🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England v New Zealand 🇳🇿 2nd ODI - Ageas Bowl

Aye would not totally disagree and see your point I do.

Just think world cups only come around every 4 years and sometimes just grasp the nettle and go for it, I struggle leaving out someone with some much ability and talent in the biggest white ball competition of them all.

I worry they have been a little bit conservative and going for the safe option and definitely worried about Roy’s form all be it in shorter white ball cricket.

Fair play, I dont see picking Roy as conservative personally, I think we forget the player he is

I'd suggest they have both shown more form than Brook as an opener

i think its safe to say Brook needs a score in the next game, he has had 2 chances and hasnt taken them

Fair play, I dont see picking Roy as conservative personally, I think we forget the player he is

i think its safe to say Brook needs a score in the next game, he has had 2 chances and hasnt taken them
Maybe I am judging Roy too harshly mate as opening in last couple of years in T20 and The Hundred he hasn’t looked a player in form, quite the opposite in fact

However it’s not T20 or The Hundred it’s 50 over cricket, so perhaps it’s a floored judgement, he just doesn’t seem to have that swagger and confidence he used to have for me

I have not forgot how good a player he is or was? just not sure he that player now, hope I am wrong like

Last edited:

You’re falling into the trap of picking players based on historic form and ability, not current.

I love Roy, but he’s not been good enough for years now.

You’re falling into the trap of picking players based on historic form and ability, not current.

He's got two hundreds in his last 6 outings for England.

But you seem to think Blast and Hundred performance is relevant. If it was James Vince would be opening the batting for England.

Doubt Brook will play, Malan should be back for it.

Averages 46 this year in odi cricket with 2 hundreds. Roy was also miles better than Brook in the ipl which might be relevant for a World Cup in India

He’s been patchy like. But I think he’s a quality 50 over player still
Doubt Brook will play, Malan should be back for it.

Averages 46 this year in odi cricket with 2 hundreds. Roy was also miles better than Brook in the ipl which might be relevant for a World Cup in India

Aye fair

Brook is mint but red ball is very much where he has excelled

He hasn’t tore white ball cricket apart, he was actually a passenger in the World Cup t20 win
Maybe I am judging Roy too harshly mate as opening in last couple of years in T20 and The Hundred he hasn’t looked a player in form, quite the opposite in fact

However it’s not T20 or The Hundred it’s 50 over cricket, so perhaps it’s a floored judgement, he just doesn’t seem to have that swagger and confidence he used to have for me

I have not forgot how good a player he is or was? just not sure he that player now, hope I am wrong like

Yeah t20 he’s never been for me, he’s too rash. 50 over is perfect for him

It’s hard to judge as the last 4 years they’ve hDdly played any 50 over stuff and when they have nobody cared at all. I mean 3 of them the week after the World Cup win in Australia, nobody cared

Brook hasn’t done enough in white ball for England to show me he can’t be left out

I think it’s a discussion point I’ve been a bit surprised by the narrative being that strong.

Last edited:
He's got two hundreds in his last 6 outings for England.

But you seem to think Blast and Hundred performance is relevant. If it was James Vince would be opening the batting for England.
Why did you stop at 6, conveniently missing his 6,0,33 against Australia?

Including that at least makes it a full year which makes more sense to use as a comparison.
He averages 35 in ODI in the last year. Still decent, but I think we need to move forward from Roy, let’s just remember him in his prime for what it was.

Last edited:
He’s been patchy like. But I think he’s a quality 50 over player still

Aye fair

Brook is mint but red ball is very much where he has excelled

He hasn’t tore white ball cricket apart, he was actually a passenger in the World Cup t20 win

Yeah t20 he’s never been for me, he’s too rash. 50 over is perfect for him

It’s hard to judge as the last 4 years they’ve hDdly played any 50 over stuff and when they have nobody cared at all. I mean 3 of them the week after the World Cup win in Australia, nobody cared

Brook hasn’t done enough in white ball for England to show me he can’t be left out

I think it’s a discussion point I’ve been a bit surprised by the narrative being that strong.
He would be fine at 4, he’s just the unlucky one who’s missed out as Stokes has came back.

Including that at least makes it a full year which makes more sense to use as a comparison.

He averages 35 in ODI in the last year. Still decent, but I think we need to move forward from Roy, let’s just remember him in his prime for what it was.
If he doesn’t play then it would be Malan opening instead, that’s why it’s not a huge issue Brook not being in the squad as he wouldn’t make the best XI anyway. He will go as a reserve and if Stokes gets injured he will be called into the side

If he doesn’t play then it would be Malan opening instead, that’s why it’s not a huge issue Brook not being in the squad as he wouldn’t make the best XI anyway. He will go as a reserve and if Stokes gets injured he will be called into the side
I would be picking Crawley ahead of Malan, Brook and Roy as an opener at the minute.

Brook unfortunately hasn’t capitalised on his opportunity to force himself in, which is a shame but is what it is.

He had a shite 2022 was more to highlight he's come into better form in 2023.

Mind that Aussie series was farcical it didn't even count towards the qualification for this World Cup.

Was just stuck on after the T20 world cup win, none of them wanted to be there.

Last edited:

Back