“Buddha changed the question...”

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date

Right you are. I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

And the question is: are you ever dead? When were you born? That’s when you would say you’re ‘alive’ ... or was it 9 months earlier.. at conception... or were there elements of you that existed in your parents before conception.... ad infinitum? And that principle is fed forward in the same way.

I think the Buddhist belief is that, eventually, those bits of you that are returned to the matter of the universe when the corporeal you is returned to it will coalesce and you will reborn as a new corporeal entity. Hence eternal life. ‘Awareness’ and consciousness of the ‘soul’ that is present throughout all this is the nirvana we seek.

And if you don’t agree with this and think it’s just scare tactics I apologise - I’m not so much explaining the concepts that the great Buddha espoused 2500 years ago as making the whole thing up off the top of my head. If I got it right it was purely accidental :)
:cool:

That's not what the West did in Iran or Iraq or Afghanistan

What isn't what the West did?

I wasn't talking about butchering people now was I? I was specifically talking about conversion and the imposition of what the West believes is the template of a modern state.

You said "resulting in death". I know the west tries to impose its template on the rest of the world but I am buggered if I see what the East has to offer besides shaving your bonce and wearing an orange toga.

There was no effort to bring democracy to the middle-east... is that what you're trying to tell me? Pull the other one.

In Iran they conspired to remove the most democratic goverment the country ever had and succeeded. Iraq and Afghanistan was left in the hands of religious fundamentals. You couldn't get much farther away from the West's template of modern state. Unless I misunderstand the term?

Can you give me an example of an Eastern country which is run successfully using your idea of "philosophy", also using your template of the last 5 decades ?

Have you done more than use your eyes to conclude the only thing Eastern philosophy can offer you is to shave your head and wear an orange toga?

In Iran they conspired to remove the most democratic goverment the country ever had and succeeded. Iraq and Afghanistan was left in the hands of religious fundamentals. You couldn't get much farther away from the West's template of modern state. Unless I misunderstand the term?
There's a vast wealth of material out there if you wish to challenge your view, I don't and you can keep it for all I care. I've no desire to prove you wrong or right.

Can you answer my previous question ?
Why should I when you can't answer the simple one I put to you? Have you done more than use your eyes to conclude the only thing Eastern philosophy can offer you is to shave your head and wear an orange toga or are you really this judgemental? Can I is a different question to will I. No I will not.

There's a vast wealth of material out there if you wish to challenge your view, I don't and you can keep it for all I care. I've no desire to prove you wrong or right.

Why should I when you can't answer the simple one I put to you? Have you done more than use your eyes to conclude the only thing Eastern philosophy can offer you is to shave your head and wear an orange toga or are you really this judgemental?

So the conversation has stalled. I have agreed that the West tries to impose its system on the rest of the world and then invited you to give me an example of an application of your idea of a "successful" system based on, for example , buddhism. You can't or won't do that, so it is pointless to reply to you.

So the conversation has stalled. I have agreed that the West tries to impose its system on the rest of the world and then invited you to give me an example of an application of your idea of a "successful" system based on, for example , buddhism. You can't or won't do that, so it is pointless to reply to you.
No. You've answered a question with a question because you realise how stupid you sound in saying "I am buggered if I see what the East has to offer besides shaving your bonce and wearing an orange toga."

The conversation was probably done here, I just wanted to question what had led you to believe the above. You must have realised the stupidity of your remark because your attempted deflection is obvious.

Right you are. I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

And the question is: are you ever dead? When were you born? That’s when you would say you’re ‘alive’ ... or was it 9 months earlier.. at conception... or were there elements of you that existed in your parents before conception.... ad infinitum? And that principle is fed forward in the same way.

I think the Buddhist belief is that, eventually, those bits of you that are returned to the matter of the universe when the corporeal you is returned to it will coalesce and you will reborn as a new corporeal entity. Hence eternal life. ‘Awareness’ and consciousness of the ‘soul’ that is present throughout all this is the nirvana we seek.

And if you don’t agree with this and think it’s just scare tactics I apologise - I’m not so much explaining the concepts that the great Buddha espoused 2500 years ago as making the whole thing up off the top of my head. If I got it right it was purely accidental :)
That’s the thing like all religions it can’t be proved wrong in its beliefs.
Even presented with the true beginnings of life through science there are some religions that incorporate this or twist it to fit an agenda.
Buddhism seems to be very open ended in that it covers most objective views, that in itself seems contradictory.
The fact that they use violence in self defence but refuse to pick up arms to defend themselves is very “once again contradictory”.

My personal view is religion was used to protect territory (if you don’t learn how to fight the bad man will get you)

Was this thread prompted by my suggestion yesterday of using the Hari Krishna chant for Bali Mumba?

I wasn’t aware of your suggestion but that doesn’t mean that the universe hasn’t created the connection by cosmic osmotic vibratory neuro-biogenesis

If you only have love for your own race, then you only leave space to discriminate and to discriminate only generates hate, and if you hate then you're bound to get irate.

Back