“Have you got the right time please?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough I was asked the time last night by someone when we got off the train together. Genuinely surprised me. :lol: She was only about 23 as well.
:lol:
23... that explains it. Probably used up all her battery life posting pictures on instaface or whatever...

Thing is, you could only get decent gear through there if you were into the stuff that we were into so it was like a military mission every week getting in and out of Newcastle.
:lol:
:lol:Aye it was like. I found myself an expert at doing risk assessments at work a breeze after years of doing this training.:lol:

Used to hear this all the time growing up in the eighties. Those saying they’ve never heard it are all either under 28 years old or lying.

Yeah, used to hear this a lot. As well as people looking at clocks (in a library) and saying 'Is that the right time?' I think it harks back to the days when watches/clocks weren't so reliable. Council clocks never were. So an answer could have been 'Well my watch says half three, but it's possibly a bit slow'. I'm guessing the person asking this is older? :lol:
Don't say half three man woman man, @alexander will think you mean two thirty!

Reminds me of years ago at away matches when someone would clock you and ask you that to find out your accent... :confused:
I was once asked outside RP when we were playing Shef weds at home.
Luckily I answered as if my dad had of answered in his broad Yorkshire accent we may have been filled in

Yeah, used to hear this a lot. As well as people looking at clocks (in a library) and saying 'Is that the right time?' I think it harks back to the days when watches/clocks weren't so reliable. Council clocks never were. So an answer could have been 'Well my watch says half three, but it's possibly a bit slow'. I'm guessing the person asking this is older? :lol:

as how I recall it.

If you didn't have a watch and would estimate the time and you needed to establish the correct time for whatever reason

Why do people say that? Why not just “have you got the time?”

Was there a time when pranksters going around deliberately telling people the wrong time ? So now everyone is paranoid and needs to specify the ‘right time’
Normally some dickhead trying to show you his new expensive watch mate.

Few years ago I was walking through Tooting Common, London, one morning and a lass walked past and said.. "You got the time mate?", I said "Aye, just gone half 8 love", She went.. "No, do you want a good time?". :cool:

I said nor. :cry:

This.
I was asked this yonks ago by a lass. I just said no, but later realised what she meant. She looked a bit hard like.

Love a 70s throw back thread
everyone has the time now on their phone
The "right" bit usually suggested you had a rough idea but needed a more precise time

Someone pulling over in a car and asking for directions if a loss as well.
With satnavs these days it's just not needed.

I used to drive all over the country and my usual method would be to drive to the town, stop at a petrol station and ask where the address was.
Worked everytime and not a satnav in sight.

Saying that my mate had 2 chinese students knock on his door last year. They'd asked for directions in town for The Precinct (at the Royalty) and they'd been directed to Tunstall. So they arrived on foot, knackered towing 4 cases and sports bags. My mate took pity on them and drove them back down in his van :)

Got stopped by someone a few weeks ago,

"Have you got the time there mate".

"Aye, just gone two o'clock"

"Thanks. Have you got a spare pound too mate so I can get a cup of coffee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back