“Buddha changed the question...”

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

...from ‘is there a God?’ to ‘how should we behave; whether there’s a God or not?’”

I just heard that on an old documentary about ancient philosophers.

It resonated.

Just thought I’d share so everyone can challenge that he existed, what his actual teachings were, whether he said that, if he meant it, how it could be reinterpreted, whether it’s relevant, how religion has caused immeasurable suffering, how religion has enlightened and enables great achievement, how everything in the Christian bible is a fairy story, the difference between religion and faith, the connection between philosophy and religion, Darwinism versus creationism, Catholic priest paedophilia, muslimic Ray guns, Islam is a violent religion and Cliff Richard singing with a Van Morrison.

To which, from now on, I shall quote the bloke (Amartya Senn - Nobel winning fella) who commented on how Buddha apparently changed the question.

The answer perhaps lies in asking the right question.

Or a meringue?

I'd say this question led to Existentialism.

...from ‘is there a God?’ to ‘how should we behave; whether there’s a God or not?’”

It resonated.

Just thought I’d share so everyone can challenge that he existed, what his actual teachings were, whether he said that, if he meant it, how it could be reinterpreted, whether it’s relevant, how religion has caused immeasurable suffering, how religion has enlightened and enables great achievement, how everything in the Christian bible is a fairy story, the difference between religion and faith, the connection between philosophy and religion, Darwinism versus creationism, Catholic priest paedophilia, muslimic Ray guns, Islam is a violent religion and Cliff Richard singing with a Van Morrison.

To which, from now on, I shall quote the bloke (Amartya Senn - Nobel winning fella) who commented on how Buddha apparently changed the question.

Or a meringue?
that would be an ecumenical matter

Logon or register to see this image

It resonated.

Or a meringue?

None of it matters.

It resonated.

Or a meringue?

East vs West. If only the West could adopt the East's philosophy maybe they wouldn't be trying to convert the world to their way of thinking resulting in death.

Scare tactics I reckon.

I treat people the way they treat me.
I try and help the unfortunate.

Once ya dead ya dead.

In the last 5 decades who has been the lead instigator of conflict in trying to impose their template of the modern state? Just a simple East or West will do.

In the last 5 decades it has been the West I would say. But philosophy doesn't seem to stop Eastern countries butchering people with the same glee as the West.

In the last 5 decades it has been the West I would say. But philosophy doesn't seem to stop Eastern countries butchering people with the same glee as the West.

I wasn't talking about butchering people now was I? I was specifically talking about conversion and the imposition of what the West believes is the template of a modern state.

Scare tactics I reckon.

I treat people the way they treat me.
I try and help the unfortunate.

Once ya dead ya dead.

Right you are. I think the Buddhist approach would differ subtly in that I’d imagine the proposition would be to treat others in the way they would like to be treated. If that results in being treated well yourself ...or in some enlightenment, then it all leads to a positive experience of life.

And the question is: are you ever dead? When were you born? That’s when you would say you’re ‘alive’ ... or was it 9 months earlier.. at conception... or were there elements of you that existed in your parents before conception.... ad infinitum? And that principle is fed forward in the same way.

I think the Buddhist belief is that, eventually, those bits of you that are returned to the matter of the universe when the corporeal you is returned to it will coalesce and you will reborn as a new corporeal entity. Hence eternal life. ‘Awareness’ and consciousness of the ‘soul’ that is present throughout all this is the nirvana we seek.

And if you don’t agree with this and think it’s just scare tactics I apologise - I’m not so much explaining the concepts that the great Buddha espoused 2500 years ago as making the whole thing up off the top of my head. If I got it right it was purely accidental :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back