“Buddha changed the question...”

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right you are. I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

And the question is: are you ever dead? When were you born? That’s when you would say you’re ‘alive’ ... or was it 9 months earlier.. at conception... or were there elements of you that existed in your parents before conception.... ad infinitum? And that principle is fed forward in the same way.

I think the Buddhist belief is that, eventually, those bits of you that are returned to the matter of the universe when the corporeal you is returned to it will coalesce and you will reborn as a new corporeal entity. Hence eternal life. ‘Awareness’ and consciousness of the ‘soul’ that is present throughout all this is the nirvana we seek.

And if you don’t agree with this and think it’s just scare tactics I apologise - I’m not so much explaining the concepts that the great Buddha espoused 2500 years ago as making the whole thing up off the top of my head. If I got it right it was purely accidental :)

From the Diamond Sutra:

At that time the Venerable Subhuti came to that assembly, sat down...and said to the Lord:.... O Lord, how much the Bodhisattvas, the great beings, have been favoured with the highest favour by the Tathagata, the Arhat, the Fully Enlightened One. How then, O Lord, should a son or daughter of good family, who have set out in the Bodhisattva-vehicle, stand, how progress, how control their thoughts?

The Lord said: Here, Subhuti, someone who has set out in the vehicle of a Bodhisattva should produce a thought in this manner: 'As many beings as there are in the universe of beings, comprehended under the term "beings" egg-born, born from a womb, moisture-born, or miraculously born; with or without form; with perception, without perception, and with neither perception nor non-perception, as far as any conceivable form of beings is conceived: all these I must lead to Nirvana, into that Realm of Nirvana which leaves nothing behind. And yet, although innumerable beings have thus been led to Nirvana, no being at all has been led to Nirvana.' And why? If in a Bodhisattva the notion of a 'being' should take place, he could not be called a 'Bodhi being'. 'And why? He is not to be called a Bodhi-being, in whom the notion of a self or of a being should take place, or the notion of a living soul or of a person.'

I'm not sure Buddha was that original in posing such a question. He took the Four Meditations of Form of the Jains and added to them by adopting a different perspective that resulted in the Four Meditations of the Formless. The last of the Jain great Masters at the time of Buddha was Mahavira and Buddha may have initially been a devotee of Mahavira. The Jains certainly practised an extreme form of asceticism which may be what Buddha rejected for the Middle Way. Both Jains and early Buddhists called themselves Shramanas. The Shramana were older than both and probably pre-dated theism in the form of Brahmanism. The Four Meditations of Form probably originated with the Shramana and most of the concepts of later Hinduism/Buddhism came from the Shramana who were wandering holy men.

Last edited:

From the Diamond Sutra:

At that time the Venerable Subhuti came to that assembly, sat down...and said to the Lord:.... O Lord, how much the Bodhisattvas, the great beings, have been favoured with the highest favour by the Tathagata, the Arhat, the Fully Enlightened One. How then, O Lord, should a son or daughter of good family, who have set out in the Bodhisattva-vehicle, stand, how progress, how control their thoughts?

The Lord said: Here, Subhuti, someone who has set out in the vehicle of a Bodhisattva should produce a thought in this manner: 'As many beings as there are in the universe of beings, comprehended under the term "beings" egg-born, born from a womb, moisture-born, or miraculously born; with or without form; with perception, without perception, and with neither perception nor non-perception, as far as any conceivable form of beings is conceived: all these I must lead to Nirvana, into that Realm of Nirvana which leaves nothing behind. And yet, although innumerable beings have thus been led to Nirvana, no being at all has been led to Nirvana.' And why? If in a Bodhisattva the notion of a 'being' should take place, he could not be called a 'Bodhi being'. 'And why? He is not to be called a Bodhi-being, in whom the notion of a self or of a being should take place, or the notion of a living soul or of a person.'

I'm not sure Buddha was that original in posing such a question. He took the Four Meditations of Form of the Jains and added to them by adopting a different perspective that resulted in the Four Meditations of the Formless. The last of the Jain great Masters at the time of Buddha was Mahavira and Buddha may have initially been a devotee of Mahavira. The Jains certainly practised an extreme form of asceticism which may be what Buddha rejected for the Middle Way. Both Jains and early Buddhists called themselves Shramanas. The Shramana were older than both and probably pre-dated theism in the form of Brahmanism. The Four Meditations of Form probably originated with the Shramana and most of the concepts of later Hinduism/Buddhism came from the Shramana who were wandering holy men.

Same as what I said then?

And the question is: are you ever dead? When were you born? That’s when you would say you’re ‘alive’ ... or was it 9 months earlier.. at conception... or were there elements of you that existed in your parents before conception.... ad infinitum? And that principle is fed forward in the same way.

I think the Buddhist belief is that, eventually, those bits of you that are returned to the matter of the universe when the corporeal you is returned to it will coalesce and you will reborn as a new corporeal entity. Hence eternal life. ‘Awareness’ and consciousness of the ‘soul’ that is present throughout all this is the nirvana we seek.

