£500 voucher for retail and hospitality

Status
Not open for further replies.

The resolution foundation thought up the idea but the news has made it appear like it's a real government thing. I would be very surprised if people get £500.

Actually mate I think it was an Australian economist who had the original idea back in 2008, rather than quantative easing where the banks got the money to prop there balance sheets up. Can't recall the blokes name, got laughed out of town but now it's widely accepted as a much better stimulus.

Actually mate I think it was an Australian economist who had the original idea back in 2008, rather than quantative easing where the banks got the money to prop there balance sheets up. Can't recall the blokes name, got laughed out of town but now it's widely accepted as a much better stimulus.

No I meant that they suggested the idea of the £500 to the media not that they were the first ones ever to think of it.

Steve Keen

Don't understand why we just don't do a universal credit payment
As lots of folk will keep the money and not spend it.
A UBI is the future though.
If it has happening, Rishi will anounce it later today as part of the measures to boost the economy. More likely to be a VAT cut for the hospitality sector though.
Not happening.
Vat cut for that sector to 5% and a discount on eating out in August on a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday for 50% off a bill up to a tenner PP

No stamp duty on houses under 500k will really help that market.

Wonder if Barratt had a hand in this with their repayment of the furlough money...

Last edited:

Not happening.
Vat cut for that sector to 5% and a discount on eating out in August on a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday for 50% off a bill up to a tenner PP

Wonder if Barratt had a hand in this with their repayment of the furlough money...
The VAT cut for the hospitality sector makes a lot of sense but I didn’t expect it to go so low. I look forward to seeing where you can spend the food vouchers as I think that it will be quite restrictive.

The VAT cut for the hospitality sector makes a lot of sense but I didn’t expect it to go so low. I look forward to seeing where you can spend the food vouchers as I think that it will be quite restrictive.
You were right in what you thought though!
I was hoping for the cash to spend.
I'm doubtful on the success of the 50% off scheme. Lots of places do those sorts of discounts on Monday-wed anyway.

Not happening.

So can someone explain this vat cut. Are they expected to charge less and pay less vat or will the prices stay the same but the business gets more of the cash?

5% cut in VAT announced instead.
So can someone explain this vat cut. Are they expected to charge less and pay less vat or will the prices stay the same but the business gets more of the cash?
I think that's exactly what we can expect to see.

The idea will be that there’ll be price cuts to help consumers but in reality the businesses will keep it and prices won’t go down at all imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back