You're not consuming less calories at all, that's what the next 4/6 hour window is for - To eat as many calories as f***ing possible. Well known athletes such as Georges St Pierre and Michael Phelps are renowned for doing 18/6 every day and they do 10,000 calories in the 6 hour window.

Do you lose from weight from it if you stick to 2000 calories? Absolutely, the 6 hour window after the 12 hour window when it stops disgeting the body goes into the reserves such as glucose to keep running therefore you're actively losing weight even it's just 0.00001kg from that point and it adds up everytime
It might not be for everyone but I'm of the opinion that 16/8 is the holy grail of fitness at a very high level. The amount of benefits it brings, muscle repair, lactic acid repair, breaking down fatty sugars in the body being used for reserves.
There's not a single bit of truth in your post unfortunately.

Last edited:
I think you've totally misinterpreted what the purpose of the diet is and how digestion works.

The body stops digesting after 12 hours, which means it's got 4/6 hours to work on other functions - Infections, skin repair, muscle repair, red cell blood repair, white cell blood repair, the list goes on. You're not consuming less calories at all, that's what the next 4/6 hour window is for - To eat as many calories as f***ing possible. Well known athletes such as Georges St Pierre and Michael Phelps are renowned for doing 18/6 every day and they do 10,000 calories in the 6 hour window.

Do you lose from weight from it if you stick to 2000 calories? Absolutely, the 6 hour window after the 12 hour window when it stops disgeting the body goes into the reserves such as glucose to keep running therefore you're actively losing weight even it's just 0.00001kg from that point and it adds up everytime
It might not be for everyone but I'm of the opinion that 16/8 is the holy grail of fitness at a very high level. The amount of benefits it brings, muscle repair, lactic acid repair, breaking down fatty sugars in the body being used for reserves.
There's not a single bit of truth in your post unfortunately.
Okay I’ll run with this. Do you have any idea how much food 10,000 calories is?! Do you honestly think someone can consume that many calories in a couple of sittings, or even in a 4 to 6 hour window?! Do you think it’d be remotely optimal to do so? Do you genuinely think that sheer volume of calories would be fully digested by the time the next eating “window” opens? No, not a chance. So my point stands.

Your logic is lacking here, and if you disagree, go and try eating that many calories in an 4 to 6 hour window and then report back.

Okay I’ll run with this. Do you have any idea how much food 10,000 calories is?! Do you honestly think someone can consume that many calories in a couple of sittings, or even in a 4 to 6 hour window?! Do you think it’d be remotely optimal to do so? Do you genuinely think that sheer volume of calories would be fully digested by the time the next eating “window” opens? No, not a chance. So my point stands.

Your logic is lacking here, and if you disagree, go and try eating that many calories in an 4 to 6 hour window and then report back.

I'm very aware what 10,000 calories is. I'm not stupid. I've been doing this shit for a very long time now.

An average 10 inch pizza is 950 calories so it's 10 of those.

But so is also 1 pint of a protein shake, hence why the protein shake business boomed. Drinking 5 pints of a protein shake with your average 4 meals to make your 10,000 calorie goal is alot easier than 10 10 inch pizzas. How about that for logic?
It's also why the premade meal business has took off, the one in Sunderland is the biggest one on the market and they're really good as they really do delve into macros to min-max the calories you get from them.
Any protein shake with peanut butter, chocolate and yoghurt in it and carefully macro'd roast taties ya hitting 10,000 easily. Aye its on the expensive side but ya get what ya pay for innit.

Last edited:

Back