16-8 fasting?

I think out of all the diet fads and tips, fasting is really the only long term solution that will help you lose weight and give other lasting benefits rather than negatives.

The added bonus is that relatively speaking, its easier to stick to. I tend to go 24 hours at a time but if you can last longer the benefits from that time onwards, going into two to three days are fantastic.

Last edited:

I'm very aware what 10,000 calories is. I'm not stupid. I've been doing this shit for a very long time now.

An average 10 inch pizza is 950 calories so it's 10 of those.

But so is also 1 pint of a protein shake, hence why the protein shake business boomed. Drinking 5 pints of a protein shake with your average 4 meals to make your 10,000 calorie goal is alot easier than 10 10 inch pizzas. How about that for logic?
It's also why the premade meal business has took off, the one in Sunderland is the biggest one on the market and they're really good as they really do delve into macros to min-max the calories you get from them.
Any protein shake with peanut butter, chocolate and yoghurt in it and carefully macro'd roast taties ya hitting 10,000 easily. Aye its on the expensive side but ya get what ya pay for innit.
At the risk of being pedantic, it’d be 10.52 pizzas. And I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure elite athlete Michael Phelps wasn’t gorging himself on 10 pizzas. The macros in that would be terrible.

Also, when you say “protein shake” I presume you’re actually referring to weight gain formulas which are typically full of sugars and other junk to bump up the calorie count. And are a nightmare from a macros standpoint.

If you were drinking protein shakes, and I’ve just done a quick Google search here, such as Optimum Nutrition’s Vanilla Ice Cream flavour, then one 30g scoop contains 113 calories… so to get to 10,000 calories you’d have to have 88 and a half scoops a day.

To make it in anyway consumable, you’d have to have a maximum of 3 scoops for each one pint shaker, so you’d be looking at consuming 22 portions of protein shake or the equivalent of about 22 pints of protein in a 6 hour window? Yeah, sounds totally reasonable. :lol:

Calories in versus calories out works just fine.
I think out of all the diet fads and tips, fasting is really the only long term solution that will help you lose weight and give other lasting benefits rather than negatives.

The added bonus is that relatively speaking, its easier to stick to. I tend to go 24 hours at a time but if you can last longer the benefits from that time onwards, going into two to three days are fantastic.

Nope, only calories in against calories out will do that.

At the risk of being pedantic, it’d be 10.52 pizzas. And I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure elite athlete Michael Phelps wasn’t gorging himself on 10 pizzas. The macros in that would be terrible.

Also, when you say “protein shake” I presume you’re actually referring to weight gain formulas which are typically full of sugars and other junk to bump up the calorie count. And are a nightmare from a macros standpoint.

If you were drinking protein shakes, and I’ve just done a quick Google search here, such as Optimum Nutrition’s Vanilla Ice Cream flavour, then one 30g scoop contains 113 calories… so to get to 10,000 calories you’d have to have 88 and a half scoops a day.

To make it in anyway consumable, you’d have to have a maximum of 3 scoops for each one pint shaker, so you’d be looking at consuming 22 portions of protein shake or the equivalent of about 22 pints of protein in a 6 hour window? Yeah, sounds totally reasonable. :lol:

Calories in versus calories out works just fine.

Nope, only calories in against calories out will do that.
but by fasting you are not eating? Zero calories in

You obviously have to eat at some point, unless you plan on starving yourself to death. At which point, it then comes down to… calories in versus calories out.

It's not as simple as that. Fasting can help. The reason being that fasting promotes long-term improvement in carbohydrate metabolism and studies have shown that intermittent periods of not eating can have lasting therapeutic and metabolic importance .

it can enhance your in vs out

Last edited:

That's why you make your own shakes or let the professional nutritionists help you.

You're looking for the ingredients which give you the most calorie to nutrition ratio - Peanut butter, dark chocolate, Greek yoghurt and egg yolks are absolute classics, tremendous amount of calorie and fats in them, then you include the greens in them such as strawberries, blueberries etc and the healthy leafs such as spinach or green beans. Add the whey powder suddenly you end up with a 500-600 calorie drink filled with fats proteins with all the vit's except from D because D comes from the sun not food.
The only thing you're deficient of as you're skipping breakfast is Zinc as the main source of that is either cereal or seafood, if you're fasting and you hate seafood you're in trouble your literally other source is peanuts.
I do highly recommend you play with it yourself other than turn to professionals, as said before Premier Nutrition is a leader in the bespoke meal market, they're based in Pennywell Industrial estate and also 1 of the cheapest and by their price points including the Whey protein from a reputable brand you're looking at a food bill of around £360 a month for a 10,000 calorie diet.

