10 teenagers found guilty of murder in Houghton case

I'm an exile but I've got a mlf and his partner visiting us here in Spain.
It's an area of scattered rural villages which isn't wealthy.
Our guests live in High Barnes. Everywhere we've gone, even to neighbouring villages, people have said hello, knew my name, had a chat and a smile.
He shocked me by saying the overweaning impression is that I live in a community that in the main no longer exists back home.
It's unimaginable frankly for this dreadful event to have occured here and the reason I say this is that in such a tight community everyone knows each others business and if and when we do have a local lad acting up the whole village is straight on his and his father's case.
A tight knit community is the overarching social arbiter.
My thoughts with the victims family and all decent people back home.
If you're whole doctrine, your mantra is about self sufficiency and you lie and manipulate the media to peddle this to the public, don't be surprised when you have a nation of selfish (unts.

Yeah just for patrol cars I think. It certainly isn’t open to the public to report owt. Used to be a bar on the top floor. My uncle used to work there in the 80s/90s.
I remember them handing out posters and stickers of the 1992 FA Cup final team. The one end only time I've been in that police station was you collect one

Yeah just for patrol cars I think. It certainly isn’t open to the public to report owt. Used to be a bar on the top floor. My uncle used to work there in the 80s/90s.
My dad used to drink there (but wasn't a copper). I used to get parked in the adjacent lounge watching cartoons when I was a nipper.

Not sure what your point is. Do you think that crimes can't happen close to a police station?
Well the first point is that the police station is ‘manned’ but not accessible to public, can we agree on that?

Secondly as it’s a huge event for the area, why was it not policed effectively considering all the recent issues with groups:gangs

Our guests live in High Barnes. Everywhere we've gone, even to neighbouring villages, people have said hello, knew my name, had a chat and a smile.
He shocked me by saying the overweaning impression is that I live in a community that in the main no longer exists back home.
It's unimaginable frankly for this dreadful event to have occured here and the reason I say this is that in such a tight community everyone knows each others business and if and when we do have a local lad acting up the whole village is straight on his and his father's case.
Out of curiosity, what sort of population are we talking for your villages? High Barnes is now over 10k but is part of a city of almost 300k.

I lived in a couple of small places in the Highlands for 4 years and experienced similar to how your area is now. All in I had 8.5 years living/working away from home, back in Ashbrooke now and I generally find most people are still receptive to a morning/afternoon/smile.

Well the first point is that the police station is ‘manned’ but not accessible to public, can we agree on that?

Secondly as it’s a huge event for the area, why was it not policed effectively considering all the recent issues with groups:gangs
It isn't adequately manned.

I didn't go last year but there has always been a police presence when I've been before. There has still been bother every single year going back decades. The whole country isn't being adequately policed. There isn't enough police to do it.

Out of curiosity, what sort of population are we talking for your villages? High Barnes is now over 10k but is part of a city of almost 300k.

I lived in a couple of small places in the Highlands for 4 years and experienced similar to how your area is now. All in I had 8.5 years living/working away from home, back in Ashbrooke now and I generally find most people are still receptive to a morning/afternoon/smile.
Think a cheery countenance is always a winner. Villages are small around here a few hundred to tipping 5,000.
Perhaps living away for so long has left me with rose tinted glasses about how I remember Sunderland where locally at least there was a very real sense of community. There were of course troubled areas but the first house I bought in '71 was in Hendon. I had little trouble but what OP's post about there now is a mile away from my then experience.

To be fair like I walk through Barnes to take the bairn to school on a morning and over time the same people have started saying morning when we pass each other.

Started varying my route and leaving the house at different times to avoid them.

Sentencing due tomorrow. Nine of them have appealed, not sure if that will impact the sentencing and whether it still goes ahead.
Yes the sentencing will go ahead and the judge will have already decided on length of at Her Majesty's Pleasure. The appeal with affect nothing tomorrow.

bit devils advocate here and probably already determined for tomorrow, but could the judge increase sentences now on pretext there could be a chance ( albeit however small or large ) the sentences are reduced on appeal ?

Back