£9.4 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvellous

Quite.

:confused:

I get the soap box out when it comes to the railways, having to use them every day to get to work.

The system has been run down for years and years and the selling off of station car parks to private operators and the lack of trains between places do nowt to get folk off the roads.

Would you be happier if the country went to shit, even more than it is now? What about if the money was going to be spent in your area, would you agree with it then, citing it as some great saviour of the north east?? We are not just talking about ten minutes saving are we, it's a lot more than that.

Electrifying the central train line and you may cut 10 minutes off the journey between Sheffield and London.
Well worth it.

It's not being done to save time though is it?
It's cheaper to run trains on electricity than diesel, it creates less pollution and electric trains are lighter than diesels so they cause less damage to the tracks.
It's an investment now to save money in the long term.

Would you be happier if the country went to shit, even more than it is now? What about if the money was going to be spent in your area, would you agree with it then, citing it as some great saviour of the north east?? We are not just talking about ten minutes saving are we, it's a lot more than that.

More ifs and buts.
The very fact that the money is not getting spent up here strengthens what I reckon, the North will NOT benefit from this.

Bolded words suggest an ideal. The North will not improve due to this rail improvement in my opinion.

Why won't the north benefit? They're improving the East Coast mainline, from newcastle down to leads and then south.

If the government sit back and do fuck all, they get stick, if they do something, they get stick.

If you think you can do the job better, why don't you because an MP or something instead of twisting on on here achieving fuck all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolded words suggest an ideal. The North will not improve due to this rail improvement in my opinion.

Not much I can do about a contract not having been signed yet. Companies have to bid for them.

As for my first point, if you want to argue with my first point then you're basically rejecting one of the most basic argument in economics.

Whether or not you think it would be value for money, that's an argument for another day. But there's not much a government can do today about a project that will finish in a decade's time. They have to put the building blocks in place for the economy to thrive and they will employ thousands of people in the mean time. It's called foresight, just drop your cynicism for a second and think about it.

Money needs investing in the rail network nationwide.

It's not being done to save time though is it?
It's cheaper to run trains on electricity than diesel, it creates less pollution and electric trains are lighter than diesels so they cause less damage to the tracks.
It's an investment now to save money in the long term.

Electricity is only as green as the fuel use to create it.
Less track damage mean less work for manual workers.

Money needs investing in the rail network nationwide.

Bingo

Not much I can do about a contract not having been signed yet. Companies have to bid for them.

As for my first point, if you want to argue with my first point then you're basically rejecting one of the most basic argument in economics.

Whether or not you think it would be value for money, that's an argument for another day. But there's not much a government can do today about a project that will finish in a decade's time. They have to put the building blocks in place for the economy to thrive and they will employ thousands of people in the mean time. It's called foresight, just drop your cynicism for a second and think about it.

No.
I will have my opinion, you can have yours. Neither of us are likely to be shifted from it either.

More ifs and buts.
The very fact that the money is not getting spent up here strengthens what I reckon, the North will NOT benefit from this.

Why does it matter who directly benefits, as long as the country as a whole benefits. Fuck me, you've picked a bad year for getting defensive over your little plot.

Olympics, well, they can fuck off - Queen's Jubilee, what a cow for living in the South!

I am sure the people whose lives it impacts because of a geographical proximation will be more than made up by the news to counter your disappointment.

Why does it matter who directly benefits, as long as the country as a whole benefits. Fuck me, you've picked a bad year for getting defensive over your little plot.

Olympics, well, they can fuck off - Queen's Jubilee, what a cow for living in the South!

I am sure the people whose lives it impacts because of a geographical proximation will be more than made up by the news to counter your disappointment.

Strange how two of the loudest people on this thread live where the money will be spent.

Electricity is only as green as the fuel use to create it.
Less track damage mean less work for manual workers.

Bingo

Wind power and solar cost nowt and you don't get much greener, nuclear is also very clean these days.
Most of the tracks are checked by machines and computers.

Are you living in the 1970's and it's Bongo ;)

But the tickets are going up.

Yes, but they're not going up to a point where people can't afford to travel by train.

You complain it's a waste of money, and then confirm ticket prices are going up to pay for it, so does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back