Last edited:
The amount of people, even in elite level sports, eating 10,000 calories per day is very small. Assuming somebody was to not go mental on the fats, you're looking at around 1,750g carbs. That's enough to fuel around 6-8 hours of intense exercise daily. Additionally, with elite athletes, when they are doing more technique based drills rather than higher threshold work, their calorie burn in a relative sense is fairly low, due to their efficiency in the movements and low heart rate.

I certainly see a visible impact when fasting on my health stats at least for the duration of my fast. In my garmin my heart rate drops as does my stress level. This would certainly indicate that the body is under less stress from digestion and therefore in recovery mode.

Damned if you do…I find it easily the most effective way to shift timber. Is it worse than the risks of being overweight?

I’ll not be stopping unless there’s considerably more evidence against it (or I have a heart attack 😁).
That's the thing, you do what works for you at the time- From the link it appears that the eating window is dangerous if used continuously, no idea what one's chances of a heart attack would be but it must be lower than being overweight

That's the thing, you do what works for you at the time- From the link it appears that the eating window is dangerous if used continuously, no idea what one's chances of a heart attack would be but it must be lower than being overweight
We don't really know enough about the study to draw any firm conclusions.

What we do know isn't enough for me to bin fasting just yet.

Looking at this review of it, it seems like the conclusions are based on pre-existing data from an observational study on eating habits rather than a study about fasting.

The participants self-reported their eating on 2 days (! - how very representative) and the eating windows were calculated from that then linked to death stats.

There is no basis to conclude that the 2 days were representative, or that the participants' self-reported eating times were especially accurate given they were based on recollection rather than contemporaneous tracking, or that there was no mortality-increasing factor that caused the shortened eating window.

I can can think of at least 3 reasons for not eating much that are known to reduce lifespan: heavy drinking, heavy smoking, and cancer. Unless you can subtract those reasons and others from "the people who chose to fast as part of a healthy eating regime", there isn't much to go on.

So I will keep it under review, but I will stick to my fasting regime for now. It makes me feel much better, I look much better, and all my health metrics that I can measure have hugely improved.

We don't really know enough about the study to draw any firm conclusions.

What we do know isn't enough for me to bin fasting just yet.

Looking at this review of it, it seems like the conclusions are based on pre-existing data from an observational study on eating habits rather than a study about fasting.

The participants self-reported their eating on 2 days (! - how very representative) and the eating windows were calculated from that then linked to death stats.

There is no basis to conclude that the 2 days were representative, or that the participants' self-reported eating times were especially accurate given they were based on recollection rather than contemporaneous tracking, or that there was no mortality-increasing factor that caused the shortened eating window.

I can can think of at least 3 reasons for not eating much that are known to reduce lifespan: heavy drinking, heavy smoking, and cancer. Unless you can subtract those reasons and others from "the people who chose to fast as part of a healthy eating regime", there isn't much to go on.

So I will keep it under review, but I will stick to my fasting regime for now. It makes me feel much better, I look much better, and all my health metrics that I can measure have hugely improved.
I totally agree with you. Having fasted before and dropped plenty weight, it is obvious how well it works as a weight loss method

They’ve basically wasted 7 years of their entire career to conclude that diets should be tailored to an individuals health problems.

What they’ve basically concluded is during 8 hour window diabetics shouldn’t eat sugar. And it took them 7 years to realise it.

On the face of it, it seems like another flawed study and waste of money.

First of all, just because people ate over 8 hrs on two specific days doesnt mean they were practicing IF consistently.

If they were then how long did they practice IF? Is there any correlation between risk of cardiovascular death and duration of practicing IF?

Before getting to that, I wonder how big their IF sample size was out of the 20,000 participants? How did that sample group compare to the sample of other groups in terms of age, weight, diet, underlying health conditions etc? If it was a small size group you could easily have skewed figures. If the study did not adjust for age, weight, diet etc then the figures could be skewed.

Its possible that people were practicing IF because they were overweight and therefore at risk of cardiovascular disease in the first place which again could skew the figures.

Unfortunately, I cant see any detail in the study to determine the detail of how its been carried out.

What I will say is that unfortunately a lot of scientific studies tend to be flawed. Often because of lack of funding sample sizes or approaches are flawed. You make your name as a scientist and get funding if you find interesting results. That means scientists are desperate to find and report results. If you have lots of data it is easy to find a result to report back whether its the one you intended or not. Lots of scientific findings of research tend to be for things completely different from the intended area of study. One study found large numbers of scientists admitting falsifying results. No scientist ever wants to re-run previous research because youre not going to become famous for that so studies are often not followed up and re-tested. However, when they are, results are often not replicated.

For these reasons I tend to be somewhat sceptical of small studies especially when you hear about being asked to recall what you ate on 2 days!

Back