€2m + Diakite for Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.
See where your coming from but Diakete is not a good or even half decent centre half, Alonso has proved an effective full back who is comfortable in the premier league. All about opinions though mate.

No worries. I made the original post just to point out that it wasn't as ridiculously good of a proposed deal as it originally seemed (because of the positional consideration), but still a good one. Shame we weren't able to do it as it would fill what's probably the biggest hole we have right now.

Mmmmm. Defensively I'd put him behind Bardo. But left footers are at a premium, so hey ho.

Obviously you cant have a full back that is utterly shit defensively but it is absolutely key for the way we play to have full backs that are really good footballers and contribute further up the pitch. If it sacrifices a little bit defensively then its not the end of the world.

Obviously you cant have a full back that is utterly shit defensively but it is absolutely key for the way we play to have full backs that are really good footballers and contribute further up the pitch. If it sacrifices a little bit defensively then its not the end of the world.

Part of a very solid defence at the back end of the season, its all about the unit.

Centre backs cost more than fullbacks on the open market, everything else being equal (see my reply 53 for evidence of this). Therefore it's not a good financial decision to swap a CB plus money for a fullback assuming everything else is equal (indeed, assuming equal ability, you'd expect exactly the reverse - money plus FB for CB). Here, everything else is NOT equal: Alonso is a much better player than Diakite, so it's the rare case where swapping a CB plus money for a FB would make sense.

Don't know why this thread is back after a few weeks, but there's your answer.

But the CB is shite and the FB good

I actually think Diakite could be a competent CB in the right system. Coped fairly well in physical battles with Lukaku and Benteke, shame he can't pass a ball.

Alonso is vital to the way we want to play going forward, he's a bit suspect going forward but 2 million + a CB not in Poyets plans would be a good deal.

I actually think Diakite could be a competent CB in the right system. Coped fairly well in physical battles with Lukaku and Benteke, shame he can't pass a ball.

Alonso is vital to the way we want to play going forward, he's a bit suspect going forward but 2 million + a CB not in Poyets plans would be a good deal.
He's already a competent centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back