The default state of a human is not existing. The relatively tiny period of time of being alive is merely an abnormal blip before we return to our natural state of being dead.

Buddha was not actually fat. The "fat Buddha" are actually representations of another Chinese monk, not of Buddha.

He starved himself for years iirc. Then when he realised that being peckish wasn’t the path to enlightenment he had a slice of pizza with all the toppings. Yes; one with everything. Fnar fnar

Same as what I said then?

I'm not sure that it is. The concept of reincarnation in Buddhism is not a transmigration of souls which is what it is in Hinduism. There is no concept of an entity, being, soul, self or person in Buddhism.

You said:

I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

I'm not saying what you say above is not right but again from the Diamond Sutra:

Moreover, Subhuti, a Bodhisattva who gives a gift should not be supported by a thing, nor should he be supported anywhere. When he gives gifts he should not be supported by sight objects, nor by sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind-objects. For, Subhuti, the Bodhisattva, the great being should give gifts in such a way that he is not supported by the notion of a sign. And why? Because the heap of merit of that Bodhi-being, who unsupported gives a gift, is not easy to measure. What do you think, Subhuti, is the extent of space in the East easy to measure? Subhuti replied: No indeed, O Lord. The Lord asked: In like manner, is it easy to measure the extent of space in the South, West or North, downwards, upwards, in the intermediate directions, in all the ten directions all round? Subhuti replied: No indeed, O Lord. The Lord said: Even so the heap of merit of that Bodhibeing who unsupported gives a gift is not easy to measure. That is why, Subhuti, those who have set out in the Bodhisattva vehicle, should give gifts without being supported by the notion of a sign.

It took me long time to come to terms with this section of the Diamond Sutra. How it compared to the Golden Rule and compassion, even the concept of karma. However, I think it teaches us to remain detached and not expect any reward or good karma in return. To be kind for the sake of kindness and to remain detached and free from concepts about giver and gift, and the recipient of the gift.

PS: There is a later section in the Diamond Sutra that may help to clarify this perspective:

Therefore then, Subhuti, the Bodhi-being, the great being, after he has got rid of all perceptions, should raise his thought to the utmost, right and perfect enlightenment. He should produce a thought which is unsupported by forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind objects, unsupported by dharma, unsupported by no-dharma, unsupported by anything. And why? All supports have actually no support. It is for this reason that the Tathagata teaches: By an unsupported Bodhisattva should a gift be given, not by one who is supported by forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind-objects.

I think this basically means to rise beyond all perceptions/concepts which have no inherent substance and surrender to emptiness. Then when free of all conceptualisations should a gift be given.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that it is. The concept of reincarnation in Buddhism is not a transmigration of souls which is what it is in Hinduism. There is no concept of an entity, being, soul, self or person in Buddhism.

You said:

I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

I'm not saying what you say above is not right but again from the Diamond Sutra:

Moreover, Subhuti, a Bodhisattva who gives a gift should not be supported by a thing, nor should he be supported anywhere. When he gives gifts he should not be supported by sight objects, nor by sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind-objects. For, Subhuti, the Bodhisattva, the great being should give gifts in such a way that he is not supported by the notion of a sign. And why? Because the heap of merit of that Bodhi-being, who unsupported gives a gift, is not easy to measure. What do you think, Subhuti, is the extent of space in the East easy to measure? Subhuti replied: No indeed, O Lord. The Lord asked: In like manner, is it easy to measure the extent of space in the South, West or North, downwards, upwards, in the intermediate directions, in all the ten directions all round? Subhuti replied: No indeed, O Lord. The Lord said: Even so the heap of merit of that Bodhibeing who unsupported gives a gift is not easy to measure. That is why, Subhuti, those who have set out in the Bodhisattva vehicle, should give gifts without being supported by the notion of a sign.

It took me long time to come to terms with this section of the Diamond Sutra. How it compared to the Golden Rule and compassion, even the concept of karma. However, I think it teaches us to remain detached and not expect any reward or good karma in return. To be kind for the sake of kindness and to remain detached and free from concepts about giver and gift, and the recipient of the gift.

PS: There is a later section in the Diamond Sutra that may help to clarify this perspective:

Therefore then, Subhuti, the Bodhi-being, the great being, after he has got rid of all perceptions, should raise his thought to the utmost, right and perfect enlightenment. He should produce a thought which is unsupported by forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind objects, unsupported by dharma, unsupported by no-dharma, unsupported by anything. And why? All supports have actually no support. It is for this reason that the Tathagata teaches: By an unsupported Bodhisattva should a gift be given, not by one who is supported by forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables, or mind-objects.

I think this basically means to rise beyond all perceptions/concepts which have no inherent substance and surrender to emptiness. Then when free of all conceptualisations should a gift be given.

I said almost those exact words to a bloke in the pub the other night.

He starved himself for years iirc. Then when he realised that being peckish wasn’t the path to enlightenment he had a slice of pizza with all the toppings. Yes; one with everything. Fnar fnar

Made himself fat so women wouldn't want to climb on is the actual crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back