Wrexham fan banned for " racist abuse "

For context if an English fan shouts “ dirty Welsh b*****d” I’m pretty certain the Welsh are complaining. Not saying it’s right but it works both ways. On a personal and professional level I have experience of this actually happening at work.

Wrexham have McClean playing for them who would absolutely want police to get involved if the shoe was on the other foot.

Glad they have thrown the book at the fan. I'm sure he'll be able to watch all the games on the disney channel

I’d imagine the Hollywood machine wouldn’t be long clearing out if they were playing Bala Town, The New Saints and Connahs Quay on a weekly basis. I’d imagine half their fan base wouldn’t be long following them either if so 😄

Eejits like that are best just ignored ffs. I do wonder how much influence the profile of their owners had in this decision mind you? Wouldn’t imagine they’d want to be seen ignoring the like of this in the media were it to be run?
Just some random tosser. All clubs had them 😉

I'm not sure how that's racist, as being English is not a race. It's xenophobia at worst, and even then it's about as low on the scale as you can get.

Weird one as I cant think anyone would get this treatment if shouting the equivalent to a load of french supporters, or Swedish, Croatian etc etc but if shouting at German Indian, Pakistani, African then poss different .

Think it may have been because he had completely lost the plot the dirty Welsh bastard :)

Is calling someone black derogatory? Is there something wrong with being black?

No. Of course not.
Because people use black has a derogatory term as if they are lesser. It isn't used for the purpose of being a description. There is also a history of being persecuted for being black. There's been little persecution for being English and that's a nationality not race

I reckon the legislation that exists that allowed the fella to be charged only came about cos the [redacted] twisted so much about being called "sheep-shagging bastards" so the authorities felt compelled to do something. Now they want to act surprised and outraged when they find out that charges can go both ways?

Because people use black has a derogatory term as if they are lesser. It isn't used for the purpose of being a description. There is also a history of being persecuted for being black. There's been little persecution for being English and that's a nationality not race
Why do you think they used English in this case? Not in a derogatory way you think?
Is it ok to use black bastard if the person is black and a bastard and you don't think black people are lesser?

Why do you think they used English in this case? Not in a derogatory way you think?
Is it ok to use black bastard if the person is black and a bastard and you don't think black people are lesser?

It may be derogatory, but that doesn't make it racist. While both phrases are undoubtedly offensive, "black bastard" is racist because it carries with it a history of racial prejudice, oppression and systemic discrimination that "English bastard" does not.

As I said above, calling someone an English bastard is at most xenophobia, because it's simply a dislike or prejudice against people from another country.

Back