10 years of pop recs

Brett

Striker

Such fond memories of the first pop recs , seeing bands that really shouldn't be playing in an old shop on the High Street. Maximo Park, franz ferdinand, the cribs , ordinary boys and more.

The whole team should be so proud of what has been achieved and what pop recs is now. A great community hub as well as a good gig venue.

Dave will be looking down at us all with a pint proud as hell

Such fond memories of the first pop recs , seeing bands that really shouldn't be playing in an old shop on the High Street. Maximo Park, franz ferdinand, the cribs , ordinary boys and more.

The whole team should be so proud of what has been achieved and what pop recs is now. A great community hub as well as a good gig venue.

Fust one was on Fawcett street wasn’t it?

I'm so grateful to everyone who was behind getting this place started and who keep it running to date. It's a gem of the region.

Those first few months of it being open were the most exciting times of Sunderland's music scene in a long time. Think I ended up seeing The Cribs, Lanterns on the Lake, Life, The Crookes, Edwyn Collins, Let's Buy Happiness and a few others, most of which were free entry. Great times.

Anyone got a list of who played there during that first year? Iirc it used to be on their website.

Went to the Charlatans gig there. Stood on the couches at the back. Couldn't see a bastard thing other than the top of Tim's bleached blonde mop. Class.

I can remember a lot of unwarranted bitterness towards them when they first set up, but they've been a great addition to the social scene of the city.
This town/city man ,its like dark ages meets the here and now
i remember in my 20s standing for chips and stuff after the clubs on bridge st etc with a second hand blazer on or some docs and just getting shite off people ,"student ?" etc
30 years later and its still happening

I remember seeing The Ordinary Boys in there. I'm not into them so was a bit bored and then the singer said "ok, we're going to have a mosh pit now to this next song". That got my interest and I was looking forward to this and I saw what can only be described a morris dance 😄 😄

Have they ever delved into record production? Seems the logical next step to me - signing up and coming bands up to put out some stuff.

I'm so grateful to everyone who was behind getting this place started and who keep it running to date. It's a gem of the region.

Those first few months of it being open were the most exciting times of Sunderland's music scene in a long time. Think I ended up seeing The Cribs, Lanterns on the Lake, Life, The Crookes, Edwyn Collins, Let's Buy Happiness and a few others, most of which were free entry. Great times.

Anyone got a list of who played there during that first year? Iirc it used to be on their website.
It's absolute class like isn't it?

Seen The Charlatans at their first place for about 12 quid. Queue was down the street. Was in the current place the other week and the gig venue looks mint. Was gutted DEHD cancelled a few month back as was looking forward to my first visit. Long may it continue.

Some ridiculous shows in those days, I remember Public Service Broadcasting playing an afternoon set and then Sunderland winning at Chelsea a couple of hours later!

This was one of my favourites though, a real one-off!

Back