Worst result at the SOL?

Last season the Stoke result really hurt! Yesterday was embarrassing and you can slag me off for leaving when the 4th went in!

I say getting hammered off boro 0-4 was worse.
It’s an odd one. By the goal difference/goals scored rules, 0-4 is worse than 1-5. Even without the special circumstances of the Boro game though, where we were able to blame it on the ref, it doesn’t really feel like it. Letting in five seems to make 1- 5 worse.

QPR was just as bad performance and effort wise.

The difference is Blackburn had players capable of scoring. QPR could have easily won by 3 or 4 if they had a centre forward capable of scoring.

I'm taking the bairn to this training thing tomorrow. Be interesting to hear what is said, and if there are any apologies from the players / management.

QPR was just as bad performance and effort wise.

The difference is Blackburn had players capable of scoring. QPR could have easily won by 3 or 4 if they had a centre forward capable of scoring.

I'm taking the bairn to this training thing tomorrow. Be interesting to hear what is said, and if there are any apologies from the players / management.
Rigg apologised yday in the Monty suite, he got a good reception. I was quite happy to hear that he thinks the club has an unbelievable youth set up for players like him and was the main reason why he chose to stay. Hopefully he means that he’s staying this summer too.

Rigg apologised yday in the Monty suite, he got a good reception. I was quite happy to hear that he thinks the club has an unbelievable youth set up for players like him and was the main reason why he chose to stay. Hopefully he means that he’s staying this summer too.

The one player who didn't need to apologise. Made more tackles within 10 minutes of coming on than the rest did in 90 minutes. And when he showed a bit of fight there was only Jobe to really back him up.

Showed that he gave a shit at least.

It did break records for wrong reasons. Worst defeat on Easter Monday for 65 years.
Only 3rd time conceded 5 goals at the SOL.
Dodds was involved in some capacity (head coach/coach) in two of them. 🤔

The one player who didn't need to apologise. Made more tackles within 10 minutes of coming on than the rest did in 90 minutes. And when he showed a bit of fight there was only Jobe to really back him up.

Showed that he gave a shit at least.
Aye he had the unfortunate task of picking up his MOTM award though, so he had to say summit.

5-1 to Blackburn and Stoke and 4-0 Boro in the past year, games that I would expect to win every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. These teams aren't good, they are absolute shite. These results are down to our fragile mentality and lack of desire and professionalism.

Last edited:
It's probably the worst season we've had performance wise without getting relegated. Lost 19 games this year and been smashed by the Boro and Blackburn. Losing at home to Swansea, Huddersfield, Coventry, Hull. Not even mentioning the mags fiasco. Just been a horrid horrid season.

I don't think we were shocking today. Stats-wise, we actually edged it. 5-1 looks bad on us but I don't think it was a 5-1 game. It’s not like they were all over us with Patterson scrambling all over the box, all match. We made some bad defensive errors which cost us and I think the mid-table 'nothing to play for' didn't give us the drive to fight for much. It was pretty even in lots of ways
What am I missing here?
Setting aside the fact this was about the SoL, I don’t think we had any worse results at home in the 60s at all.

We've conceded 5 at home three times in the last half decade which we hadn’t done for decades prior to that. All to moderate 2nd or 3rd division sides. We’re objectively currently amidst the worst decade of our history but for whatever reason there is a reluctance to acknowledge it and talk about times gone by being worse. A promotion from the third division doesnt count as success.

When did we concede 5 to United? I remember a 4 (Ronaldo running riot)
I think when Bryan robson was playing?

Last edited:
I don't think we were shocking today. Stats-wise, we actually edged it. 5-1 looks bad on us but I don't think it was a 5-1 game. Its not like they were all over us with Patterson scrambling all over the box, all match. We made some bad defensive errors which cost us and I think the mid-table 'nothing to play for' didn't give us the drive to fight for much. It was pretty even in lots of ways though.
How were we not shocking

It was absolute shite obviously but it's by no metric our worst IMO. Ultimately an irrelevant game so the result has no impact, and embarrassment-wise pretty much every home defeat in League One was worse.
Good point. Irrelevant.
Being totally outplayed by Everton in a cup QF hurt. It signalled the beginning of the end for MON. I also recall that awful late capitulation to Burton Albion when the reality of L1 football hit home.

Back