Worst result at the SOL?

Is that our worst result at the SOL?
I don't think we were shocking today. Stats-wise, we actually edged it. 5-1 looks bad on us but I don't think it was a 5-1 game. Its not like they were all over us with Patterson scrambling all over the box, all match. We made some bad defensive errors which cost us and I think the mid-table 'nothing to play for' didn't give us the drive to fight for much. It was pretty even in lots of ways though.

It’s only the 3rd time in 43 years that we have conceded 5 goals at Home!!

Just think about that for a minute and add that the team who did it to us today hadn’t won a game for 10 games!!

So yes it’s right up there as the worst ever home performance.

Last edited:
I doubt even Grumpy Old Happy Clapper would be able to remember many more as bad as today, even in "the 60's", cos things are so much better now.

It was absolute shite obviously but it's by no metric our worst IMO. Ultimately an irrelevant game so the result has no impact, and embarrassment-wise pretty much every home defeat in League One was worse.
Irrelevant how? No competitive match is irrelevant no matter the state of the league table.

Yesterday was a massive display of the failures of the ownership which have been brewing since the summer.

To chalk yesterday off as an irrelevance is nonsensical.

It’s only the 3rd time in 43 years that we have conceded 5 goals at Home!!

Just think about that for a minute and add that the team who did it to us today hadn’t won a game for 10 games!!

So yes it’s right up there as the worst ever home performance.
4rth surely - in a competitive match - Man United, Coventry, Stoke and now Blackburn - 3 of them in the last 4 years?

I doubt even Grumpy Old Happy Clapper would be able to remember many more as bad as today, even in "the 60's", cos things are so much better now.

Setting aside the fact this was about the SoL, I don’t think we had any worse results at home in the 60s at all.

We've conceded 5 at home three times in the last half decade which we hadn’t done for decades prior to that. All to moderate 2nd or 3rd division sides. We’re objectively currently amidst the worst decade of our history but for whatever reason there is a reluctance to acknowledge it and talk about times gone by being worse. A promotion from the third division doesnt count as success.
4rth surely - in a competitive match - Man United, Coventry, Stoke and now Blackburn - 3 of them in the last 4 years?

When did we concede 5 to United? I remember a 4 (Ronaldo running riot)

We've had a few bad games over the years but that is definitely in the bottom 3 or 4 at the SoL . A team that couldn't score goals or win games and we kept falling over our own feet to let them score 5 without even f***ing trying. When we got the throw in that led to their fourth goal I turned to my brother and said we'd be better off letting them take the throw as we are so bad at them, 10 seconds later the ball is in the back of our net.

Last edited:
Setting aside the fact this was about the SoL, I don’t think we had any worse results at home in the 60s at all.

We've conceded 5 at home three times in the last half decade which we hadn’t done for decades prior to that. All to moderate 2nd or 3rd division sides. We’re objectively currently amidst the worst decade of our history but for whatever reason there is a reluctance to acknowledge it and talk about times gone by being worse. A promotion from the third division doesnt count as success.

When did we concede 5 to United? I remember a 4 (Ronaldo running riot)
can remember conceding 5 at Roker by Man U - Bryan Robson scored his fust goal for them.

To my knowledge, that was the last time we conceded 5 at home prior to the Coventry 4-5 (I could be wrong like).

When I checked on stat cat, that United team had Robson, Moran, Stapleton and Coppell as opposed to Wharton, Dolan and Szmodics :lol:
agree, only teams to score 5 since I've been going - Man u, Coventry, Stoke and Blackburn.

I have to say, I didn’t get wound up or shout even once. This is what I call my shitometer.

This was a team looking over its shoulder at relegation and fighting. We had fuck all fight because we now have 51 points and are (hopefully) safe. The only fight we had was when a 16 year old boy squared up to one of their lads.

Never mind the apologies SAFC we have had enough of this dross.

Back