£16 for a can of lager 🤦🏻‍♂️

I really enjoy strong beers, especially darks, and find they often get better towards the end as they warm up a bit. Not the same with pales, I often struggle with really strong IPAs.

I agree with the rest of the post, same goes for food as well, the price increase isn’t linear with the quality. Nice to enjoy once in a while tho.
One day I'll learn the proper terms for beers. Pretty much since I was pub age, I've always gone for real ales and my first port of call in a new pub is to go for the beer I've never heard of. I think it is the beers described as hoppy which have that tart after taste that I quickly get tired of, and the stronger ones tend to be more hoppy.

I do like it when you get into a cosy pub on a cold day, get a spot by the fire and have a dark ale which I think are the more malty ones.

I love my ales, go to beer festivals but just don't have the nerd lingo. "That's canny", "Don't like that one" is as far as I can go.
Err nope. He wore a mask. Keyweds or whatever you call him knows nowt.

@girojim When it comes to historical evidence, you have to admit he has you there.

I really enjoy strong beers, especially darks, and find they often get better towards the end as they warm up a bit. Not the same with pales, I often struggle with really strong IPAs.

I agree with the rest of the post, same goes for food as well, the price increase isn’t linear with the quality. Nice to enjoy once in a while tho.
Stouts should be served at room temperature from the start. Take a can put of the fridge at least an hour before you want to drink it.

I£16 for a beer??? I'll be sticking with my Carling fizzy p*ss thanks.
Exactly mate. I’ll stick to wine. You don’t mind paying more for wine as there’s a skill involved. This is just wheat and water with some dark sugar put in.
Did he thought?
Obviously yes.
Stouts should be served at room temperature from the start. Take a can put of the fridge at least an hour before you want to drink it.
If ever I have a stout I have it ice cold

I’m not sure id fancy a stout that was 21 degrees at the start…definitely wouldn’t serve most dark beers at fridge temp but I’d say between 12-15c is about right for me. I also think part of the enjoyment is to see how the flavour changes as the beer warms…but I’m a bit of a twat.
Exactly mate. I’ll stick to wine. You don’t mind paying more for wine as there’s a skill involved. This is just wheat and water with some dark sugar put in.

Malted barley not wheat in most cases mind.

Last edited:
I’m not sure id fancy a stout that was 21 degrees at the start…definitely wouldn’t serve most dark beers at fridge temp but I’d say between 12-15c is about right for me. I also think part of the enjoyment is to see how the flavour changes as the beer warms…but I’m a bit of a twat.

Malted barley not wheat in most cases mind.
Barley, wheat, same thing. Still not hard when compared to wine. Beer is beer. This will be the same as Guinness with a bit more dark mixed in or something

Barley, wheat, same thing. Still not hard when compared to wine. Beer is beer. This will be the same as Guinness with a bit more dark mixed in or something
I know you’re being deliberately contrary but it could easily be argued that more skill is required to make beer. There are more ingredients and more processes involved than in wine making.

I know you’re being deliberately contrary but it could easily be argued that more skill is required to make beer. There are more ingredients and more processes involved than in wine making.
Aye but there’s a huge amount dependent on soil, crop, when to pick, how long to leave skins for tannins etc. Wine making is much more difficult and time consuming hence the price of wine.

Aye but there’s a huge amount dependent on soil, crop, when to pick, how long to leave skins for tannins etc. Wine making is much more difficult and time consuming hence the price of wine.
Fair point but with beer you need to do the same with the barley then it needs to germinated then kilned to different degrees then you need to combine those malts at different ratios with water which has probably been chemically treated depending on the beer style. Then you’ve got to boil to concentrate the sugars to get the desired abv, adding different types of hops at different stages of the boil to get the desired bitterness and flavour profiles. Then you’ve got to pick the right yeast (or let us naturally ferment like a lot of wines do), maybe add more hops during or after fermentation and then mature the beer for a while before carbonating, packaging and selling.

Wine does generally take longer but certain styles of beers take years, a gueuze for example would typically take 3 years. Loads of beers are barrel aged for a long time as well, we’ve just put one of that had 12 months in a barrel and then was transferred to another barrel for a further 6 months. 12% as well so might as well be wine!

I don’t know why I bothered writing all that out. :lol:

Fair point but with beer you need to do the same with the barley then it needs to germinated then kilned to different degrees then you need to combine those malts at different ratios with water which has probably been chemically treated depending on the beer style. Then you’ve got to boil to concentrate the sugars to get the desired abv, adding different types of hops at different stages of the boil to get the desired bitterness and flavour profiles. Then you’ve got to pick the right yeast (or let us naturally ferment like a lot of wines do), maybe add more hops during or after fermentation and then mature the beer for a while before carbonating, packaging and selling.

Wine does generally take longer but certain styles of beers take years, a gueuze for example would typically take 3 years. Loads of beers are barrel aged for a long time as well, we’ve just put one of that had 12 months in a barrel and then was transferred to another barrel for a further 6 months. 12% as well so might as well be wine!

I don’t know why I bothered writing all that out. :lol:
Cos it is interesting, you made some good points, I read it and you told me a few things I didn’t know.

I’ve seen beers which cost a few quid, they look the part and they’re about the size of a bottle of wine. These look like stubby little ones and there’s no explanation as to why they’re so expensive. Would you buy one?
Anar. I’ve got a load of vocation in and that’s about 7%. I thought that was scary

Last edited:
Cos it is interesting, you made some good points, I read it and you told me a few things I didn’t know.

I’ve seen beers which cost a few quid, they look the part and they’re about the size of a bottle of wine. These look like stubby little ones and there’s no explanation as to why they’re so expensive. Would you buy one?

Anar. I’ve got a load of vocation in and that’s about 7%. I thought that was scary
Nah, I wouldn’t buy the Omnipollo. I think it’s over priced. :lol: As it happens I’ve got an imperial stout that I’ll be having tonight that was a similar price but a) I was pissed when I bought it and b) it’s a 500ml bottle imported from America. It’s also barrel aged and made by one of the best breweries in the world (Finback) so even if it won’t be worth what I paid for it it should still be very nice.

The 12%er we’ve just put on is a Vocation, bargain at £6.40 a pint.

Back